Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Just wanted to add a quick pic of my gang at four weeks old. We just finished their outdoor run so this is their first time outside (except for the time when they escaped). It's my first time doing this but I think they look mighty fine! :) Edited to add: Sorry about their dirty heads.. they just finished eating their FF breakfast ha ha
That is one slight drawback of the FF, dirty heads. They go around cleaning each other, just to get a little extra. When you have customers in to look it is alittle hard to explain tho, they look at you like you are crazy, trying to sell them these chickens with spiked head dresses
lau.gif

Here's a pic of my "meatie bird picnic" today lol. I've been singing the "Ladybug Picnic" song from Sesame Street modified to "Meatiebird Picnic" all day long while weeding my garden
lau.gif
I modified the long plastic troughs that I've used since their heads got too big by securing them to a broken oak garden stake with zip ties, which is nailed to the wooden legs and then I have boards going across so they can reach in easily to discourage them from jumping in too often
big_smile.png
I'm planning an upgrade later this week because at 4 weeks, I have to fill it 3-4 times a day for 18 birds.

Excellent pics and great remake on the feeders! My feeder at this stage looked similar but was rain guttering screwed into a 2x4 base with the side bars like yours....I also used zip ties!
lol.png

Frugal minds think alike, huh? I've learned that there isn't much you can't make yourself when it comes to chicken equipment and those who pay high prices for feeders that eventually don't suit their flock needs are probably taking the advice given in some book or other or they just want to feel like they are buying the "best" for their chickens. In the end chickens don't care what they eat from..as long as they get to eat. You could feed them from a dog turd and they would grin like a mule eatin' briars and say, "Great vittles, when can we have more?!"

OK, I started my first batch of FF. As I mentioned I have to make do here in Costa Rica as many things mentioned by others are not available here or very easy to find. I remembered my brother-in-law fermenting fruit on top of the fridge in a glass jar so I figured that should work for me too. I started with a teaspoon of yeast, about a cup of beer and a little splash of ACV (local) in a half gallon jar. I was real happy to see bubbles right away and they have continued to show it is working. The smell is much like beer, go figure, but it is not spoiling, the main thing. This morning I feed the gang the first time in a large dog dish which BTW worked just fine. I will use one of the round small domed plastic feeders for the 4 day old chicks to see if they like it. The feed we get has cracked corn in it so for the time being that is all I will ferment. For the chicks I will use the watery feed to help give them their drinks as well as feed. The chicks were adopted by a sitting silkie hen (ain't them ladies great, awesome moms). The Guinea hens are eating the FF too and someone mentioned about feeding it to quail, I will get another feeder and give them some to try and post what happens. As of right now we don't have any meat chicks or chickens so I can't say anything about them. Today i will stir the deep littler and beginning to watch the droppings from the FF fed flock. I will also beginning to taper off the dry feed as i get more and more familiar with FF and how fast it ferments here. Ain't it great?

Excellent pics and great remake on the feeders! My feeder at this stage looked similar but was rain guttering screwed into a 2x4 base with the side bars like yours....I also used zip ties!
lol.png

Frugal minds think alike, huh? I've learned that there isn't much you can't make yourself when it comes to chicken equipment and those who pay high prices for feeders that eventually don't suit their flock needs are probably taking the advice given in some book or other or they just want to feel like they are buying the "best" for their chickens. In the end chickens don't care what they eat from..as long as they get to eat. You could feed them from a dog turd and they would grin like a mule eatin' briars and say, "Great vittles, when can we have more?!"
That's the truth! They'd rather eat it off the ground but I prefer to serve it in the picnic table I made lol. I guess the same goes for children too, they'd rather play with the box the toy came in than the toy itself. I think gutters are our next step; can't get much cheaper than a dollar a foot for chicken feeders. DH wanted to make them out of left over osb but I put my foot down since I do all the chicken chores which includes washing feeders/waterers and I don't like splinters
big_smile.png

OK, today I had my first pullet actually jump into the ff bucket....yes, both feet....come on little piggie! :) these pullets are kinda surprizing me, the size they are getting. I've been reading alot of c/o about broodies and the heat, and just in general how run down they get..mine have never looked better...they aren't guzzling the water like this spring, and acting all starvig, now they eat some, a cropfull,at a normal pace, drink alittle then back to the nest...maybe the water content helps, maybe they have all day to digest their food, but they sure don't look bad at all.

The advent of Roundup ready corn has greatly changed feeding livestock. GMO corn has a protein content of 6% not the 8 to 10 of the old varieties. Resists roundup but lower protein was considered a good trade. They just add 48% soybean meal to get the right protein level overall for whatever they are feeding.

So of the following, what would you all ferment for layers & ducks? And why?

Striped sunflower seeds (are these better/worse than BOSS?)
Flax seed
Racing pigeon feed (peas & grains)
Purina Flock raiser (prolly all soybeans)
Bird seed (millet & safflower)
Lentils

Thanks!

None of them! I wouldn't be feeding any of this to my flocks. Why? Because they just aren't necessary....a good all flock ration from the local feed mill/store would suffice for all birds with a calcium supplement free choice for the layers. If you want whole grains to your all flock ration, I'd choose grains that are cost effective and they can utilize, while fermenting well. Oats, barley, etc. Folks recommend the all flock ration when you have a mixed flock like yours but, personally, I'd feed them all layer ration and make it simple.

If this is feed you have lying around that you just want to get rid of, then I'd put it all together, except the stripey sunflower seeds, and ferment the whole durn batch and feed it until it's all gone and never buy any of it again. The hulls of the SSS may not break down enough to let any fermentation into the seed itself and they are kind of bulky for hens to ingest....mine never would give them a second glance. BOSS is something they can pick up easily and their gizzard has no problem with breaking down the hulls as it is more thin and brittle and less leathery and thick than the hulls on the SSS.

Back
Top Bottom