FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Quote:
They always have grit available. The food isn't cold or wet. It's kept in the house and served every morning and an hour before coop-time. They usually gobble it up before it has a chance to get cold. They prefer to eat it off the flat surface of a big stump rather than from a dish. So it's presented in a variety of places. When they abruptly stopped eating it, I scattered it on the hay. They still didn't touch it. When I gave them dry pellets, they ate like they were starving. Meanwhile the FF is sitting there going to waste. It seems very odd that all 22 hens in two separate coops stopped eating it simultaneously. Besides the fact that the food was left in place, there was almost no poop under their roosts in the mornings. And I can't imagine all 22 are backed up at the same time. I guess I'll keep the dry pellets hanging and continue to serve a small dish of FF each day (even though I wind up tossing it) in hopes that they will renew their interest. But I'm not going to continue fermenting until they start eating again. That's simply a waste of money.

I guess you have it all under control then. Mine have never stopped eating the fermented food for any reason for the past 3+ years so I can't help you any with a problem like this. Some people seem to have all sorts of problems with the FF and some have no problem with it whatsoever, so it seems like a method that's just not meant for some folks and that's alright too.

It seems very odd that all 22 hens in two separate coops stopped eating it simultaneously. Besides the fact that the food was left in place, there was almost no poop under their roosts in the mornings. And I can't imagine all 22 are backed up at the same time.
It is odd that they all stopped at once......
.....and if no poops under all the roosts maybe they all are all 'stopped up'....haha.
Not funny really, hope they're pooping again.

The fact that they all stopped at once leads me to believe that something must have changed....
.....new bag of feed?.... change in water somehow?

Quote:
They always have grit available. The food isn't cold or wet. It's kept in the house and served every morning and an hour before coop-time. They usually gobble it up before it has a chance to get cold. They prefer to eat it off the flat surface of a big stump rather than from a dish. So it's presented in a variety of places. When they abruptly stopped eating it, I scattered it on the hay. They still didn't touch it. When I gave them dry pellets, they ate like they were starving. Meanwhile the FF is sitting there going to waste. It seems very odd that all 22 hens in two separate coops stopped eating it simultaneously. Besides the fact that the food was left in place, there was almost no poop under their roosts in the mornings. And I can't imagine all 22 are backed up at the same time. I guess I'll keep the dry pellets hanging and continue to serve a small dish of FF each day (even though I wind up tossing it) in hopes that they will renew their interest. But I'm not going to continue fermenting until they start eating again. That's simply a waste of money.
I guess you have it all under control then. Mine have never stopped eating the fermented food for any reason for the past 3+ years so I can't help you any with a problem like this. Some people seem to have all sorts of problems with the FF and some have no problem with it whatsoever, so it seems like a method that's just not meant for some folks and that's alright too.
It is odd that they all stopped at once...... .....and if no poops under all the roosts maybe they all are all 'stopped up'....haha. Not funny really, hope they're pooping again. The fact that they all stopped at once leads me to believe that something must have changed.... .....new bag of feed?.... change in water somehow?
Hmm, something DID change. They stopped eating it. Now they aren't pooping right. Or maybe they weren't pooping right, so they stopped eating it ;) I just went through an interesting discovery in this area, but on the human side... PREbiotics and PRObiotics go hand in hand. I went on a raw diet to deal with some digestive issues, and most of it was based on prebiotics and probiotics. I started fermenting my food. And then I also started fermenting the chooks' food.. The fermenting uses both the bacteria (probiotics) and the "food" for the microbes, ie the "prebiotics" are found in the grain and things like onion, garlic, asparagus etc..those things that make us "gassy" ;) There's a point here, bear with me lol ;) Try some garlic. Their digestion may be fluctuating because of a possible overload of the microbes with not enough prebiotics for the bacteria to thrive on, essentially giving them chicken gas and constipation. It worked for me, both for the chickens AND myself. Garlic has become my best ally in a probiotics rich diet all around... Andcas far as people go, the prebiotic/probiotics are absolutely what most people are missing from their diets and it can aid in so many bodily dysfunctions its almost mind boggling, the endless benefits! Sorry, that was long winded ha-ha... I've been putting 2 and 2 together on a lot of this lately, since I found out I'm pregnant at 37 years old, and think it was the prebiotics that helped lol, namely, the garlic ;)

Last edited:
No poop under the roosts is significant, no matter what the feed. If they were mine I'd give water for a day and nothing much else until I saw poops again. And, no, chickens won't suffer a day without food and for most it seems to do them some good, especially if having gastrointestinal problems.

You sure can and I have done so. Easy, peasy to squeezy that stuff right into the feed.
big_smile.png

"Sorry, that was long winded ha-ha... I've been putting 2 and 2 together on a lot of this lately, since I found out I'm pregnant at 37 years old, and think it was the prebiotics that helped lol, namely, the garlic wink.png"

Yikes. If all it took was some garlic to get pregnant, I'm clearing my frig of garlic!! Don't want to be prego at 57!!! But congratulations shortgrass!

Back to the no poop issue. Poops resumed normally after the dry pellets resumed. I don't feel comfortable giving water only when it's winter and some are molting.

Lol well it wasn't JUST the garlic ;)

But it was a big part of the prebiotic diet, and when I switched to raw vegan, my digestion slowed WAY down, and eating pickled garlic cured me of the sluggish system. I didn't do it to aid fertility, that's for sure lol, but evidently its one of the benefits of prebiotics ;)

I noticed the same thing in the chooks, when I switched them to fermented feed, their waste became almost solid, and they started getting dirty bottoms from it, so I started giving them garlic too, and it really does make a difference; plus it aids immunity too, so its a win/win...

I just feed it to them crushed, from fresh cloves, but the jar of minced stuff will work, all I have to do us toss it in the feed pan, they love it :)

Back
Top Bottom