Fertility

Quote:
Hmm I am going to keep the two cockerals so I will have an extra the problem is that I only have room for two groups permanently living here.

Yeah I had to fight predators off last summer. And since then, I never feel like I have enough boys. I have asides from the plethera of Marans boys, a full field of Orp boyz, amongst the others. With a Wyandott or two, a Cochin here and there. A Sussex. When one goes off the ENTIRE yard fires up. lolol Glad my neighbors like me. lolol

Quote:
Yes the hens had 100% fertility when they were in with the hattrick silkies rooster but now none of the eggs are fertile I have hatched chicks from those hens eggs.

so I am going to keep him in a pen with one hen and just fertility check every egg she lays. Then when the new cockeral arrives he will move in with the rest of the hens after quarentine and I will sell off the hattrick trio. So I will end up with 7 hens and 2 cockerals.

I have a porcelain d'uccle bantam roo who hasnt mated once in his life (he is 3 years now) I just keep him around cause he is cute.
smile.png
I also have a 6 month old Maran roo does try and mate but im not sure how fertile he is yet.. He isnt good at mating at all.. i think it is because of his size (he is HUGE) but im not sure hopefully he will get better as the months go by.
wink.png

I just went through the same thing, Australorps rooster ,we bought some eggs from a breeder for the incubator and thought to add a couple of these too as long as we had the bator running... we were going to do the australorps a little later on but figured as long as bator is running might as well throw a couple in....We gave gave the rooster 2 hens, turns out he prefers one of them. It showed up in the incubator...The best hen and one I saved the most eggs from - 5 total .....while I was at it, grabbed 2 from the other hen, out of the 5 from the best hen, 4 were clear, one filling up with baby on day 12 candleing, out of the 2 from the other hen, both were perfect 12 day formed babies. He seems to pay most attention to the spare hen, So Im going to remove her . I gave him 2 so he wouldnt be too hard on the best hen , would like to show her in august. Hes very big gentleman to both and neither have much if any rooster wear. He doesnt have much of a spur either just a nubs for a 2 year old. Some of the other breeds we had in the past had dagger , very long sharp spurs. dont know why australorps dont have that. His spuirs cant be 3/4th in long and very dull ended. He can still give you a good punch with them thou. Hes always finding and givng presents to his girls.And Hes not above giving me a good punch if I get too close as roosters will.,

Last edited:
Quote:
My boys are pretty calm but the young man is just three times the gentelman that the other rooster is that is why the other boy is SO fetile. He has at least 4 hens at a time never less and they all show a bit but not much rooster wear. I have seen him mate a hen 4 times a day he seems to just make the rounds all through the day and gets each hen really well. I am going to keep the younger boy in a seprate pen with my most docile hen. I have sent some of his eggs out for fertility tests so hopefully some will at least develope.

Henry

Hes real young give him little more time the hormones will settle in , a lot of big champions come out of 2 year olds

The weather does affect some of them , its out of the natural breeding time, they really start perking up next couple months

I knew a breeder long time ago that highly prized a rooster that was like that. The rooster should be protective of his charges but he should be seen and appreciated and shouldnt be a man beater...He said I dont care how good a rooster is in the show ring, he wouldnt breed them if they attacked anything that moved constantly.. He said to me a long time ago, cant put a price on a rooster like that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom