FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Winter is a pain. I carried 17 birds through the winter last year. They ate FF almost 100% of the time (in addition to their sprouts). This year, I am carrying 30 birds, so may do a combination of FF and pellets. We'll see how it goes. I may also change up my waterer, make a cookie tinor stock pot heater for the water (horizontal nipples). This will free up the heated dog bowl for the FF. Any one have experience using heated dog bowl for FF? I'm concerned that it might overheat b/c there won't be any water. Less circulation.
I haven't tried it, but, the easy way to get around that would be to put a dish of ff that will kind of sit on the top of the dog bowl, then fill the dog bowl. Kind of like a double boiler, the dog bowl heats the water, the water heats the ff.

This is somewhat vaguely related. I have a heated dog water bowl on my porch for my cats. If the water dries up, the cat will curl up and sleep in it. So having something solid in the bowl with no water does not seem to be a problem. Does not seem to burn the cat, but I don't know if it would over cook the FF.

This is somewhat vaguely related. I have a heated dog water bowl on my porch for my cats. If the water dries up, the cat will curl up and sleep in it. So having something solid in the bowl with no water does not seem to be a problem. Does not seem to burn the cat, but I don't know if it would over cook the FF.
Don't you know? Cats aren't a solid! Cats are a liquid! lol, sorry, someone is actually doing a research paper on the subject stating that since the definition of a liquid is something that fills and takes the shape of the container that it is in, and that cats do this, that cats are liquid...

Don't you know? Cats aren't a solid! Cats are a liquid! lol, sorry, someone is actually doing a research paper on the subject stating that since the definition of a liquid is something that fills and takes the shape of the container that it is in, and that cats do this, that cats are liquid...

THAT IS HILARIOUS!! :lau

Hmmm... I thought gasses did that too.

Feeding FF in below zero weather: I gave up! During the last month, the feed would not stay thawed long enough for them to enjoy it. So, I cleaned out my buckets, and switched to dry pellets, with a single serving of HOT moist mash to warm them up in the morning. That kept them going.

Finally, this week has seen a break in the weather pattern. I'm ready to start FF again. However, I was not looking forward to the "wait" for the FF to "mature". Yesterday, I started 1/2 bucket of FF. For starter liquid, I used rinse water from my sprouting. By THE END OF THE DAY, the contents of that bucket were percolating like a witch's brew. Nice tangy scent to it this morning. Moving forward, I intend to keep about 3 gallons of ferment going. They will get one bowl of FF, in addition to dry pellets until the weather remains predictable so their whole feed regime can return to FF.

Back
Top Bottom