Fermented Feeds

Oh, okay. I'm a Southerner and take everything way TOO personally, lol! No worries!
smile.png

Maybe you can help answer some questions I have? I feel like I've spent a lifetime reading everything I can about fermented feed, so I felt armed enough with information to try it - but I'm still really overwhelmed with it. After the first batch of gloppy mess I made (and threw out) I was just so excited to have something that resembled what I SHOULD have!

I think my main problem with fermenting the crumbles is that it doesn't work in the feeder. I have a 5 gallon bucket feeder in the run and a small PVC feeder in the coop (so I can hit snooze on the weekends). The wet gloppy fermented stuff doesn't work in the feeders. So how do you have food out 24/7 if you're fermenting the crumbles? That's the one part of fermenting feed that I just can't figure out.

I'm also scared of all the bacteria in fermented feed. Like I said, I have two chronically sick girls. That's another reason why I added that little bit of vinegar. I keep reading about the fermenting liquid turning to moonshine (like you said!) and I got scared I'd poison them with bad bacteria, or mold, or yeast, or whatever. So I figured if I kick started with ACV then it would help ensure that I had a lactic acid bath going and I'd be less likely to accidently poison them.

I don't plan to keep adding ACV - it was just that little bit to start. I'm hoping that the rotation system (letting a jar sit a full week before using it) will help get a good ferment going. Each jar makes about a week's worth, so I just planned to slowly empty the jar through the week, then keep the old liquid, fill it back up with fresh grain, & top off with water as needed. Then let it sit while I switch to the other jar. That's because I didn't really understand adding new grain each day - then you get a mix of really fermented stuff with non-fermented stuff, which didn't make sense to me (?).

I'm just so desperate to try anything that might help get my two sickly ones healthy. I'm awfully fond of those two (nicknamed "the pooper" and "the rascal" - one because she poops every single time you pick her up, and the other because she reminds me of kids I used to teach - the super-smart ones that always caused trouble but never got caught, lol!).

I'd love any advice you're willing to give. You can even shout at me if you want!
wink.png

Go to tik tok site: http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/ You cannot beat this one for the best information. It was recommended to me. It's very long, but so good that I printed it. This will answer all your questions and give you nice pictures. It will also put your mind at ease.........read it and just breathe! FF is really easy and you'll end up loving it, and it should give your girls a boost.

Now that being said, I am not a FF purist. I personally use the ff as my "base" feed. I am semi retired and have the luxury of visiting my chickens a couple of times a day, and I only have six hens. In the morning I give them approximately 1 and 1/2- two cups ff in a pie plate (if its too liquidy I add a little dry feed around the edges). I then place about 2 cups of dry feed in a hanging feeder for them to munch on all day. I go back out around 3 o'clock, and give them the other half of the ff which is again about 1 and 1/2 cups. (I then add 2 cups dry feed to my "dirty" container mix with water and let it rest overnight to make more ff.) They also have oyster shell in a separate hanging feeder. This is also when I give them treats, scratch, boss, leftover meat, table scraps, etc. Right now I have a lot of blueberries on the bushes. They have access to lots of grass and bushes, insects, and dirt all day By eight o'clock, they are roosting in their coop for the night, the pie plate is empty, if there is any dry feed left in the hanging feeder, I add it around the edges of the pie plate with the ff the next day (so I don't have it sitting in a feeder) .(I give them fresh water twice each day. with ACV for one week (7 days) per month.
You're correct; it's very hard to use ff with a feeder. My ladies love their pie plate ff.

Thanks for all the help! @Lilyput - sounds like you've got it down to a science, lol! Those are some lucky hens for sure!

I read through the tikktok link and it was a great summary. It did clear up the feeder question, but unfortunately for now that rules out fermenting their crumbles for me. That 5 gallon bucket feeder was a total PITA to make, plus it was expensive. I finally got the stupid thing working, and after all the headache, time, & money poured into that thing I can't get rid of it.

I also just don't think I can handle making yet *another* feed system and deal with a bucket or cooler of fermented glop. I'm going to have to slowly work myself up to that one, lol!

So I think I'm going to just stick to dry crumbles in the bucket for now, with a small "supper" of fermented grains. Once this bag of scratch is gone I will look into making my own grain mix that is more 'food' and less 'treat' and ferment that. So not the full benefit of fermented feed, but hopefully any amount of fermenting is better than none at all.

I'll end up doing the ACV in the water as well, but right now they're still on jump start powder in the water (vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics). They need that more than the vinegar.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the help! @Lilyput - sounds like you've got it down to a science, lol! Those are some lucky hens for sure!

I read through the tikktok link and it was a great summary. It did clear up the feeder question, but unfortunately for now that rules out fermenting their crumbles for me. That 5 gallon bucket feeder was a total PITA to make, plus it was expensive. I finally got the stupid thing working, and after all the headache, time, & money poured into that thing I can't get rid of it.

I also just don't think I can handle making yet *another* feed system and deal with a bucket or cooler of fermented glop. I'm going to have to slowly work myself up to that one, lol!

So I think I'm going to just stick to dry crumbles in the bucket for now, with a small "supper" of fermented grains. Once this bag of scratch is gone I will look into making my own grain mix that is more 'food' and less 'treat' and ferment that. So not the full benefit of fermented feed, but hopefully any amount of fermenting is better than none at all.

I'll end up doing the ACV in the water as well, but right now they're still on jump start powder in the water (vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics). They need that more than the vinegar.

Thanks again!

Sounds good; everyone's situation is very different. If you can, just make a small batch and use it like I do (almost as a treat), you've already invested a lot in your feeding system and it's working well for you. Hope your two babies make it! Lots of luck!

With the fermented crumbles, I only feed enough for them to eat it in a short period. Otherwise it draws flies really bad. Some say chickens should not be left on feed 24/7, feed them in the morning and evening....but I always say do what works for you!

Good advice. My chicks eat it all in about 20 minutes and I do it again later in the pm.

Thanks again!

You do what feels right for you I get tired of it sometimes. But the benefits, ah the benefits. I spent money on a guy to build me a wooden trough out of 2" x 6" x 6' long. Way too big and bulky for the space. What was I thinking? A cheap round cake pan will work......no it won't because of the ferment.
lau.gif
My daughter is a dog groomer and just made a run to Petco for supplies and brought me back a stainless dog bowl.. Perfect. Too big for the babies but it's perfect for my 4 mo pullets. $7 and will last forever.

Aloha 6of6chicks,

I hope you keep trying with other grains. Iʻm not sure what happened with your grower crumbles but they should have worked. Maybe too much ACV and the 1/8 tsp. was a better choice the 2nd time.

Remember that these are the good bacteria who fight against the bad bacteria for survival. Same thing goes for the biota in our own gut. When the bad bacterias or yeast take over our digestive system, we get auto-immune diseases like eczema, arthritis, fibromyalgia etc. Thatʻs why eating fermented foods like kim-chi and yogurt are good for us. But we are only beginning to understand how to alter the biota of our digestive systems. We donʻt always know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. 1/3 of our dūdū is bacteria.

We ferment our grains to help break down the cellulose and other hard to digest molecules, but we also ferment to give our chickies a good digestive biota.

Awesome information the last couple days gang. Thank you guys so much.

Aloha, Puhi

You do what feels right for you I get tired of it sometimes. But the benefits, ah the benefits. I spent money on a guy to build me a wooden trough out of 2" x 6" x 6' long. Way too big and bulky for the space. What was I thinking? A cheap round cake pan will work......no it won't because of the ferment.
lau.gif
My daughter is a dog groomer and just made a run to Petco for supplies and brought me back a stainless dog bowl.. Perfect. Too big for the babies but it's perfect for my 4 mo pullets. $7 and will last forever.

I use a glass pie pan or glass bowl for ff; but, again, I only have six hens. I really like the glass because it's easy to wipe out and I can throw it in the dishwasher once in a while.

Aloha,

I use a terra cotta pan, but they keep stepping in it. I also use he round kind for the babies with 6 pukas on the top.

I just bought this feeder with a bar that goes down the middle above the feed. Weʻll see how it goes. The gap for eating is kinda narrow.

Aloha, Puhi

Back
Top Bottom