FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I see significant reduction in the amount of feed I go through when feeding FF versus dry. My chickens don't free range, and they have a rubber mat under their feed dish, so this is taking into account the spill factor.
Another huge difference is the odor of their poop. HUGE difference. I was reminded of this over the winter when I had to switch to dry feed for a stretch. Gross.

Last edited:
You deserve some kind of medal for all you've done for the method, so I'm well satisfied with the TikkTok Method....it even has a cute ring to it!   I refer any and all questions on BYC and even outside of BYC to your site, as it has the most accurate and comprehensive explanation of the method of anywhere on the net.  For that, I thank you sooooooo much!!!  You've saved me tons of typing and frustration, so you are most decidedly NOT the lazy one here.  You are an FF hero!!!!  :D   :woot

Awww, thank you!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Last edited:
So true ...when I first read about FF I thought  " I do not want to mess with 2 buckets and straining " .. but when I read this thread and the one bucket method I thought that was not so bad... and to have it all in one doc and not wade through the whole thread , well it is wonderful to give to people. .. I have shared it in so many FB groups
:weee

1f606.png

I also use TikkTocks method. It's the best and my hens are happier because of it. I feed many, many times a day because I am obsessed and my hens are slovenly
1f602.png

I also use TikkTocks method. It's the best and my hens are happier because of it. I feed many, many times a day because I am obsessed and my hens are slovenly
1f602.png

:clap

Remember, too, that too much of a good thing is usually detrimental to their health. Because FF is nutrionally dense, they need considerably less than dry feed. It's interesting to note that obesity is becoming quite common in backyard chickens. If they are enclosed in a run, I'd be more inclined to give them a jungle gym of roosts, swings, and dangling boredom busters {like heads of veggies}. A little bit of FF goes a looooong way. My kids get about 1/2 cup each total a day.

Last edited:
Quote: Quote: If your feed consumption is lower then your most likely increasing the energy amount of the feed which could be a good thing as long as there consuming the correct amount of nutrients. (less feed eaten means there also consuming less nutrients per feeding)

I cant see my pure bred (Show quality) R.I. Red egg producers getting any bigger, lol there already 7.5 to 8 pounds and lay around 350 large to extra large eggs a year. I don't ferment my feed BUT I do a 7 day ferment on a grain mix that I mix.

If your feed consumption is lower then your most likely increasing the energy amount of the feed which could be a good thing as long as there consuming the correct amount of nutrients. (less feed eaten means there also consuming less nutrients per feeding)

I cant see my pure bred (Show quality) R.I. Red egg producers getting any bigger, lol there already 7.5 to 8 pounds and lay around 350 large to extra large eggs a year. I don't ferment my feed BUT I do a 7 day ferment on a grain mix that I mix.

Macronutrients I'm not too concerned with--a significant amount of the feed conversion savings actually comes from the microbes doing some pre-digestion for the bird (e.g. proteins --> amino acids) at the expense of some simple sugars. They especially make the amino acids lysine and methionine and omega 3 fatty acids more available.

I suspect you were talking about micronutrients though. The mineral content of the feed won't change, and the decreased activity of phytic acid (accomplished via lactic acid fermentation) actually increases the bioavailability of them (esp zinc, calcium, iron, and magnesium, phosphorus, copper). The microbes also produce increased levels of vitamins (notably B-vitamins, but others such as A and C can be elevated depending on the microbe). I looked for, but could not find, any data indicating that the bioavailability of any micronutrients was decreased by fermentation.

So, the next factor to consider is the effect of decreased intake. I don't know if the increased bioavailability offsets the decreased intake of the aforementioned micronutrients sufficiently for certain, but I suspect it does or those feeding it would notice detrimental effects. However, those people engaged in feeding FF rarely feed that exclusively. There are often treats in the form of seeds, insects, veggies/fruits, and animal protein. This plus the fact that the chickens are generally not kept indoors in a confinement operation (and therefore do at least a minimal amount of foraging) offsets any decreased intake. Especially good for the birds are sunflower seeds and leafy greens to provide additional nutrients such as selenium, molybdenum, manganese, choline, vitamin K, vitamin E, etc. and so forth.

That sounds like you do ferment part of your feed. Or is the grain mix not going to your chickens?
No the chickens are eating the grain mix but it isn't there feed.
The grain mix is used more like a scratch grain and fed at the rate of 10 lbs. (dry weight) to 90lbs of there main feed. There main feed consists of a extruded poultry feed and a *non-fermented grain mix.

The grains that I do the 7 day ferment on are grains that have hard to digest, fibrous hulls (whole oats, boss, etc.) by soaking or fermenting them fibrous hulls soften and are more digestible. Note that I ferment with a mixture of pure unsweetened unfiltered apple juice and poultry cell.

* Non fermented grain mix I talked about above is a mix of --
Hard Western Wheat, Milo, Canada Peas, Austrian Peas, Safflower, Small Yellow Corn, Popcorn, White Kafir, Oat Groats, Maple Peas, Lentils, White Millet, Red Millet, Rape, Rice, Hemp Seed, Mineral Oil.

Back
Top Bottom