Fermenting feed

In addition to what lazy gardener says above, you can use any kind of feed, although in my experience the crumbles (granules?) do a bit better. You really do not need anything but the water and feed and I do mine in a two quart jar on the counter for six chix. I replenish every three days or so. They love it and it is a superfood for them...gets chicks internal systems off to a perfect start.

As above, the chick starter would work for your entire flock until chicks are at point of lay (about 18 -20 weeks). Let us know how it goes.

I have a sick hen I believe, she is very young but it's only my guess how old! It's ok to feed her starts grow right? I have some soaked and wanted to see if it changed her stool while she's isolated. I got a HUGE bag from the feed store also so I'm wondering if I can feed it out to everyone if the chicks don't eat it all.

I have a sick hen I believe, she is very young but it's only my guess how old! It's ok to feed her starts grow right? I have some soaked and wanted to see if it changed her stool while she's isolated. I got a HUGE bag from the feed store also so I'm wondering if I can feed it out to everyone if the chicks don't eat it all.

I think you can feed chick starter (if i understand the question) to everyone. If you have hens who are laying, supplement with oyster shell or crushed eggshell separately while feeding starter. I always supplement regardless of what i am feeding. The primary concern is protein (starter is sufficient) and calcium (starter is not sufficient for laying hens). Hope that answers your question. Make sure all chickens get grit offered as well.

So sorry about sick hen. Post in the emergency/illness section to get help!

I think you can feed chick starter (if i understand the question) to everyone. If you have hens who are laying, supplement with oyster shell or crushed eggshell separately while feeding starter. I always supplement regardless of what i am feeding. The primary concern is protein (starter is sufficient) and calcium (starter is not sufficient for laying hens). Hope that answers your question. Make sure all chickens get grit  offered as well.

So sorry about sick hen. Post in the emergency/illness section to get help!

Thank you! That answers my question completely!

Yes it's been a long week amongst my flock but I have received so much help it's astounding! I think my man believes I have joined a cult haha, but I'd have no idea how lost I was until I found you all!

I started fermenting the feed a few days ago after about 10 days on dry chicken starter. My problem is they won't touch it while it's damp! They furiously scratch through the pine shavings foraging for literally ANYTHING else. Is this normal? Well they adjust?

Chickens are notorious for
welcome-byc.gif
not adapting to change quickly. They WILL adapt...sprinkle some dry stuff on the top and see what happens! Let us know!

Last edited:
I've been feeding my chicks FF from the first feeding on Tuesday. They love it, and almost exclusively eat it, not the dry, which I keep available (though I've noticed just a bit more pecking at the dry in the last day; none the first day and a half or so). I've been experimenting with how to serve it as they do (of course) like to tromp around in the little dishes I was using and when it gets compacted they tend to stop going after it. They come running when I go and stir it up. I'll try the technique of using something in the center of a dish to reduce the foot traffic (and pooping).

My question is about drinking of water. It's logical that they will drink less as they get some fluid requirements met by the wet food. And I feed it on the wetter side, which they seem to like. But I don't see them drinking ever when I'm out there for a while. Of course that doesn't mean they're not when I'm not observing but the water level doesn't seem to move noticeably.

So I'm trying to figure out how to assess if they're getting enough water. My only thought is to watch activity levels and other general health markers. And they're doing great, getting more and more active and they all look and act fine. And by the way, I did dip their beaks at the beginning, and I did see some drinking very early too.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Thanks

I've been feeding my chicks FF from the first feeding on Tuesday. They love it, and almost exclusively eat it, not the dry, which I keep available (though I've noticed just a bit more pecking at the dry in the last day; none the first day and a half or so). I've been experimenting with how to serve it as they do (of course) like to tromp around in the little dishes I was using and when it gets compacted they tend to stop going after it. They come running when I go and stir it up. I'll try the technique of using something in the center of a dish to reduce the foot traffic (and pooping).

My question is about drinking of water. It's logical that they will drink less as they get some fluid requirements met by the wet food. And I feed it on the wetter side, which they seem to like. But I don't see them drinking ever when I'm out there for a while. Of course that doesn't mean they're not when I'm not observing but the water level doesn't seem to move noticeably.

So I'm trying to figure out how to assess if they're getting enough water. My only thought is to watch activity levels and other general health markers. And they're doing great, getting more and more active and they all look and act fine. And by the way, I did dip their beaks at the beginning, and I did see some drinking very early too.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Thanks
Their poop should tell the story. If their poo is not dry, they are well hydrated. What are you using for a waterer? How many chicks vs. size of waterer? Putting marbles in the water trough might attract them, but from what you've said, they are doing fine. In addition to the FF, you can help their immunity by giving them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. (upside down so they can access the soil.)

Their poop should tell the story. If their poo is not dry, they are well hydrated. What are you using for a waterer? How many chicks vs. size of waterer? Putting marbles in the water trough might attract them, but from what you've said, they are doing fine. In addition to the FF, you can help their immunity by giving them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. (upside down so they can access the soil.)
Hmm, the poop may be on the dry side at times, although there's definitely some not so dry, but not runny. I'll keep that in mind.

The waterer is a standard chick waterer; 1.6 qt from Premier1. 16 chicks, and there's definitely not an access problem! LOL I keep it very close to the MHP so it's not out of the way and thus ignored.

Yeah, I figure they're just fine, although it would be nice to actually see them drink once in a while!

I've got a big heap of good ole country soil in there with a grass/weeds, sticks and stones (as well as some big bark pieces and a perching stick, just on the floor). They've loved pecking at it and perching on it, playing queen (king?, we'll see
smile.png
) of the mountain. Little foragers in training. I'm gonna give 'em a mealworm or two later and let them chase that around. Ought to be fun.

They're getting more and more active, a bit crazy even, jumping on each other. Nothing too aggressive so I'm sure it's normal juvenile play behavior.

One other interesting observation (possibly related to FF) is that this morning when I turned on their light and they came out from under MHP, only a few really showed immediate interest in eating. Most of them ran over to the soil piles and other stuff and pecked around and did their chick thing. I really figured they'd come out raring to eat right off the bat. They all have eventually, so I'm not worried. Just thought that was notable and interesting.

Thanks

Here is a simple FF chick feeder, no stepping in it or waste...

Here are microgreens for the chickies:

And sprouts:

And finally, here is an example of a waterer with horizontal nipples (nipples from ebay) where you can close the top and mark/measure the water...it is a well-cleaned gallon vinegar jug. No waste, drips, muss, wet bedding...about a week old for sure they can use this...you can easily put more than two nipples on it for more than six chix like I had...mine now have a four gallon waterer bcucket with same nipples on it...

Just some ideas to keep everyone busy and enjoying their babies!

And @lazy gardener , that dry poop answer is brilliant. I never would have thought of that!

Last edited:
And sprouts:

And finally, here is an example of a waterer with horizontal nipples (nipples from ebay) where you can close the top and mark/measure the water...it is a well-cleaned gallon vinegar jug. No waste, drips, muss, wet bedding...about a week old for sure they can use this...you can easily put more than two nipples on it for more than six chix like I had...mine now have a four gallon waterer bcucket with same nipples on it...

Just some ideas to keep everyone busy and enjoying their babies!

And @lazy gardener , that dry poop answer is brilliant. I never would have thought of that!
I just gave the chicks a little bunch of wheat sprouts/microgreens (in that in between stage) and they went at it. Great fun, and I think they're actually getting some of the greens down. But at minimum it's great entertainment.

I was planning to use a nipple waterer with the chicks, but with the vertical nipples. I had read that they had a hard time activating the horizontal ones. I guess that's not your experience though, eh? I've got both, as I was planning to make one with horizontals for them when older, but now I'm rethinking that and may try one like you've made. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom