What age is the best to rehome an extra rooster?

Alvie

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2024
I've got 5 straight run chickens who are coming up 7 weeks old now. I've got one really obvious cockerel and one who I am 80% sure is also a cockerel - His comb and wattles are larger than the girls but nowhere near as big and red as the first's. I am expecting to have to rehome of l least one of them to keep the peace in the flock, but also to make room for another egg layer in our suburban setup. Once I'm certain they're both roos, what age would be best to find one a new home? Should I wait until they exhibit specific behaviours or just be realistic and find a new home before I get too attached? I also want to consider the best age to smoothly bring a replacement hen into the flock. Has anyone had experience with this that they can share? Any advice appreciated!

I think if your sure it's a roo and not part of your breeding program you should re-home anytime.. sooner the better.
I also think you shouldn't just bring in one chick/pullet/hen addition. Wait til you have room for 2-3.
Very stressful for a single bird, getting bullied from the flock. With multiples they at least have a buddy/hatchmate to hang with because they will be a sub flock til fully integrated.

It is better to rehome extra cockerels as soon as possible so you do not get attached and you do not run out of time. You can post pictures of both of your cockerels, since you seem to be unsure of their sex.

Also, it is wrong to bring in a singular female to the flock. She will be subject to being bullied more than the others, and it is better to integrate multiple females at the same time so one is not the main target.

Welcome!
Are you planning to keep one of these cockerels in your flock? If this is your first flock, and all your birds are the same age, removing both cockerels, soon, will be easiest and best for your pullets. Males mature first, and with no adults to help 'civilize' them, often things get rough for the pullets. And it's also true that adding one pullet or hen to an established flock is really tough on her.
Best to rehome both cockerels as soon as possible, add two or more females at once, and maybe raise some straight run chicks next spring, and possibly get a 'keeper' rooster out of that group. You will have more experience, and you will have hens to help manage the youngsters.
Mary

Welcome!
Are you planning to keep one of these cockerels in your flock? If this is your first flock, and all your birds are the same age, removing both cockerels, soon, will be easiest and best for your pullets. Males mature first, and with no adults to help 'civilize' them, often things get rough for the pullets. And it's also true that adding one pullet or hen to an established flock is really tough on her.
Best to rehome both cockerels as soon as possible, add two or more females at once, and maybe raise some straight run chicks next spring, and possibly get a 'keeper' rooster out of that group. You will have more experience, and you will have hens to help manage the youngsters.
Mary
This is very true and totally agree.

Mary always has much wisdom to share. 👍

You can integrate one young hen if your flock has a rooster. I do it all the time since my sex ratio hatches differ each time.

But without one, it will take a very long time for the flock to get use to the new member. So constant monitoring is required to keep the new hen safe. And intervene at any scuffle that will occur.

Cockerels at any age should leave if you don't need them. It's better not to have problems with the flock during there growth stage, cause it will happen. The aim is to have a stress free flock.

I've got 5 straight run chickens who are coming up 7 weeks old now.....I also want to consider the best age to smoothly bring a replacement hen into the flock.
After you get rid of two males, you will only have three females left, right?

For adding new females, sooner is probably better than later, if you can get one that is close in age to the current ones. Having the new one be slightly older, rather than slightly younger, will probably make it easier to integrate them (because a slightly older one will be bigger and more confident, less easily bullied by the current three females.)

Back
Top Bottom