Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Both our Silkies get up to the main roost, which is about three feet up. I'm sure they probably use the two lower roosts to get there, but never assume they are happy on the ground.

Lmao! A Silkie escalator...

I bet they are cute! ...even if they do look like a dust mop. LOL

It is humid here too so I don't know how well it will work. I suppose I could just do it and see. Wish I lived by the ocean - minus tsunamis and hurricanes. ha
That would require a move to the left... er... West coast. As long as you live interior to the coastal range(s), no risk of tsunami. Would have to be of world ending proportions. In which case, grab a surf board.

Thanks foreverlearning.
smile.png
I am also using totes from Walmart. I'm wondering if they are a little big - 18 gallon. Three birds could fit in there and I do see two sometimes. I believe they had rather have some "private time" while laying. lol These totes were a little under $5 each. I took a paper plate and drew a circle on the end (leaving the bottom part straight) then I used a box cutter to cut it out. I made the opening about three inches up from the bottom so shavings would stay in. I need to cut a piece of old water hose, split it long-ways and zip tie it on the bottom/straight part where they step in. I pop open the lid and reach in for the eggs. That way I can see what I am doing and won't reach in and find a snake. lol I figure being plastic I can take them out and give them a thorough washing when I need to and they should last as long as I do. lol It would be easier to gather eggs if they were up off the floor...hmmm. I think it will come down to space and arrangement in the coop.
I've also got one that lays on the floor every day. She doesn't have a certain spot though. I guess where ever she is when she gets the pain she just drops it. lol

The one I have is black and no cutting required. It is a homz kids. It came with the skinny side open with a lip. Works great as a roost as I can fit a fist sideways under it. I don't understand it as a storage solution, why would you want to store something in a container that has 3/4 of a side missing? The first time I saw it it screamed nest box. Mine is 12"x15" and probably 24" high. They have a bigger one but the opening looked like a tight squeeze. I tried the regular totes and cut out the openings and seperated them with cardboard. The problem is that my coop decided to roost on those instead of their roosting bar and it was taking op quite a bit of room. Now I just stack the two small ones and it works great. When I used pine shavings I put a brick in the top one so it wouldn't tip over when someone got in. Now I use sand and don't need the brick.

Small one I have: (mine is black)
0007352710010_180X180.jpg

Large:
7720BK-06.JPG

The one I have is black and no cutting required. It is a homz kids. It came with the skinny side open with a lip. Works great as a roost as I can fit a fist sideways under it. I don't understand it as a storage solution, why would you want to store something in a container that has 3/4 of a side missing? The first time I saw it it screamed nest box. Mine is 12"x15" and probably 24" high. They have a bigger one but the opening looked like a tight squeeze. I tried the regular totes and cut out the openings and seperated them with cardboard. The problem is that my coop decided to roost on those instead of their roosting bar and it was taking op quite a bit of room. Now I just stack the two small ones and it works great. When I used pine shavings I put a brick in the top one so it wouldn't tip over when someone got in. Now I use sand and don't need the brick. Small one I have: (mine is black)
Large:
7720BK-06.JPG
Yep Foreverlearning, that red one looks perfect for a nest box! I have not seen those in Walmart. What section are they in? Are they with all the other totes? Mine is about 23 long and 18 wide at the top and about 15 inches deep. I cut the hole in the narrow end. They come in a pink color, green and blue. I looked at covered litter boxes but they were too high, like $12-15.

That would require a move to the left... er... West coast. As long as you live interior to the coastal range(s), no risk of tsunami. Would have to be of world ending proportions. In which case, grab a surf board.

I might be too right to go left! They would probably send me packing! LOL I live probably 800 miles from the southern coast but one of those hurricanes a few years ago tore things up here! Crazy!

Yep Foreverlearning, that red one looks perfect for a nest box! I have not seen those in Walmart. What section are they in? Are they with all the other totes? Mine is about 23 long and 18 wide at the top and about 15 inches deep. I cut the hole in the narrow end. They come in a pink color, green and blue. I looked at covered litter boxes but they were too high, like $12-15.

Mine was an isle or two away from the tote isle. Between the totes and canning items on the top shelf. Now that they have college areas you might find them there. Doesn't it just scream nest box and not storage? The lid snaps tightly in place yet is still easy to get off and it is thick plastic. I thought I would have to put vent holes in the back because we often get over 100 here but my girls like it the way it is. I was cleaning them out on the other side of the fence the other day and my main pullet flew over the fence to lay an egg then just went back. I haven't had to cover it or add vents, they like it as it is.

The one I have is black and no cutting required. It is a homz kids. It came with the skinny side open with a lip. Works great as a roost as I can fit a fist sideways under it. I don't understand it as a storage solution, why would you want to store something in a container that has 3/4 of a side missing? The first time I saw it it screamed nest box. Mine is 12"x15" and probably 24" high. They have a bigger one but the opening looked like a tight squeeze. I tried the regular totes and cut out the openings and seperated them with cardboard. The problem is that my coop decided to roost on those instead of their roosting bar and it was taking op quite a bit of room. Now I just stack the two small ones and it works great. When I used pine shavings I put a brick in the top one so it wouldn't tip over when someone got in. Now I use sand and don't need the brick.

Small one I have: (mine is black)

Large:
7720BK-06.JPG
Where do you find these for 5 each? That's really neat. And could you explain the brick idea? I'm not understanding. :)

Where do you find these for 5 each? That's really neat. And could you explain the brick idea? I'm not understanding. :)

Walmart. The tag on the shelf reads $7.98, but all across the country they are ringing up at $5. I have 2 stacked, when I was using pine shavings they were really light so I put a brick in the back of the top one under the shavings. It prevented the top one from tipping when a girl roosted on the edge to check it out. The lipped portion is pretty deep so there was enough room and the girls didn't notice. I have since changed to sand for the coop and nesting boxes so the weight of the sand prevents their weight from tipping if they roost on it. Even my Jersey Giants fit in it with plenty of room. I don't have them attached to anything, hence the weight. They are super easy to clean as they are thick plastic.

Back
Top Bottom