Fermenting feed

I just use this one from the feed store and it is way too big for just two chicks but they stay clean!

No apologies necessary! We all know it will be helpful to someone somewhere! I like it and am wondering if you could explain how you made it or found it! Than you mobius!

Well thank you! This is so simple and DIY! Take a small rectangular plastic box (this red box is from a persons lunch box set), or like tupperware or something similar and sturdy. Then take 1/2 inch hardware cloth (wire) and cut it so that it is a little bigger than the top dimensions of the plastic rectangular (or square) box. Carefully fold the wires on the hardware cloth so they all fit down into the plastic box...with no prongs showing or edges that would snag the chickens or hurt them...it should fit snugly...and then fill with fermented feed! The chicks will walk on it and so forth but they won't track it around and they can access the feed easily with their tiny beaks!

My little invention. They never pulled the hardware cloth wire out either. They just pecked the food out through the top. Like the picture shows. Thanks, I'll be here all week...
roll.png

Hope that helps and thanks so much for asking! So simple a fix for FF and chicks. The box I show was fine for six chicks for one day. They are all grown now, but STILL adore their FF and wait for it in the morning!

And even though a little drier is better, and you will get the consistency right over time (kinda like bread dough in a way) even if your feed is wetter (which mine often is and that is quite okay) this will work regardless of wetness of feed!

Last edited:
Well thank you! This is so simple and DIY! Take a small rectangular plastic box (this red box is from a persons lunch box set), or like tupperware or something similar and sturdy. Then take 1/2 inch hardware cloth (wire) and cut it so that it is a little bigger than the top dimensions of the plastic rectangular (or square) box. Carefully fold the wires on the hardware cloth so they all fit down into the plastic box...with no prongs showing or edges that would snag the chickens or hurt them...it should fit snugly...and then fill with fermented feed! The chicks will walk on it and so forth but they won't track it around and they can access the feed easily with their tiny beaks!

My little invention. They never pulled the hardware cloth wire out either. They just pecked the food out through the top. Like the picture shows. Thanks, I'll be here all week...:rolleyes:

Hope that helps and thanks so much for asking! So simple a fix for FF and chicks. The box I show was fine for six chicks for one day. They are all grown now, but STILL adore their FF and wait for it in the morning!

Do you use the same method for the adults?

For the adults, no!
lol.png
They don't get messy and dirty like the chicks. I actually feed it in a bowl or just throw it on the ground with a wooden spoon, believe it or not! Because they eat all of it. Other folks speak highly of using a FF feeder made out of a length of plastic guttering, secured I am not sure how.

Seriously, it gets thrown on the ground and they eat it all gone. Sounds awful I know. But I am lazy like that. Same with the fermented alfalfa. I believe they get grit with that although I give them grit separately.

One reason for the gutter feeders or throwing on the ground is that the bowl encourages the pecking order and some chickens may not get the same amount of feed as others...if I fling the food with a wooden spoon there are several areas of feed to choose from and no fighting over it...everyone gets what they need. There is a method in my mad flinging of FF...
lol.png

Last edited:
For the adults, no! :lol: They don't get messy and dirty like the chicks. I actually feed it in a bowl or just throw it on the ground with a wooden spoon, believe it or not! Because they eat all of it. Other folks speak highly of using a FF feeder made out of a length of plastic guttering, secured I am not sure how.

Seriously, it gets thrown on the ground and they eat it all gone. Sounds awful I know. But I am lazy like that. Same with the fermented alfalfa. I believe they get grit with that although I give them grit separately.

One reason for the gutter feeders or throwing on the ground is that the bowl encourages the pecking order and some chickens may not get the same amount of feed as others...if I fling the food with a wooden spoon there are several areas of feed to choose from  and no fighting over it...everyone gets what they need. There is a method in my mad flinging of FF...:lol:  

Haha, nothing wrong with that! They eat off the ground naturally anyway. I can't wait to fling FF!
1f601.png

I kinda keep reposting this, my apologies...here is a chick FF feeder easy:

Yeah, eventually I'll get the clue and do something about it! Seriously, I'm gonna get on this today. Thanks.

I'm sure they'll be quite put out about having to reach in and not being able to stomp on it, but they'll get over it.
lol.png

Actually I've started using this one that I had: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/gemini-apollo-trough-feeders?cat_id=143

I wasn't using it up to now because it was a bit big for them (too high), but now they're little necks have grown enough for them to use it. Boy do they grow like Spring weeds, eh? Amazing how fast their wing feathers sprout and now their tail feathers.

Although I did cut out a strip of cardboard to put in the bottom so I don't have to put quite so much food in there to get it filled up and because it might be a bit hard for them to get all the way at the bottom of the trough just yet.

It seems to be working quite well now. And interestingly they seem to be eating a bit more dry now. And I've observed more drinking of water too. So that's all good.

Back
Top Bottom