Fermented Feeds

If he is having problems with too much yeast and not enough LABs in his ferment then it will help to add culture to it to get a head start on the LABs over the yeast.

That is why I suggested this for him . And it also depends what bacteria you want growing in your grain or feed and how you want it to taste the hens.

I have made some ferments they can't stand and won't eat. Different LABs reduce dif grains to different tastes and levels of acid.

I have seen them take a bite and shake their heads like mad when the acid is too strong.

So yes sometimes it is necessary to use a culture to start it.

The reason I posted that site was because it goes into detail and explains the issue with yeast and alcohol for him or anyone else having alcohol issues.

Its not laughable having drunk hens.
I hope that helps you understand why I posted those things.

But I do disagree with the article you posted that there is no need to cover with water or cover the ferment.
If you don't it may grow yeast on top and mold.
I used to let mine do this and fed the yeast as well
one day it was thicker and some gray not dark black areas, no fuzzy mold appearance so I did as this woman suggested and fed it to my hens and 2 died.

And I use all organic and non-GMO grains and feeds. But one feed may have had mold on it, you never now how long its been in a warehouse, and maybe it was the yeast and alcohol in it. I don't know.
That is why now I use fresh cracked grains and whole grains or seeds not mash or pellets which are the wasteproduct of the flour milling process. Why do you think your label says, grain products or by-products, middlings, dust etc. It is the waste dust they sweep or vacuum up from milling grain and glue together with sugar or molasses.

I would not want to stir in any mold, certainly not the day I am feeding, it takes time to be eaten but I see no need to feed any small amount of mold it just is not healthy.

There is no need for it. After that I kept my ferment not only with water over it as before but also with a lid on it loose enough to let CO2 escape but help keep air out. It takes oxygen to grow mold and most yeast but not LABs.

no you don't have to do this, but best practices which are simple not complicated and safe are"

Keep water over the ferment and beware it expands.
Keep a lid on it
Stir daily
Use cracked or whole grains rather than feed or pellets
Make 3 batches/jars/tubs so that as one is used up near completely you add new grain to the liquid and more water and maybe mineral or sea salt, one batch for each day so all of it has fermented 3 days, rather than adding some back in as you take out so then some of it only ferments one day.

That is my experience.

Last edited:
no need to add sugar, yeast will ferment grain to alcohol
It will take a little more than natural yeast and grain to make alcohol and even then with out sugar the amount of alcohol would be quite low.

Now if the grain was sprouted thats a different story.

Aloha,
I put rolled barley in mine, not sure if that is a factor. But My nose is very sensitive to alcohol. I can smell it pretty strong when I am scooping. Not sure how much though. The older ones like it better than the younger ones. Aloha, Puhi

I added water to scratch grains after a few days the fermented feed smells like sulphur. Should I dump it?

I only use feed and water; mine smells delicious (a little like my sourdough for pancakes). I wouldn't dump it, I would just add regular feed stir well, have it nice and moist, and crack the cover. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom