Can I keep multiple roosters in a small flock?

There is a huge difference in set ups, between back yards, and 200 head flocks.

Smaller flocks, the least number of roosters is best. In smaller set ups, no roosters is a good idea, especially for inexperienced people.
I didn't start with two hundred birds. And don't normally keep 200. I started with very small numbers and I am still a "backyard flock" even at the high end. I do not run things commercially. I am a permaculture designer and a regenerative gardener. As well as many other holistic modalities. I run things here very simple and close to nature. What I mean by all this is that even when my numbers were smaller I still was able to do it the same. It isn't necessarily the numbers that make it work it is the set and thoroughly thinking things through, like I described previously. Now that I breed chickens friendliness and non aggression play a huge role in who is part of my breeding program. It is priority that the birds I keep have a specific demeanor. But I also attribute my success to allowing the flock to have multiple generations and the birds community policing and rearing themselves within those multiple generations. When it wasn't that way their were problems. And. Talking about the beginning with small numbers then EVEN with small numbers when things started to change as far the ages of birds and them being reared here the roosters dynamics drastically changed. I think that has a lot to do with young roosters being reared by older roosters and not being allowed to be tyrannical maniacs. Just my observations with my own flock that widely fluctuates in numbers.

The problem will be how they are kept. If you intend to keep them in a coop and run the chances of success are minimal. If you have a few acres where they can free range and you're prepared to supply further coops when things get violent then you're in with a shout.

I agree! The key to keeping multiple roosters is having enough room or separating them. Roosters don't just fight and hurt themselves they can abuse and kill the hens when you have too many of them. I gave both of my roosters their own flock so I can observe how well they treat the hens

I agree! The key to keeping multiple roosters is having enough room or separating them. Roosters don't just fight and hurt themselves they can abuse and kill the hens when you have too many of them. I gave both of my roosters their own flock so I can observe how well they treat the hens
Mine actually seperated themselves. And seemed liked it was the hens who actually did the selecting not the roosters

Mine actually seperated themselves. And seemed liked it was the hens who actually did the selecting not the roosters
My roosters work as a team and roost side by side with one or two hens between them. I've tried observing them during the day but its difficult .Most of the pullets liked the less aggressive one but 6 months later he took the dominant role.It appears most of them have taken a disliking to him lately which is why I've separated them to see how they all react

Back
Top Bottom