Finally - I'm getting chickens again!

tricia

Songster
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
West Central Wisconsin
Hi - I'm Tricia. I was on the other board awhile ago as Helenarain. My husband never cared for the fact that I had chickens, and when I was pregnant with my second child I finally got rid of the chickens because aside from being pregnant and chasing a 1 year old, we were also building a new house. I've been wanting to start a new flock for quite awhile, it's been about 2 years since I've had a real flock. Recently my husband asked if I would get chickens again because he misses the eggs!!! I'm so excited! I cant stop thinking chickens now!! We are also going to do a small flock of broilers too, to see if we think it's worth it. I found a place that will process, bag and freeze them for $2.10 per bird. I have a plan for the broilers coop, but I need to find an inexpensive way to build a nice coop for the layers. I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!!
big_smile.png

If you have any ideas for an inexpensive coop in Wisconsin for about 20 layers, please let me know!
Thanks!

Tricia

PS - I'm also so happy to be back at BYC!

Welcome back to the insanity that is BYC. LOL
Now DH can't complain, because it was HIS idea...
I think with broilers a tractor MIGHT be a good thing, but I don't have them so I'm not the expert.

That is the kind of storey I love to hear about. I have made several small coops from scraps of siding that were available from a guy that builds sheds. I don't know how that would work for 20 chickens. I use it as a breeding or brooding house/pen. Home depot have a kit the you can build on your lot for around $ 500. but that does not include the floor, paint or shingles as I remember. Maybe a straw house would be the ticket for you.

Quote:
Glad you're back too! Keep us posted as you build your coop and stock up on chickens. We all LOVE pictures, and are always looking to add coop building plans / processes & end pictures to the coop section of BYC.

Woot!
big_smile.png
Hey girl...it's nice to see you again!!!! Can we trad hubs? Mine doesn't like my birdy babies...
lol.png

Make sure your broilers have plenty of room. We had about 15-20 once and the run was too small. what a stinky mess. once a week cleaning was not enough. but they sure do taste good:D I would pay the 2 bucks as we butchered ours and made them into boneless skinless chicken breast and it was all day affair. I am building a 7 x5 coup for some layers i am getting. I will let everyone now how it turns out. I am useing cinder blocks for the base as we have termites if the wood touches the ground. I have some scap wood and couragated metal for the roof so i am hoping to build it for under $100.

Thanks you guys!

I DREAMED chickens last night!!!
lol.png
I was up kind of late last night drawing up plans and putting together a list of materials I'll need. My husband is an electrician, so when he's on new construction sites he might be able to gather some of the stuff I need. I decided to do an 8x12 so that I can have room for storage in there too. Plus, if I decide to add to the flock it will be nice to have the extra room available. For the broilers I am going to use a trailer that my husband doesnt need any more. That way I can have it on the back of the property and when they are ready to go I can just pull the trailer to the locker plant!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom