Finally - I'm getting chickens again!

tricia

Songster
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
West Central Wisconsin
Hi - I'm Tricia. I was on the other board awhile ago as Helenarain. My husband never cared for the fact that I had chickens, and when I was pregnant with my second child I finally got rid of the chickens because aside from being pregnant and chasing a 1 year old, we were also building a new house. I've been wanting to start a new flock for quite awhile, it's been about 2 years since I've had a real flock. Recently my husband asked if I would get chickens again because he misses the eggs!!! I'm so excited! I cant stop thinking chickens now!! We are also going to do a small flock of broilers too, to see if we think it's worth it. I found a place that will process, bag and freeze them for $2.10 per bird. I have a plan for the broilers coop, but I need to find an inexpensive way to build a nice coop for the layers. I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!!
big_smile.png

If you have any ideas for an inexpensive coop in Wisconsin for about 20 layers, please let me know!
Thanks!

Tricia

PS - I'm also so happy to be back at BYC!

Welcome back to the insanity that is BYC. LOL
Now DH can't complain, because it was HIS idea...
I think with broilers a tractor MIGHT be a good thing, but I don't have them so I'm not the expert.

That is the kind of storey I love to hear about. I have made several small coops from scraps of siding that were available from a guy that builds sheds. I don't know how that would work for 20 chickens. I use it as a breeding or brooding house/pen. Home depot have a kit the you can build on your lot for around $ 500. but that does not include the floor, paint or shingles as I remember. Maybe a straw house would be the ticket for you.

Quote:
Glad you're back too! Keep us posted as you build your coop and stock up on chickens. We all LOVE pictures, and are always looking to add coop building plans / processes & end pictures to the coop section of BYC.

Make sure your broilers have plenty of room. We had about 15-20 once and the run was too small. what a stinky mess. once a week cleaning was not enough. but they sure do taste good:D I would pay the 2 bucks as we butchered ours and made them into boneless skinless chicken breast and it was all day affair. I am building a 7 x5 coup for some layers i am getting. I will let everyone now how it turns out. I am useing cinder blocks for the base as we have termites if the wood touches the ground. I have some scap wood and couragated metal for the roof so i am hoping to build it for under $100.

Thanks you guys!

I DREAMED chickens last night!!!
lol.png
I was up kind of late last night drawing up plans and putting together a list of materials I'll need. My husband is an electrician, so when he's on new construction sites he might be able to gather some of the stuff I need. I decided to do an 8x12 so that I can have room for storage in there too. Plus, if I decide to add to the flock it will be nice to have the extra room available. For the broilers I am going to use a trailer that my husband doesnt need any more. That way I can have it on the back of the property and when they are ready to go I can just pull the trailer to the locker plant!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom