Finally from written plans, the coop is emerging

Newwell

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Little Piece of Heaven in OR
After much research on BYC for designs & expert input, we finally have begun the building of our chicken coop. It is going to be a large "tractor' model, 7x4 for 8 chickens. The run, which we have not started is going to be modular in design & mobile, too.

It took better than a week to gather our thoughts, draw up the plans on paper, purchase the lumber, & get started with the building. Our babies are 5 weeks old today & love being outdoors. So it is necessary to get this done ASAP. (Plus I want to give them time to really acclimate to the outdoor temps before it gets too cold.)

Here are a few pics of our progress. It sure does help to have a Hubby who is construction minded & is "indulgent" to his crazy wife.
First a pic of some of our babies in their temporary play pen:
108387_img_1307.jpg
108387_img_1309.jpg

There my Dear Hubby in the background
smile.png

108387_img_1312.jpg

Main structure is done, legs on, and it is off the saw horses:
108387_img_1317.jpg

Tomorrow, we'll be doing some more work on it.
wee.gif
:weee
PS - I'll get this picture thing figured out sooner or later

yippiechickie.gif
Quick update. Got it painted inside & out today. My daughter, from the city, jumped right in & had a ball. She also laid all of the linoleum on the floor (cheapie peel 'n stick). Hopefully it will make cleanup a lot easier. She also fed them their favorite treats this morning, scrambled eggs & raw broccoli. She has made friends for life.

ya.gif
Getting closer. All of the doors & vent covers got trimmed & went on today. We made the nest box attachment, so it will be put on tomorrow. We wanted to use some metal roofing that we had in the top of the barn, but my husband doesn't think we have enough. Nuts!!! So off to the store for some roofing materials.
barnie.gif
I am still thinking about a name for the chick's coop.

ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
And even closer today. The roof is on. We had to go with shingles. Rolled roofing only comes in 100 sq ft rolls. I will have more pics soon. I am so happy with the progress. I got chicken nipple waterers for a "water system" yesterday that will be installed in the run, pretty cheap on eBay & they got here within a week. I think I have come up with a name, so what do you all think? "Cluck 'n Cackle Castle". So onward & upward tomorrow...paint the trim & get the wheels on.

Back
Top Bottom