Fermenting feed

I've been feeding my chicks FF from the first feeding on Tuesday. They love it, and almost exclusively eat it, not the dry, which I keep available (though I've noticed just a bit more pecking at the dry in the last day; none the first day and a half or so). I've been experimenting with how to serve it as they do (of course) like to tromp around in the little dishes I was using and when it gets compacted they tend to stop going after it. They come running when I go and stir it up. I'll try the technique of using something in the center of a dish to reduce the foot traffic (and pooping).

My question is about drinking of water. It's logical that they will drink less as they get some fluid requirements met by the wet food. And I feed it on the wetter side, which they seem to like. But I don't see them drinking ever when I'm out there for a while. Of course that doesn't mean they're not when I'm not observing but the water level doesn't seem to move noticeably.

So I'm trying to figure out how to assess if they're getting enough water. My only thought is to watch activity levels and other general health markers. And they're doing great, getting more and more active and they all look and act fine. And by the way, I did dip their beaks at the beginning, and I did see some drinking very early too.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Thanks
Their poop should tell the story. If their poo is not dry, they are well hydrated. What are you using for a waterer? How many chicks vs. size of waterer? Putting marbles in the water trough might attract them, but from what you've said, they are doing fine. In addition to the FF, you can help their immunity by giving them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. (upside down so they can access the soil.)

Mine only drip when the chicks drink from them; as will horizontal due to that funny thing called gravity.
1f61c.png

If you look very very closely you might see that the horizontals have a tiny cup on them so it contains the drip that chickens get when they peck. There are numerous threads here regarding both types of nipples. Generally the upshot is that verticals drip...and horizontals are less drippy...water dripping is eventually an issue in a coop as chickens get bigger and older...don't want too much moisture in the bedding or on the floor.

And all are welcome to use what suits them and what they feel is best for their chickens.

Actually I've started using this one that I had: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/gemini-apollo-trough-feeders?cat_id=143

I wasn't using it up to now because it was a bit big for them (too high), but now they're little necks have grown enough for them to use it. Boy do they grow like Spring weeds, eh? Amazing how fast their wing feathers sprout and now their tail feathers.

Although I did cut out a strip of cardboard to put in the bottom so I don't have to put quite so much food in there to get it filled up and because it might be a bit hard for them to get all the way at the bottom of the trough just yet.

It seems to be working quite well now. And interestingly they seem to be eating a bit more dry now. And I've observed more drinking of water too. So that's all good.

good point azygous!
I give it to them in a shallow, yet deep enough plate to retain the food, and I place a jar or something in the center of it so that it creates a "ring" of food. That way they can not drown or walk through it pooping etc..

That's a good idea, especially for bantams. Drowning is not really a problem for me though, since I make sure the feed is well drained before feeding it out.

I have read alot of posts about fermented food but none mention anything about storage. Is it best to keep in a cool dry place or can you keep it outside? Wasn't sure about the effects the sun and heat would have on it.

Back
Top Bottom