Fermenting feed

My whole point was that this could cause higher concentrations of medication after sitting in a bucket of water for few days.

If it's not an issue show me the research....

I think the burden would be on you to show the research, since you made the initial foolish assertion. Do you even use fermented feed? Have you done any research on the benefits of FF? Do your homework before telling people what to do.

My whole point was that this could cause higher concentrations of medication after sitting in a bucket of water for few days.

If it's not an issue show me the research....

Many people here on BYC have already used medicated feed in their FF and have reported no issues. As there is no research done on the practice, it's not likely you'll see any "research", but I'm game....if it would likely be an issue, show me the research.

Pretty much. One of the benefits of feeding this way is that there is no waste, and there is no feed left out to be an attractant to rodents or birds that would take advantage of a dry feeder.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm hoping this is a relevant questions for this forum. I have exactly one week until my baby chicks arrive and I would like to ferment their feed. I would also like to start doing it for my older hens too, as they are so great at wasting feed and we have mice on occasion. Can you use any type of feed to ferment? I have scratch and switch back and forth between pellets and granules of layer feed. I am assuming my chick starter will be granules or pellets as well. I have also read a few varying things about using starter. Can I use kombucha starter tea? I see the use of ACV and am curious! thank you!

Hi ,
Any food works
You can change it up for sure,
I use 2:1 ratio of feed to water with a TB or so of apple cider vinegar
Stir often to speed process
Usually takes 2-3 days to start bubbling and smelling yeasty .
Yes, my hens are much less wasteful with wet feed.

I do it in big glass jars and fill the feed trough with dry feed then pour the fermented feed on top , each morning.

Scratch is not feed, it's a treat. You will get hens with excess fat and this will make them unhealthy. Scratch can contain lots of millet which is a filler ( it's in wild bird food),

I decided years ago to just buy cracked corn for the winter( a handful a day ), and summer months everything is a treat , crab apples, everything in the garden , dandelions even grass
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom