Finding sproutable grains

If OP has that small a flock, she may still find that buying a 50# bag is cheaper, b/c the reamaining portion that she does not sprout can be used instead of scratch, or it can be used as a green manure crop in the garden, or it can be planted in the run or a dedicated garden bed for the flock, or she can split the bag with a friend. It wouldn't take very many trips to the health food store to buy sprouting grains before she's spent the equivalent cost of a 50# bag of grain. And if she feeds wild birds, she may already have a start of sprouting opptions: millet, and BOSS.

I sprout for my flock in 1 qt large mouth mason jars. You can buy a 3 piece plastic sprouting lid set to fit the jars, or simply use a piece of window screening, or needle point plastic cut to fit inside the jar ring. Your collander is also a nice option. I keep 2 jars going all the time, but may need to add a third.
How does it work? You just soak them strain them out and they sprout?

Thanks

Gary

Hey Gary! Yep, that's pretty much it. I soak the seeds over night, then rinse them several times/day until they get to the size you want to feed. i use large mouth qt. jar. You can buy a set of sprouting lids, or you can use the canning ring and put a piece of window screening between it and the jar. The plastic window screening will simply screw into the jar threads with the canning ring. You can then fill and drain without removing the lid. You want to be sure NOT to have any standing water in your sprouts while they are growing. About 3/4 cup of grains will make a qt of sprouts.

Sprout-Ease - Econo-Sprouter Toppers Set - 3 Piece(s)

by Sprout-Ease

4.7 out of 5 stars 372 customer reviews

| 18 answered questions

• 4182T%2BqQfCL._SS40_.jpg
  • 31qq4--ocSL._SS40_.jpg

My chickens absolutely LOVE sprouted popcorn. We had a huge bag of popcorn get chewed open by a mouse in the basement. I swept it up and I have been sprouting it for the chickens as a treat. Just pick up a bag of popcorn from the grocery store - the old fashioned, un-popped, unflavored, not-microwave stuff in the clear plastic bag. Even the cheap-o generic stuff grows

Did you know you can also grow popcorn from the stuff you pick up in the store? A handful of un-popped "seeds" grew into 9 pounds of corn to feed the chickens. It took up an area about 4'x10' long in my garden. I lost almost 1/3 of it to coons and still wound up with 9 pounds total when shelled off the cob.

My chickens absolutely LOVE sprouted popcorn. We had a huge bag of popcorn get chewed open by a mouse in the basement. I swept it up and I have been sprouting it for the chickens as a treat. Just pick up a bag of popcorn from the grocery store - the old fashioned, un-popped, unflavored, not-microwave stuff in the clear plastic bag. Even the cheap-o generic stuff grows

Did you know you can also grow popcorn from the stuff you pick up in the store? A handful of un-popped "seeds" grew into 9 pounds of corn to feed the chickens. It took up an area about 4'x10' long in my garden. I lost almost 1/3 of it to coons and still wound up with 9 pounds total when shelled off the cob.

I'm going to have to try it now that you've mentioned it. I've sprouted alfalfa (easy but boring), but popcorn?
cool.png

edit: dropped an "e" and put it back in
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm going to have to try it now that you've mentiond it. I've sprouted alfalfa (easy but boring), but popcorn?
cool.png
Pop corn is still just corn.....

Anything that was once plant and is now seed should sprout.
old.gif

I especially like sprouting peas because they are super high in protein.

However.... 9 # of wet sprouts is not equal to 9 # of dry matter or digestible content. A lot of that is simply water weight. And therefor does nothing for nutrient content or your wallet. I do still enjoy sprouting... but it's not nearly as lucrative as it sounds. They animals enjoy greatly to though!

Just be aware of the reality instead of the idea... and happy sprouting, peeps!
yippiechickie.gif

@IdyllwildAcres The best part is it all takes place in about 8 days... temperature sensitive.

When I got chickens, I stopped feeding wild birds. Per @lazy gardener 's suggestion, you can pick up a fairly big bag of mixed wild bird seed or BOSS at most grocery stores for not a lot of money. I have sprouted the left over wild mixed bird seed and it went over very well with the chickens!

Also, for sprouting with canning jars, I use a circle cut out of that bumpy plastic shelf liner material (I don't know how else to describe it!) and insert that with a canning ring over the jar for drainage. Easy. I have also seen people use craft needlepoint screen, same thing...

Have fun! There are so many options...I looked on craigslist the other day and found a 50# bag of whole oats for $10 from a local farmer.

Last edited:
Quote: Technically, a seed should sprout... unless it's immature, old, stripped of it's bran, hull or germ, heat treated or irradiated. Many seeds that we buy are just that!

Back in my granola days, sprouting was always going on in my kitchen. The literature I was reading then, stated that a grain of sprouted wheat WOULD BE more nutritious than it was when it was dry. So, I went looking for documentation. Here's just a bit of one article I found: http://specertified.com/blog/view/what-are-sprouted-grains-are-they-healthier-than-unsprouted-grains

Are sprouted grains healthier than unsprouted grains?

There is a limited but growing body of research around the health benefits of sprouted grains. Recent evidence shows that sprouting may increase many of a grain’s essential nutrients, including B-vitamins, Vitamin C, folate, soluble fiber and essential amino acids. Lysine, for example, is a vital amino acid that can be found frequently in high-protein foods like eggs and red meat, but is often limited in conventional grains.

A higher nutrient count among sprouted grains, then, could have important implications for those on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Another enzyme that can be elevated in sprouted grains is amylase, which breaks down starches into sugars. Increased levels of amylase could heighten a grain’s digestibility.
Additionally, there is some anecdotal evidence that individuals with mild sensitivities to gluten may digest sprouted grains better than unsprouted grains due to lower gluten content. Sprouting does not completely eliminate the gluten, though, so this would not apply to individuals with celiac disease or severe gluten sensitivity.
sprouted-quinoa-flickr-apathyduck-540x360.jpg

Image: apathyduck

Lastly, as with soaking grains, sprouting is said to improve the “bioavailability” of certain grain nutrients by stimulating the breakdown of enzyme inhibitors such as phytic acid. In theory, the better the bioavailability of a certain food, the better your body will absorb minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc (all of which are found in grains).

So, sprout on folks. Do so for your birds, and do so for yourselves!!!

Currently I sprout a whole wack of variety...depends on what i have. Currently I've been going through my gardening seeds, and sprouting out those for the girls (the ones that i need to dump anyways due to aging). They seem to love them. I also do, red clover, hard red wheat, barley, and alfalfa.

I love the sounds of sprouting out the BOSS, as well as beans. Might give those a try once i'm done sprouting the blend i have right now.
Don't sprout these...but they sure do love peanuts and quinoa. Has anyone tried sprouting those? I get a wild bird seed blend from the feed store that i've started giving them a bit of, they love it.

Back
Top Bottom