Finch Questions!

Scwood24

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
Hi, I'm new here! I have 5 chickens, 2 cockatiels, and 2 finches. My mom wants to start breeding the finches again, but she wasn't sure how to go about this. We believe they are female Spice Finches. What's compatible with them for living and breeding?

1.2 Normal
1.1 Red-tail
0.1 Albino corn

Hi, I'm new here! I have 5 chickens, 2 cockatiels, and 2 finches. My mom wants to start breeding the finches again, but she wasn't sure how to go about this. We believe they are female Spice Finches. What's compatible with them for living and breeding?

1.2 Normal
1.1 Red-tail
0.1 Albino corn

Male spice finches have a little song and dance routine; sexes look alike. They get along with the smaller more timid finches. Room is very important when breeding different species of finch together. Also, spice finches will a cross with many other species of finch. If it's just breeding you want then I'd recommend having just spice finches. You will find a great deal of information on the internet.

Quote:
Male spice finches have a little song and dance routine; sexes look alike. They get along with the smaller more timid finches. Room is very important when breeding different species of finch together. Also, spice finches will a cross with many other species of finch. If it's just breeding you want then I'd recommend having just spice finches. You will find a great deal of information on the internet.
Thank you! We intend to get breeding cages. What are the smaller timid birds?

Thank you! We intend to get breeding cages. What are the smaller timid birds?

Society finches are timid but interfere with breeding attempts of all other finches in an aviary. Societies will all pile into one nest and try to raise young-doesn't work. Society finches are best kept in breeding cages as pairs only. If breeding isn't a goal the societies make excellent birds in a mixed aviary/cage. Zebra finch work well as long as there is enough room; as do cutthroats. Cordon blues, waxbills-most of the tiny finches get along. Your best bet is to do some research. You will find a lot of good books and internet information available.

Back
Top Bottom