FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Started 2 batches for all my outside birds. Does this look correct? This is after stiring and feeding some to the chickens. But it also looks about the same the next morning after starting. View attachment 2153535

How many days was that? That looks about like mine after 24hrs. Once it's fermented it tends to look wetter...for want of a better word. There's also usually a softer, less dense layer in the middle.

My first batch took ridiculously long to ferment. Like 6 days. Since then, using the old as a base, it takes about 12hrs to catch up.

How many days was that? That looks about like mine after 24hrs. Once it's fermented it tends to look wetter...for want of a better word. There's also usually a softer, less dense layer in the middle.

My first batch took ridiculously long to ferment. Like 6 days. Since then, using the old as a base, it takes about 12hrs to catch up.

About a day or 2. It's been ages since I did fermented feeds. But I do like the dryer fermented feed. I also do the hot water method.

It will eventually ferment as long as you give it time. If you'd like to speed it up, you can add some bacteria and/or yeast in the form of sourdough starter, active yogurt/apple cider vinegar, active dry yeast, unpasteurized kombucha, any lacto-fermented food that hasn't been deactivated by canning (ie: homemade). If you do this, don't expose your "starter" to water warmer than your body temp. (should feel neither hot nor cold on your inner wrist.)

It will eventually ferment as long as you give it time. If you'd like to speed it up, you can add some bacteria and/or yeast in the form of sourdough starter, active yogurt/apple cider vinegar, active dry yeast, unpasteurized kombucha, any lacto-fermented food that hasn't been deactivated by canning (ie: homemade). If you do this, don't expose your "starter" to water warmer than your body temp. (should feel neither hot nor cold on your inner wrist.)

I used ACV. I think the amount is important. I used about a tablespoon to 4gal total volume of mix. It might have been too much lol.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it looked right. There was scoby when I moved, though. I'll just keep feeding until it ferminds and keep adding more once I get down to 1/4 of the bucket left. That's what I always did before. This it's called back splashing.
It works best if it's not cold where you're fermenting. I mixed in feed last night. My mash was already rising this morning. That didn't happen so fast during winter even though the garage is kept at 45°.

I go through it pretty fast, but I keep it covered to keep little flies out of it. The white kind-of powdery stuff is harmless yeast kind of stuff; you can stir it in. I don't see it a lot. I don't let the feed sit very long, though and it starts rising within a few hours on hot summer days/nights.

Back
Top Bottom