Big clutch

PluckyJen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
South Africa
Finally after waiting what felt like a lifetime..our girls are laying for the first time. Males covering them and iv seen bullseye,so we are fertile. One nest has 12 and another just started on 1. I'm curious how big could the clutch become before they sit. Biggest iv had was 6 eggs a silkie sat on. The two moms in question are koekoek/kapokkie breed. South African tough birds. Thanks in advance
Edit. I just went to take a photo and found her sitting 😂

20230617_145134.jpg

Last edited:
Too big of clutch and many won't hatch. So sometimes less eggs means a greater percentage of hatching. Chickens move the eggs around as they set. If the clutch is too big, the outer eggs cool too much, and die, then she moves the eggs again, and different eggs wind up on the outside edge and die too.

I find that I actually get more chicks if I set 8 eggs verses setting 12 eggs.

Mrs K

Gosh and just as I thought she was sitting, she got up. It's on 14 eggs now. One other mom is laying in the coop too. My Rhode islands next to them as well. Maybe I should split up eggs for them all and hope they start sitting. Wish I had an incubator.

Someone had told me not all chickens brood. The clutch is too big and it's winter here now so not a good time for chick's. That said if I know she's going to sit,I'll move her to the maternity coop.

In the winter, I would not expect a hen to go broody. I collect the eggs every day out of the nests, and eat them. When the spring comes, I keep a bowl on the counter, and add eggs to it, each day, I take out the old eggs, and put them in the fridge, and put the new eggs I just collected in the bowl at room temperature.

Sometimes I will put a group of fake eggs in a nest to encourage a hen to go broody. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a hen will go broody on an empty nest. You cannot make them broody. But if you have a bowl full of room temperature eggs, you are ready when she is.

Even then, when she does set, let her set for a couple of days to make sure she is full on broody. Many times they will start - then stop - then get serious. Then set the freshest eggs you have under her at that time.

Mrs K

Sounds perfect. Thanks so much. Iv had many broody girls before but I'm not seeing too many signs in this mama. I'll pop the eggs in a bowl of water tomorrow and see if they are still good. Omlettes for breakfast..lunch and possibly dinner :p

I'll pop the eggs in a bowl of water tomorrow and see if they are still good.
Remember.....
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Back
Top Bottom