Fermented Feeds

4 days into FF and this morning when I let them out, after filling up the dry food, water and the FF. They flew out of the coop and bypassed the dry food and water, which they have never done, and went for the FF first. I think they like! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the making of this thread.

4 days into FF and this morning when I let them out, after filling up the dry food, water and the FF. They flew out of the coop and bypassed the dry food and water, which they have never done, and went for the FF first. I think they like! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the making of this thread.

That's wonderful.
welcome-byc.gif
I'd not bother leaving the dry out. And you'll need to water a lot less because they are getting it already. Win-Win.

Well, today was a flop. The girls only ate 1/2 of the FF? I have been adding to the jar as I take out, but I did have to add a lot of new water. As I get the water from the fridge I also warm it up in the microwave, no warmer then 90. It did have a "good" smell but not real strong like it has had, could this have just not been "ready" for use yet? I did also move it to the top of the fridge 3 days ago, as the weather was only in the high 60's and the laundry room follows the out side temps.
barnie.gif
My wife was not too happy with the FF jar on the fridge, but I explained all the good this FF does for her birds!!

So do we all agree that it was just not "ready" to be used Or did I do something wrong? should I just use 3 jars and rotate, we only have 2 girls and a roo 7 weeks old. Thanks

Is it safe to assume that if the FF is smelling like sourdough, and there's a thin white film on top, I've got yeast instead of LAB and need to start over again? Though, with how good and sourdoughy it's smelling, maybe I should save the liquid and mix it in some flour and have starter...

Is it safe to assume that if the FF is smelling like sourdough, and there's a thin white film on top, I've got yeast instead of LAB and need to start over again? Though, with how good and sourdoughy it's smelling, maybe I should save the liquid and mix it in some flour and have starter...
I 100% AGREE with Bee. DO NOT throw it out! You are getting a good ferment and it is supposed to smell like sourdough. The white film is perfectly normal. Stir that into the bucket and keep going! How often are you refreshing? How many birds are you feeding? As answered in the previous post, wait until your bucket is close to empty then add in enough water and new feed.. stir well and you should be ready to feed again by the following day.

Well, today was a flop. The girls only ate 1/2 of the FF? I have been adding to the jar as I take out, but I did have to add a lot of new water. As I get the water from the fridge I also warm it up in the microwave, no warmer then 90. It did have a "good" smell but not real strong like it has had, could this have just not been "ready" for use yet? I did also move it to the top of the fridge 3 days ago, as the weather was only in the high 60's and the laundry room follows the out side temps.
barnie.gif
My wife was not too happy with the FF jar on the fridge, but I explained all the good this FF does for her birds!!

So do we all agree that it was just not "ready" to be used Or did I do something wrong? should I just use 3 jars and rotate, we only have 2 girls and a roo 7 weeks old. Thanks
If you only have 3 chicks at 7 weeks old they won't be eating much anyway. I think I fed my 4 girls at that age about 1/2 cup total spread out over 2 feedings per day.

Back
Top Bottom