Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Quote:
Hi Linda, Merry Christmas! I don't get on here every day. I can't, it is so addictive and a major time consumer. I don't have leftovers or good treats for my girls. All I do is add alfalfa to their ff to help replace the yard greens they don't get in the winter time. They regularly get flour tortillas and currently, pecans. Every day I collect them off the ground then smash them with a hammer. Talk about a feeding frenzy! They love them. When they spot one on the sidewalk and I am near they will stand by it and carry on until I come and step on it for them. Smart girls!

Here's an idea;

Step 1. Make a simple flytrap, plastic water bottle with top cut off, stick cut off top upside down into the opening you made.

Step 2. Put fruit/fermented feed/whatever attracts flies and quails eat in bottom.

Step 3. Put anywhere outside

step 4. Profit.

Great way to get rid of the flies and give your quail a very nutritious snack.

Anyone actually do this is a larger scale?

Last edited:
Here's an idea;

Step 1. Make a simple flytrap, plastic water bottle with top cut off, stick cut off top upside down into the opening you made.

Step 2. Put fruit/fermented feed/whatever attracts flies and quails eat in bottom.

Step 3. Put anywhere outside

step 4. Profit.

Great way to get rid of the flies and give your quail a very nutritious snack.

Anyone actually do this is a larger scale?

I made 2 last year to put in the coop to cut down on flies, didn't catch one fly.

I made 2 last year to put in the coop to cut down on flies, didn't catch one fly.

lau.gif
You have the same kind of luck I do!
lau.gif

Aloha,

The bottom(open end) needs to be a couple inches from the ground preferably over dog poo. Use chop sticks. The flies fly up into the funnel and cannot get out. The bigger the better.

Aloha, Puhi

Thanks puhi, this helped me catch the big black flies all over the dog poo. Works like a charm for fruit flies but the black ones need the entrance on the ground like you said, thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom