Fertilizing Eggs

I would recommend writing on the top (air cell end) with ur pencil. Where ur marks are now are likely to be hard to read when the chick zips the shell. Plus it makes it easier to see when u load them in the incubator
But if ur not single mating and separating the eggs it probably won't matter. I number my eggs from each pen and put them in hatching bags. One time i had a sack full of biddies and I luckly found a few chipped shells with the correct number. Now i write on the top

Next week I will introduce a new rooster to a flock of 16 hens; he has been quarantined for a month. I removed the original rooster 3 weeks ago in order to have the hens clear their systems.

Will be my first experience introducing a new rooster and I have no idea what to expect. Some say use a look don't touch method, others say just put them together and they will work it out. Still thinking about how I will proceed.

I will expand to 24 hens so want to get eggs into the incubator asap.

How long will it be before the hens are fertilized?

Thanks.
If you're want predominantly fertilized eggs, 1 rooster for 24 hens is a tall order, imo.

I have looked for the bullseye, and I just can't see the difference between fertile and infertile eggs. I have read descriptions and looked at photos. I have looked at eggs when the flock is all hens, with no rooster present for months. And I have looked at eggs when there is an active rooster and every egg that goes in the incubator is fertile. And I cannot reliably see a difference.

But I have no trouble seeing the embryo when I candle at 4+ days of incubation, so that works better for me. (After only 4-5 days, the clear eggs are probably safe to eat. Since I have only incubated eggs when I had a surplus, I have cooked the clears for the dogs and chickens to eat, rather than eating them myself. But I'm keeping it in mind in case I ever have an egg shortage at incubation time.)

For people who can see the difference, checking the eggs you would eat anyway is a great way to check fertility-- it just doesn't work for me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a difficult time seeing a bullseye.I added a rooster back in December and still haven't seen one.I set some eggs in an incubator a couple days ago so it won't be long before I know...

After he mates with a female, her eggs should be fertile within a day or two.

But not every male will mate with every female right away, which is why many people plan on a week or more before collecting eggs to set. Obviously yours got busy pretty fast!
My hens were slow to mate with my rooster I added in December. At least a month or so.

No you don't. Fertile eggs will have a white bullseye and unfertile eggs will only have a tiny white dot
I have looked for the bullseye, and I just can't see the difference between fertile and infertile eggs. I have read descriptions and looked at photo.
For people who can see the difference, checking the eggs you would eat anyway is a great way to check fertility-- it just doesn't work for me.
From March 29th.

IMG_71281.jpg

Back
Top Bottom