Fermenting feed

I just gave the chicks a little bunch of wheat sprouts/microgreens (in that in between stage) and they went at it. Great fun, and I think they're actually getting some of the greens down. But at minimum it's great entertainment.

I was planning to use a nipple waterer with the chicks, but with the vertical nipples. I had read that they had a hard time activating the horizontal ones. I guess that's not your experience though, eh? I've got both, as I was planning to make one with horizontals for them when older, but now I'm rethinking that and may try one like you've made. Thanks
Do you have a picture of your brooder to share? I'd love to see their little play land! Sounds so fun! I can pick up my babes today, just trying to leave them at the feed store as long as possible to be sure they are in good health there! I need to dig up sod and get something for them to perch on, but otherwise I think I am all set!! Love hearing these stories! So helpful! So exciting!!

I just gave the chicks a little bunch of wheat sprouts/microgreens (in that in between stage) and they went at it.  Great fun, and I think they're actually getting some of the greens down.  But at minimum it's great entertainment.

I was planning to use a nipple waterer with the chicks, but with the vertical nipples.  I had read that they had a hard time activating the horizontal ones.  I guess that's not your experience though, eh?  I've got both, as I was planning to make one with horizontals for them when older, but now I'm rethinking that and may try one like you've made.  Thanks

I use the vertical nipples, which has worked out great for me & the chicks. I have two 20 Oz bottles, filled only about 1/4 the way each, since I found I was just dumping most of it out anyway. At least thus far, my week old chicks don't drink much. But I have seen them drink quite often, their poops and everything are fine.

Last edited:
If you start them with the horizontals, they should be fine. That is what I did after about a week with a more open waterer... Vertical ones drip...teach them by tapping the horizontal nipple and there will be a tiny bit of water in the cup. If you "peck" on it with your finger, they will get the water and get the idea to peck. Helps that the nipples are red, of course! Once one of them gets it, they all will..shouldn't take too long. That is how a mother hen teaches them i think, by pecking. I call mine over for treats by pecking a stone or wood decking with my fingernail...they come a-runnin'!

Do you have a picture of your brooder to share? I'd love to see their little play land! Sounds so fun! I can pick up my babes today, just trying to leave them at the feed store as long as possible to be sure they are in good health there! I need to dig up sod and get something for them to perch on, but otherwise I think I am all set!! Love hearing these stories! So helpful! So exciting!!
Well, actually I don't have any pictures of the whole brooder, but it's just a cardboard box with a basic feeder and waterer, so nothing really exciting.

There are a few pictures here in a couple of different posts:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1153700/show-off-your-baby-chicks/140#post_18195082
www.backyardchickens.com/t/1153700/show-off-your-baby-chicks/190#post_18202353

If you start them with the horizontals, they should be fine. That is what I did after about a week with a more open waterer... Vertical ones drip...teach them by tapping the horizontal nipple and there will be a tiny bit of water in the cup. If you "peck" on it with your finger, they will get the water and get the idea to peck. Helps that the nipples are red, of course! Once one of them gets it, they all will..shouldn't take too long. That is how a mother hen teaches them i think, by pecking. I call mine over for treats by pecking a stone or wood decking with my fingernail...they come a-runnin'!

Mine only drip when the chicks drink from them; as will horizontal due to that funny thing called gravity.
1f61c.png

Mine only drip when the chicks drink from them; as will horizontal due to that funny thing called gravity.
1f61c.png

If you look very very closely you might see that the horizontals have a tiny cup on them so it contains the drip that chickens get when they peck. There are numerous threads here regarding both types of nipples. Generally the upshot is that verticals drip...and horizontals are less drippy...water dripping is eventually an issue in a coop as chickens get bigger and older...don't want too much moisture in the bedding or on the floor.

And all are welcome to use what suits them and what they feel is best for their chickens.

Anybody else find that their chicks make an awful mess of themselves eating FF? Mine have started to get the stuff all over their front sides. It didn't happen at first (they're 5 days old now), but now they've started to scratch. They're filthy!

I've been feeding it on the wetter side, but I'm gonna have to dry to serve it much drier to help mitigate this.

Back
Top Bottom