Finally getting myself back into the chicken world. . . been out of it for 4 months

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I ended up having to get rid of my flock 4 months ago due to some financial-job-relocating reasons, and am just now finally back on the site. Its feels great to hear and see chicken talk again. I guess I dont fit the typical chicken owner stereotype so none of my friends get it. . . I am 33/Marine(got out in 2002)/quite a few tattoos/helicopter mechanic/married to my high school sweetheart/grew up in St.Pete FL by the beach so i am not country at all. . . . In a few months i am hoping to be in a situation to get chickens again, and like to hear others opinions on what breed's they absolutely recommend and why. . I had great experiences with red stars, EE's, Jersey Giants, and was raising up a blue laced wyandotte roo chick(sold him when he was 6 weeks old), and an auburn java pullet. This time I am def going for atleast one Jersey Giant, an EE, and an olive egger, and was open for ideas for maybe 2 others. . . I like hearing others opinions

Not out your way but are you raising chickens for eggs or meat? Or just as a hobby? I would use the answers to those questions to help me decide what breed to get. Remember to build a nice sturdy coop and check out the predators in your area before you invest! Good luck and welcome back!

I will have no problem with building a nice sturdy coop, last one I built was with pallets and ended up like 6.5'x8' and that was just back in march. When I get chickens again, it will be for eggs. Then eventually I will try meat birds. But for now I just want egg layers, no white eggs, a nice flock variety, and I really like the comb/waddles/beard look I got with EE's. I had a very nice looking auburn java pullet that was only 5 or 6 weeks old when I had to get rid of my flock, and my Jersey Giant roo/pullet pair were 6 weeks old but I REALLY liked the look of them(the boy was blue, and girl was a black/blue splash)

Back
Top Bottom