Fertile or not ..

PluckyJen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
South Africa
Good morning. Last night I cracked open one of my silkies eggs for dinner. I collect an egg daily. I have 2 kapokkie roosters,small breed around her. I have thought it's highly unlikely for them to mate with her. But..when I opened the egg I saw a small blood spot as well as odd area of the yolk. Any thoughts? She's sitting on another egg this morning so I have left her for the minute. Sorry the blood spot was under the side for photo.

Attachments

• 20230214_210243.jpg
    20230214_210243.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 15
A blood spot is not indicative of fertilization.
You need to show the blastodisc or blastoderm. Whichever one is on the surface of the yolk will tell you if it is fertile.
These eggs are fertile. If you look closely you will see a circle around the white dot on both yolks. This is a blastoderm.
fertile eggs.jpg
Just a white dot is the blastodisc and that indicates an infertile egg.

A blood spot is not indicative of fertilization.
You need to show the blastodisc or blastoderm. Whichever one is on the surface of the yolk will tell you if it is fertile.
These eggs are fertile. If you look closely you will see a circle around the white dot on both yolks. This is a blastoderm.
Just a white dot is the blastodisc and that indicates an infertile egg.
Fantastic. Thanks so much!! Iv learnt something today. Much appreciated.

I have 2 kapokkie roosters,small breed around her. I have thought it's highly unlikely for them to mate with her.
The only way to be completely certain is to incubate eggs and see if they develop.

But it's pretty common for small roosters to successfully mate with larger hens. Some have trouble and don't quite manage, but many others work it out somehow. They definitely don't care that the hen is a different breed or a different size. So yes, your eggs might be fertile.

But fertility only matters if the egg gets incubated (under a broody hen or in an incubator.)

If you collect eggs each day, and store them below about 80 degrees Fahrenheit (about 27 Celsius), no chicks will develop, and you can use fertile eggs the same way you use infertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom