Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Quote:
And asking is fine! Refusing to take a woman's "no thanks" for an answer, however, is not respectful at all - it's a sign that that man doesn't respect women's boundaries.

Ok...maybe this has been covered, but does anybody think sprouting grains may be comparable. To ff? I know sprouted wheat is extremely. Healthful and that many other sprouted seeds exhibit their highest levels of nutrients at sprouting. Does anyone do both? I think I would love to try to sprout some seeds to go along with my ff. I just gave my flock a handful of my wheatgrass and they showed their most greedy selves.
I plan to sprout grains for my flock when the dry season hits here, I will start about November and keep it going till maybe the end of May (our dry season can be very dry). The grass here when it is dry turns brown so this will give them some greens along with the FF. I will be using a little system similar to this system a fellow BYC member has set up, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ry-sink-fodder-growing-setup/90#post_11606320. No idea yet how much or how often but as others are doing it will be a great thing for the chocks to forage in when the grass has turned brown. Here just finding the grains at a somewhat reasonable price is the big thing. As far as it being comparable to FF I don't know I just like the idea of being able to give them greens when greens are needed.
D.gif

Last edited:
We have only two and a half acres of land. 1/2 acre (roughly) is out front of our house by the road, and is (sadly) mainly unused except for flower beds and our raspberry patch on the side. Behind the house, we have 1 acre completely fenced in with chain-link fence (a huge blessing - it was here when we moved in! ) Within this acre on the west side we have a 30ft x 150ft garden, which is fenced off from the chickens, then on the east side there is the main coop (a 10x12ft shed) with an attached fenced in 22x150?ft run that we seeded for clover and forage greens and there are a few natural shrubs and other things. Beside the main coop is a 20x 25ft fenced yard with a 6x8 coop inside (our pullet grow out pen). It was also seeded for forage this spring before the pullets were out of the brooder. It also now has our four meat rabbit breeder cages in a covered section beside the coop. Behind that coop is our strawberry patch - about 20x100?ft which is also fenced off from the chickens. The rest of the acre yard is open for the chickens during free range time - it includes a Large (highbush cranberry?) bush that they love to hide under, several pine trees, a curly willow, a Large (and I mean LARGE) wooden playset with sand box, a HUGE deck to hide under, a compost pile to scratch through, and much more.

Our second acre is behind the fenced acre. It is not fenced in and includes a natural stream/wetland/runoff from all the neighboring farms. We dug a nice pond in the middle of that area, and my sister keeps her ducks there. There is a section this side of the stream that includes a coop and large pen where we keep the extra cockerels for growing out to edible size. Behind the stream is a meadow, where my brother runs his hoop houses when he raises a batch of Cornish broilers.

Basically our schedule is as follows. The Bantam flock gets free range of the yard during the morning. At noon, I put the Bantams back in their 4x8 tractor coop/pen and let out the main laying flock to free range until sundown. The pullets and cockerels stay in their yards all day, except for the young ones that are still being raised by a broody from the main flock. They get to free range with their mama.

So there you go! More than you probably wanted to know about our land and system.
tongue.png
Sorry, I tend to get detailed when I write.
That sounds like a pretty incredible place. I told my wife recenlty that I wanted to switch from silver as our retirement/investing, to land with a natural spring with no declining water table. And NO MORE OILFIELD.

Anything in a tractor, I'd feed only once a day. Maybe consider not letting the banties free range, since they're in a tractor that you can move. Instead, let your cockerels or pullets free range the first half of the day, and only feed once in the evening. The main flock could get fed a little bit in the morning, then a little in the evening. Since they do get to free range ahlf the day, take one feedings worth of food, and split that between the morning and evening feedings.

If the hoop houses are tractors, maybe use those for pullets or cockerels and move it around, this would cut feeding to once/day as well.

Does that make sense? Not sure if eveything came out the way I wanted it to.

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, woke up by my dogs having a fit - two stray dogs trying to break into my coop/run. They didn't have any luck, thank goodness. I didn't have any luck either because I was not well prepared, if you know what I mean. But I imagine they will be back. What a way to start the day - half asleep, half dressed, jumping on a 4-wheeler in the pouring rain to chase after stupid dogs. I hope my attire didn't scare any passersby. lol

A few days ago I was talking to my mom about dogs killing chickens back in her day. She said it was rare and dogs that did kill chickens were killed. Plus, back then the chickens were a major part of what fed the family. She was telling me about how grocery trucks use to come through where she lived and people would swap live chickens and eggs for groceries. I love hearing about times back then.

Boy oh boy, woke up by my dogs having a fit - two stray dogs trying to break into my coop/run. They didn't have any luck, thank goodness. I didn't have any luck either because I was not well prepared, if you know what I mean. But I imagine they will be back. What a way to start the day - half asleep, half dressed, jumping on a 4-wheeler in the pouring rain to chase after stupid dogs. I hope my attire didn't scare any passersby. lol

A few days ago I was talking to my mom about dogs killing chickens back in her day. She said it was rare and dogs that did kill chickens were killed. Plus, back then the chickens were a major part of what fed the family. She was telling me about how grocery trucks use to come through where she lived and people would swap live chickens and eggs for groceries. I love hearing about times back then.
LMAO...sorry I'm just picturing the 4-wheeler scenario because that's something I'd do. Then again I'm almost always "prepared" so maybe not.

My one Great Aunt was telling me something similar. She was born and raised on the family farm, so I take her stories a bit more seriously than my Dad's, since he only visited the farm and didn't actually live there.

LMAO...sorry I'm just picturing the 4-wheeler scenario because that's something I'd do. Then again I'm almost always "prepared" so maybe not.

My one Great Aunt was telling me something similar. She was born and raised on the family farm, so I take her stories a bit more seriously than my Dad's, since he only visited the farm and didn't actually live there. 

Oh yeah, that was another one of those things that would be hilarious to watch happening to somebody else on TV or something, but at the time not funny at all. lol I was thinking ...if I was to clear out things from here to the coop I could just raise the window and...!!! Just like Granny would do it on the Beverly Hillbillies. lol

My mom is 85 and grew up back in the Depression days. She has lots of stories to tell that I could just sit and listen to all day. You would think I have heard them all but I hear a new one now and then. Her family and relatives grew up poor like most everybody did back then. That makes for some really interesting stories.

Oh yeah, that was another one of those things that would be hilarious to watch happening to somebody else on TV or something, but at the time not funny at all. lol I was thinking ...if I was to clear out things from here to the coop I could just raise the window and...!!! Just like Granny would do it on the Beverly Hillbillies. lol

My mom is 85 and grew up back in the Depression days. She has lots of stories to tell that I could just sit and listen to all day. You would think I have heard them all but I hear a new one now and then. Her family and relatives grew up poor like most everybody did back then. That makes for some really interesting stories.
That's about how old my Great Aunt is, they also were/are Catholic and their parents were Polish immigrants. So, living where they did, they weren't as excepted as they would have been if they had been a little bit further South. Literally 20 miles South of the farm there is a much larger Catholic and Polish population. Anyway, on top of being poor like everyone else in the area, they were "socially" poor as well. Makes for some "interesting" stories, that's for sure lol. Not to mention learning about the alternate uses for some stuff, or home remedies and it's great just how many work!.

I've tried the fermenting feed process for my free ranger also.I was told by a friend that their family use to raise chicken what they did was add apple cider vinegar to their water . By doing this the chickens the feed in their gizzards would naturally speed up the process of digestion in their craw. It keeps the water clearer also in their waterer . I add a table spoon to one gallon of water more like a spash really no measureing . I also add either garlic powder or cayenne to the feed. Kills parasites cayenne is faster . Garlic takes longer for it to build up in them. . Also gonna use tumeric in their last two weeks so they gain more weight

I think these wise older (in chicken experience) folks on here are already onto the ACV...I want to do that myself for sure...I just began my chicken journey. but tell me about turmeric... what does it purportedly do -how does it make them gain weight and how much do you use? I know turmeric is great for humans and can even lower the free radicals generated by bbqing meats when used as a rub. I get turmeric super cheap at the Indian markets near me so I'm ready to mix it into the feed for any good reason.

Just a thought, does anyone notice a flavor difference in the birds when they feed them different potent spices or garlic? I know that can carry over to the eggs, but how about the meat...kinda like the idea of preseasoning.

As for he great older generations who went through poverty and actually experienced farm life...I swear I identify with and like that generation much more than my own. People back then seemed to develop charachter and understand what was important. These days, people my age are hell bent on wasting their lives pursuing wealth, getting attention and drinking /doing drugs. I swear, I don't get it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom