Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

If you want wood oak is what's used in whiskey barrels and by a cheese making nun I just read about in Wisconsin the acidic properties of oak and fermentation actually kill bacterial bloom and this nun got a degree in micro biology so she could fight the FDA when they told her she had to use stainless steal.
She won her fight and is selling naturally fermented cheese in WI

Not to get off topi c but it seems that wood wouldn't be the most sanitary container for fermenting cheese. How are you supposed to clean the barrel between batches? All I can say is YUCK!

Thats what stainless steel is about in the food industry. It's not usually about alcohol but about being clean lol.

The grains used in this book's recommendations are all cooked grains and very few of them. I think it is based on the idea that they need some of the more complex carbohydrates and also that they never ate them themselves but when prey is killed by wolves or what have you, they consume the digestive tract first.... getting their pre-digested or fermented grains that way.
Lovely picture!

Fermentation and sanitation don't agree with each other the idea is to promote a healthy environment for good bacteria while unfriendly to bad bacteria. A stainless steal bowl will sanitize to over 99% but once bad bacteria is accidentally introduced it blooms at over 100 times the rate of an oak bowl so in the same situation an outbreak in wood will make you a lot less sick

Hi All,
New chicken mom here. Quick question about FF and water consumption, I have 5-3 week old Black Australorps. I have been giving them FF since I got them at 3 days old. For the first week they drank lots of water and the FF. Now they barely touch the water and gobble up the feed. I do give the FF to them a bit mushy, so are they getting enough water in the FF that they don't need to drink any water? I offer them clean water with a bit of Braggs ACV every day. They just dont drink it.
Thanks

Quote: I was going to say the same thing me me me, I thought everyone knew whiskey got it's color from CHARRED OAK BARRELS, but perhaps I only know it from living in Indiana and Kentucky is known around the world for being a whiskey manufacturing state. (maker's mark Jim Beam Wild Turkey and Evan Williams among other makes are produced there). It is clear before being put into barrels. In fact Jim Beam is made in a dry county so if you tour the plant (yes they give tours!) you are served lemonade because you can't buy alcohol there.

I was going to say the same thing me me me, I thought everyone knew whiskey got it's color from CHARRED OAK BARRELS, but perhaps I only know it from living in Indiana and Kentucky is known around the world for being a whiskey manufacturing state. (maker's mark Jim Beam Wild Turkey and Evan Williams among other makes are produced there). It is clear before being put into barrels. In fact Jim Beam is made in a dry county so if you tour the plant (yes they give tours!) you are served lemonade because you can't buy alcohol there.
lol it's always good to know I'm not alone in my opinion

Hi All,
New chicken mom here. Quick question about FF and water consumption, I have 5-3 week old Black Australorps. I have been giving them FF since I got them at 3 days old. For the first week they drank lots of water and the FF. Now they barely touch the water and gobble up the feed. I do give the FF to them a bit mushy, so are they getting enough water in the FF that they don't need to drink any water? I offer them clean water with a bit of Braggs ACV every day. They just dont drink it.
Thanks

They still need clean, fresh water at all times, but you will definitely see their water consumption drop when using fermented feed. They do get a good amount of their water requirements through the feed, especially if you are feeding extra mushy like you said. The slop from the fermented feed is extremely nutritious for them, too, so it'll be more beneficial to them than water with UP-ACV.

As long as they seem healthy, don't stress too much about how much they eat or drink. It doesn't matter how much feed I put out for my clan, they will devour every bit of it before mid-day and then lay around. I've had to resort to only feeding in the morning and forcing them to scavenge for the rest of the day.

Hi All,
Thanks

They still need clean, fresh water at all times, but you will definitely see their water consumption drop when using fermented feed. They do get a good amount of their water requirements through the feed, especially if you are feeding extra mushy like you said. The slop from the fermented feed is extremely nutritious for them, too, so it'll be more beneficial to them than water with UP-ACV.

As long as they seem healthy, don't stress too much about how much they eat or drink. It doesn't matter how much feed I put out for my clan, they will devour every bit of it before mid-day and then lay around. I've had to resort to only feeding in the morning and forcing them to scavenge for the rest of the day.

And definitely don't take away their water. They're drinking it it's just that when they're that small you can hardly tell but I guarantee they are.

Thanks you for your replies. Their water will stay put, I just wanted to make sure they were getting enough. I feed them with a fresh batch of the FF when ever it is getting low so they always have feed in the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom