FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Guess Jerrey was just asking to be asking....
roll.png

Less inclination for dogs to eat the poo since the sugars and grains have already been pre-digested.

THAT is a major plus in my mind!! :sick

Well, SUCCESS!! I started my FF on Thursday, the odor wasn't too obnoxious and today I gave some to my 22 hens. THEY LOVED IT!!!!!
So I added a bunch more dry feed/water to the 1 cup I kept and will start another batch. How long shall I wait before feeding?

No, I don't think they have ever been hungry. And even though my yard isn't planted with very much stuff they don't seem to like table scraps either. They'll eat a little bit. And they could've cared less about the boss. They do eat the dry food. With only two chickens it's almost difficult to do the fermented food because they eat so little. Although I seriously doubt either one of them ate more than a teaspoonful if that today. I could barely feel anything in their crop. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'll get more chickens in January and it might be easier then with more.

For the just two chickens thing..... I started fermented feed for ONE chicken as she is sight impaired. I did it in a glass canning jar (quart size). The hardest thing was getting it to not bubble over the top and make a mess. I would recommend this and add to place it in a bowl so it cannot make a mess. I used plastic wrap with a hole punched in the top to close the jar. It worked very well and would do for two chickens nicely.

I was surprised to read that chickens would eat BSS. Are they physically able to shell them? I have a Timneh African Grey Parrot. Her beak is designed to shell anything. I currently have 6 hens that have taken to the fermented feed; they still do quite a job on the crumble in the coop! How much FF should I be feeding them? Once - twice a day?

Well, this is day four and they still didn't touch it. I'm going to give up for now and try again in January when I get more chickens. Maybe peer pressure and less stuff to forage on will do the trick. I was using a mason jar and it did work well as far as amount. But they're just not eating it so I'm going to try later. I think the scratch and peck brand is pretty good, do you think that is the problem? I like the quality of that feed and would like to continue using it. They eat it fine dry.
Until January I will continue to give them a small amount of dry feed in the bowl that I will use for fermentative feed. Maybe that will help them realize that is the official Feed bowl. I'll let you know how it goes.

I was surprised to read that chickens would eat BSS. Are they physically able to shell them? I have a Timneh African Grey Parrot. Her beak is designed to shell anything. I currently have 6 hens that have taken to the fermented feed; they still do quite a job on the crumble in the coop! How much FF should I be feeding them? Once - twice a day?
They eat them whole, and the gizzard takes care of the shells. I do not give any dry feed, give my flock their FF in the morning, then an other feeding in the evening, if their crops indicate that they should have some. Generally, they clean up their bowls in about 2 hours.

Last edited:
Let's just pretend that they actually eat it tomorrow. So then what do I do? Can I start feeding it to them in the mornings and then opening the door? I leave before sunrise so they are still technically asleep. Or would it be better for me to feed it to them in the evening? I don't always get home before it's dark however. Will them being out in the yard all day make them so they will not eat it again? I think it is very important for them to be out in the yard and I feel bad for keeping them cooped up. I realize this is all hypothetical right now but I'm trying to plan ahead :) trying to be optimistic.

I have to go out before I leave for work while the chickens are still on the roost. The feeder is out in the run. I fill the feeder and open the chicken door to the run. I give them all they will eat for the day.

Increases protein usage by 12%(according to scientific studies)
Changes proteins and sugars to a form easily digested and utilized by a monogastric animal~amino acids.
Less feed waste due to more utilized at the point of digestion and also from feeding a wet feed.
Less feed consumed due to total nutrients increased in the feed~resulting in a decrease of total feed costs by nearly half.
Intestinal health and culture increases, intestinal villi lengthen thus increasing total absorption area and blood flow to the intestines.
Increased immune system function.
Increased parasite resistance.
Increased yolk size/weight.
Increased rate of lay.
Increased feather quality and growth, increased rate of molt recovery.
Increased scale, beak quality due to increased nutrient uptake(some have reported correction of cross beak after using FF).
Less undigested matter in the feces~resulting in less nitrogen in manure, less smell of the fecal matter, less attractant for flies, less ammonia production as there is less break down needed of waste material.
Less water consumption due to feeding wet feeds.
Less incidence of pasty butt in young chicks, faster weight gains, faster feathering of young chicks as well.
Thicker egg shells.
Less feed waste to rodent predation.
No changes in winter warmth issues as core temps do not depend on rates of digestion of feed~no more than it does for any other animal or human.
Increased mild flavor of eggs, removal of sulfur or “eggy” flavor.
Increased mild flavor of meat, removal of “gamey” flavor.
Increased overall health and appearance noted and reported with continuous use of FF.
Prebiotics and probiotics available in feed increase resistance to disease/illnesses such as coccidia, e.coli, salmonella, flagella, etc.
No raw chicken stink.
Less inclination for dogs to eat the poo since the sugars and grains have already been pre-digested.

Increases protein usage by 12%(according to scientific studies)
Changes proteins and sugars to a form easily digested and utilized by a monogastric animal~amino acids.
Less feed waste due to more utilized at the point of digestion and also from feeding a wet feed.
Less feed consumed due to total nutrients increased in the feed~resulting in a decrease of total feed costs by nearly half.
Intestinal health and culture increases, intestinal villi lengthen thus increasing total absorption area and blood flow to the intestines.
Increased immune system function.
Increased parasite resistance.
Increased yolk size/weight.
Increased rate of lay.
Increased feather quality and growth, increased rate of molt recovery.
Increased scale, beak quality due to increased nutrient uptake(some have reported correction of cross beak after using FF).
Less undigested matter in the feces~resulting in less nitrogen in manure, less smell of the fecal matter, less attractant for flies, less ammonia production as there is less break down needed of waste material.
Less water consumption due to feeding wet feeds.
Less incidence of pasty butt in young chicks, faster weight gains, faster feathering of young chicks as well.
Thicker egg shells.
Less feed waste to rodent predation.
No changes in winter warmth issues as core temps do not depend on rates of digestion of feed~no more than it does for any other animal or human.
Increased mild flavor of eggs, removal of sulfur or “eggy” flavor.
Increased mild flavor of meat, removal of “gamey” flavor.
Increased overall health and appearance noted and reported with continuous use of FF.
Prebiotics and probiotics available in feed increase resistance to disease/illnesses such as coccidia, e.coli, salmonella, flagella, etc.
No raw chicken stink.

thank you can you tell me how to get started and how to start for 32 chickens they wasted a lot of dry food this summer

Back
Top Bottom