Fighting baby Roos

Ese_N_Gracie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 22, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
Every day is a new day for chickens so I've discovered...but this morning was WWIII. I thought I had three males and five females, but the top notch boxer was what I thought a female. They are bloody messes...literally. Ruthless bastards that won't give up even if I spray them with water. they are black and blue and swollen little babies. They are less than two months old. I've separated them for the time being which is a nightmare...but I wanted to know if I should let them duke it out and get it over with....but do they ever really get over it???? and figure out who is the king.....thanks for any help

M

Baby roos aren't the only ones that fight. All my chicks spar, the pullets more than the cockerels. My cockerels are peaceful for the most part. However, mine never fight to the point of drawing blood. Sounds like something is seriously wrong, so some questions. What breed? How big is the brooder/space you are keeping them in? What temp are you keeping them at? Also, how bright is the lighting?

There is one that is worse than the rest....they are bantam cochins and are free range on nearly an acre(there are eight babies plus mom n dad....Spring here has sprung and even dad and mom are spreading their wings. Gracie (mom) stopped being mom about two weeks ago when she laid an egg....so they all follow Ese (the proud father) around.....but this is aweful.... She became broodie early on so they had to be indoors in the beginning but have been outside ever since gracie would take them. Before this there was the cute head bobbing chasing "good natured" sparring, but this is ALI style... I always thought the cochin wasn't really a fighter...but a lover and from Ese...other than the occasional nip to me is the case

Back
Top Bottom