Fermenting Feed

I cover mine, but mostly because its kept right by a flock of birds and they'll eat it if I don't lol ;)

And yeah, after temps plummet below 40, its going to suffer and stop growing, so a heater or warm place is best in cold areas.

One big factor in success or not is the use of chlorinated water. If you're on a city tap, there's most likely chlorine, which will kill the microbes. So let the water sit open for 24 hours before adding to a live ferment so that chlorine gas can escape ;)

More info on this big ol thread right here...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

I have it in the house so its well above 40 degrees. And I used tap water but I filtered it using a filter that filters out chlorine.

uggghhh I just read your comments about fruit flies after chucking out my FF cause of little maggoty things and then posting a question about preventing fruit flies.
he.gif

After reading this thread and thinking about it, my container is probably too big, something smaller that a tea towel and rubber band can seal might be more pleasant for me (dipping my head close to maggots was not nice. The maggots are not in the FF just on the loose lid and top rim.

Back
Top Bottom