Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Mine don't drink much summer or winter and I'm assuming it's because of the moisture in the feeds. Wild birds get a lot of moisture from the foods they consume as well and so they don't need to drink as often as our domestic birds do, but with this FF our birds are much like they are. And the moisture they are consuming is loaded with vitamins, nutrients and probiotics, so it's a win/win.

Yep, my chickens hardly drink any water any more. But I still give it to them every day. I don't want to take any chances in regard to that. When summer comes, I wouldn't want to be out of the habit of making sure they have plenty of water all day every day.

Actually, since my hens have started laying again after their molt, their water intake has increased quite a bit. Eggs have a lot of moisture in them. Part of the reason could be that it has been unseasonably warm for this time of year. Sorry y'all. But we've been having temps in the 50s and down in the 20s at night.

Last edited:
oh in the summer they are kept over fully stocked in water, i have about 5 double sided dishes that i keep full, and if it gets too hot they get ice in their water and birdy/bunny dunks lol but those are the ones stuck in the barn till late spring.... they are getting a brandy new coop, but until then...

a few weeks ago i ran short of FF and had to feed scratch for about 2 days, and they drank so much... even for a few days after...

ive also noticed that the NH crosses do not hold as great a weight on the FF in comparison to every other bird i have, i have 3 red crosses and 3 EE's that are going to freezer camp soon, the EE's are a month younger, and are borderline fat (i prefer to plump in the last 2 weeks before butcher to get extra fat to put away to be rendered) but dang, those reds, i put more food into them than anyone, they look great, but to pick em up, they still have a prominent keel bone, they done exactly feel skinny, but for what they are eating, and the size of their pens, i dont see how they dont gain more... the reds i did before, one of them was a beautiful bird, i was impressed with the fat on the one, the weight... the others were what i would consider normal, one was kinda runty... i do them in pen groups, i put them together based off size usually... these were all tall, but it was obvious who got more food :x I now to groups of 2 when i can to limit competition... but they just wont bulk up.... i have to cut my other birds back and move some of them out atleast when feeding because some of them are really too porky, and a few others are more skinny, but i feed in a long trough, plus an extra dish and i always see everyone eating, with a little left over that they pick at for the next hr or so...
hu.gif

but its helping me choose who im going to cull, this is the first year i checked weights on everyone, and just looking you wouldnt realize what was going on under those feathers... i have 2 pullets (was 3) that are the only survivors of 15 hatch mates.. something hit just them no other birds, and knocked them off steadily.. they would be fine, then drop weight, id separate for feeding, sometimes take them inside but once they got symptoms, they died... these little pullets act cold almost all the time, when i feed they are very active, one flys into the bucket every time, then after a bit that one will go sit in the sun by the door all fluffed up... not sick like, but cold, they cant put fat on it seems... but within this week ive noticed they have put a little on, i checked them today.. but idk if they will make it... not a single other bird in there is acting odd, just the ones from that hatch, i think it was aug. they are small birds too... not even close to being ready to lay...

oh in the summer they are kept over fully stocked in water, i have about 5 double sided dishes that i keep full, and if it gets too hot they get ice in their water and birdy/bunny dunks lol but those are the ones stuck in the barn till late spring.... they are getting a brandy new coop, but until then...

a few weeks ago i ran short of FF and had to feed scratch for about 2 days, and they drank so much... even for a few days after...

ive also noticed that the NH crosses do not hold as great a weight on the FF in comparison to every other bird i have, i have 3 red crosses and 3 EE's that are going to freezer camp soon, the EE's are a month younger, and are borderline fat (i prefer to plump in the last 2 weeks before butcher to get extra fat to put away to be rendered) but dang, those reds, i put more food into them than anyone, they look great, but to pick em up, they still have a prominent keel bone, they done exactly feel skinny, but for what they are eating, and the size of their pens, i dont see how they dont gain more... the reds i did before, one of them was a beautiful bird, i was impressed with the fat on the one, the weight... the others were what i would consider normal, one was kinda runty... i do them in pen groups, i put them together based off size usually... these were all tall, but it was obvious who got more food :x I now to groups of 2 when i can to limit competition... but they just wont bulk up.... i have to cut my other birds back and move some of them out atleast when feeding because some of them are really too porky, and a few others are more skinny, but i feed in a long trough, plus an extra dish and i always see everyone eating, with a little left over that they pick at for the next hr or so...
hu.gif

but its helping me choose who im going to cull, this is the first year i checked weights on everyone, and just looking you wouldnt realize what was going on under those feathers... i have 2 pullets (was 3) that are the only survivors of 15 hatch mates.. something hit just them no other birds, and knocked them off steadily.. they would be fine, then drop weight, id separate for feeding, sometimes take them inside but once they got symptoms, they died... these little pullets act cold almost all the time, when i feed they are very active, one flys into the bucket every time, then after a bit that one will go sit in the sun by the door all fluffed up... not sick like, but cold, they cant put fat on it seems... but within this week ive noticed they have put a little on, i checked them today.. but idk if they will make it... not a single other bird in there is acting odd, just the ones from that hatch, i think it was aug. they are small birds too... not even close to being ready to lay...
The ones you are going to cull, do you keep them in a small pen or area? Don't give them the chance of running it off.

running it off? you mean the calories? all my chickens are in smaller pens than id like atm... I just about got rid of all my large birds, im going to start over with them later when my situation improves, they are in a 20x20 pen, i have 14 in there, all banties except the 2 young pullets who are banty sized, the 2 pullets are in with them esp. for warmth at night...

Maybe you could give the runty ones some yogurt? I know they would get to share it with the others, especially if you mix it into their ff but I guess that yogurt is my "go to" for just about everything. It helps them through the stress of varying temperatures along with many other stress inducers. Your barn/coop isn't drafty is it? Maybe when you close up at night and its good and dark you could snuggle one in between two bigger birds and the other between two other bigger birds?

Maybe they just need a little bit of help and I'm hoping something like this would do it. Is it pretty cold in NY right now?

Last edited:
I give plain Greek yogurt probably once a week. I mix in garlic, cayenne , pumpkin seeds and various herbs. Girls love it and keeps their immune systems up.

Oh and lacy it's currently a balmy 4 degrees here in my part of NY. Its suppose to get below 0 tonight. I know I'm sick of this polar vortex & I know my hens are to. I don't think they can poof up anymore or jam closer together anymore than they are on the roost :D

Last edited:
We've got 10* here...practically short sleeve shirt weather.  :cool:

No that will be Monday when it hits 30. :)

This wx is wreaking havoc on me. My neck has been so painful the last 2 weeks. Chiro and massage therapist says its the cold flaring up arthritis with all my metal in my neck. I am not a good couch potato and this being grounded to sit around is for the birds !! I can't wait till spring gets here

No that will be Monday when it hits 30.
smile.png

This wx is wreaking havoc on me. My neck has been so painful the last 2 weeks. Chiro and massage therapist says its the cold flaring up arthritis with all my metal in my neck. I am not a good couch potato and this being grounded to sit around is for the birds !! I can't wait till spring gets here

Try rubbing castor oil on it...it really does work! I know that sounds silly but it works for arthritis pain. I just put it on an area that's hurting for another reason and has been hurting me all day pretty bad and it was just minutes to relief. I've used it on my degenerative OA in my neck and back and it penetrates quickly and works all day. I love this stuff!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom