Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Such wonderful information! I am so glad I asked this question here!!! I have a plan...

To respond to some of the questions-

I have several ages. A friend has a small flock and I can have eggs whenever I like. She does not have enough for me to do one big hatch, but I am setting 7-14 at a time. I have some about 3 weeks and some a bit over 1 week and 3 more runs in the incubator. The ones 3 weeks are outside in a brooder and I plan to put them on the ground today. I do have pasture for them as well as electric poultry netting. All of this is not set up yet, so these first ones may be the group I keep as future egg producers. My friend has been very impressed at the egg production and I read they produce up to 250 eggs/year. They are large cream color eggs.

It sounds like I am right on with free feeding high protein starter until they get on the ground. Fermenting it sounds optimal since 1. increases ability to use protein 2. Will probably help them with coccidia strains here when they do get outside 3. it will decrease waste. I can get raw milk, so the next hurtle is to find kefir grains to ferment it. The above article suggests starting that at 35 days.

From the above @Glenda Heywoodo article, it sounds as if they need to move and forage, yet have plenty to eat. I like the @lazy gardener suggestion to let them range during the day, but feed them well before bed. Ideally we will be able to move their coop daily and they will have fresh grass in the mornings to eat. Just have to get DH on board.
Unlike Cornish Crosses, it is my understanding this breed is able to move and procreate normally until they are ready to be processed. If these little heifers continue as they are, they are quite docile and easy to handle. The chicks lay down to eat. Having always had light bodied layers WHO FLY, this is a new experience. They remind me of livestock guardian dogs when they are pups, eating like every meal is their last.

What kind of grass do you have for them to forage on?
Are they going to be in a chicken tractor?
Ho do you plan on avoiding flying predators for the chicks In the tractor?
How many chickens to a tractor?

Last edited:
What kind of grass do you have for them to forage on?
Are they going to be in a chicken tractor?
Ho do you plan on avoiding flying predators for the chicks In the tractor?
How many chickens to a tractor?
We have pasture that has long been unused. I have about 200 chickens here and LGD's protecting them. These guys will have to be outside of the 3 acre fenced area though to have fresh grass. I dont have that many breese just hatching them in such small numbers, so currently it would not be anymore than 30 to a tractor. Good question about flying predators. I have poultry netting and the dogs for the ones in the fenced area. Coyotes are a much bigger problem for chickens that get outside the fence. There is a crow rookery close by and they harass the hawks too. That is definitely something to think about more.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html
EXCELLENT ARTICLE ON FERMENTING FEED AND WHAT KIND OF MATERIALS TO USE
IE:Part 1: BENEFITS OF LACTO-FERMENTATING FEED FOR CHICKENS
Part 2:
FERMENTATIONBASICS: A TALE OF TWOFERMENTATIONS
Part 3: MAKING LACTO-FERMENTED FEED

IE:DO NOT USE METAL CONTAINERS.
The high acid content of the fermented feed can interact with the metals and cause contamination of the feed.

2. Place a suitable amount of dry feed in your container and completely cover with water. As lacto-fermenting is an anaerobic process, be sure to add enough water to keep about 1/2" - 1" of water standing above the feed level. This encourages the Lactic Acid Bacteria to proliferate while deterring the growth of undesirable molds/yeasts/fungi which require oxygen to proliferate.

IE:LEAD FREE Ceramic Crocks or Containers - If using ceramic, be sure that you purchase a new container from a source that clearly states lead-free. Do not use any ceramic container that you currently own that is not marked lead-free. See Lead and Zinc - Hidden Dangers to Your Chickens.
Lehmans+crocks.jpg

ir
5 Gallon Preserving Crock of my dreams
2 Gallon Preserving Crock

Glass Containers - So far I've used glass containers that I can keep handy in the kitchen. If possible I always prefer glass over plastic as glass is much less porous and does not contain substances that can leach into the high-acid ferment. Glass containers come in various sizes similar to crocks.

MORE GOOD FERMETINGIFORMATION
Lacto-fermentation is generally anaerobic (not open to the air).

-Common food items that use this process are fermented milks (yogurt, cheese, kefir, buttermilk, etc.), fermented vegetables (sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi. etc.) and fermented meats (corned beef, sausages and fish).

And....Chicken Feed!

Healthy chicks enjoying fermented feed. Photo by Vicki Servi

For more information on fermentation see:

RealFood Fermentation by Alex Lewin
This book has great photos and a good basic overview of fermentation of many types of food items for people!

WestonA Price Foundation
Lots of great information on healthy preparation of foods including lacto-fermentation and sprouting.

Cultures for Health Website
This site has many articles and videos showing a variety of fermenting processes.
Also sells various LAB starter cultures suitable for various types of fermentation.

DeepNutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine Shanahan MD
Very interesting book worth reading for a broad spectrum of nutrition topics including fermentation and sprouting.
Making Lacto-Fermented Feed

Swedish Flower Hens enjoying their fermented feed
IE:http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html

MORE ON FERMENTNG FEEDS
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html

By Sue -

There are several different types of fermentation that are used for different results depending on the item that you are fermenting and the results desired.

In this article I'll attempt to provide a very basic overview of Alcohol Fermentation and Lacto-Fermentation processes. Hopefully this short overview will encourage you to research and learn more on your own!

When fermenting feed for my chickens, I use lacto-fermentation.

Chicken feed fermenting in glass container.

FERMENTATION - WHAT'S GOING ON IN THAT BUCKET ANYWAY?

In very general terms:

Yeasts consume sugars (carbohydrates) and produce alcohol.

Bacteria consume sugars (carbohydrates), starches or alcohol and produce acids.

FERMENTATION FOR ALCOHOL

-When fermenting to produce alcohol, various yeasts are used. These yeasts digest the carbohydrates (sugars) and produce alcohol.
-In high concentrations, alcohol is toxic even to alcohol-producing yeasts which will eventually die off when the concentration of alcohol becomes high enough in the fermenting mixture.
Example: Almost everyone has had a gallon of apple cider go "hard" over time as the various yeasts that are present in the environment do their work and begin producing alcohol while they're enjoying consuming the carbohydrates in the cider. Now If you keep that hard cider long enough, it will eventually turn to vinegar...so what happened?

- Acetobacter bacteria convert alcohol to acetic acid which is the main ingredient in vinegar; this process is aerobic (open to the air). The "mother" in an unpasteurized vinegar contains these bacteria and other health-producing ingredients.

According to Bragg.com their raw apple cider vinegar (ACV) Contains: "enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6."

-Acetic acid preserves food by lowering pH (raising acid level) and making an environment that is unfriendly to harmful bacteria.

Notes:
-Alcohol is processed by the liver rather than through the digestive system. Liver damage can occur with excessive consumption over a long-term basis.

LACTO-FERMENTATION
-During lacto-fermentation, various Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) are used to digest the carbohydrates (sugars) and produce lactic acid. This lactic acid is what produces the "tangy" or "sour" flavor that is found in items such as yogurt, raw lacto-fermented pickles, raw lacto-fermented sauerkraut, etc.
-High concentrations of LABs are beneficial to the digestive tract and immune system and even produce additional nutritive value in the form of B Vitamins, Vitamin K2 and Enzymes. (See Part 1 BENEFITS OF LACTO-FERMENTING FEED FOR CHICKENS for more information.)

"The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anti-carcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine." (From Weston A Price Foundation Website Article: Lacto-Fermentation)

-Lactic acid preserves food and produces an environment that is unfriendly to harmful bacteria. This type of food preservation has been used for centuries. As the acid level raises in the food (pH lowers) it prevents "deadly" bacteria from being able to grow in the food.

Lactic Acid Bacteria...."does inhibit most Gram-positive organisms including spore-formers such as Clostridia Botulinum and heat-resistant spoilage organisms." (Quote from: http://silvalab.fsnhp.msstate.edu//vinegar_lactic.pdf)

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is one of the reasons that preserving lower acid foods via lacto-fermentation is safer than heat canning as deadly bacteria such as botulism can grow in low acid, heat-canned products due to their ability to proliferate anaerobically. (See Part1 BENEFITS OF LACTO-FERMENTING FEED FORCHICKENS for more information.)

I live in Oklahoma our summers regularly get at or over 100, our winters get below freezing but usually only over nights and warm up through the day and will stay below freezing for up to a couple of weeks at the coldest part of our winter.  Mine stays outside year round and has for over 3 years.  It is in a black trash barrel I put in the sun in the winter and shade in the summer.  It has never gone bad.

No gnat, critter, or other issues? I'd like to ferment outside but am worried about freeloaders!

No gnat, critter, or other issues? I'd like to ferment outside but am worried about freeloaders!

I started fermenting feed outside about a year ago here in PA. I didn't cover my 5 gallon bucket at first and had the lovely surprise of 2 drowned mice one morning. sooooooooo......that being said, I now cover my bucket with a lid, but I don't snap it tight. It shouldn't be airtight so the air can get in and out. As for insects.... It's not a big problem, the ones that do get in just provide a little extra protein for the flock!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom