First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I'm so behind--two soccer games today--first of the season.

Turkey eggs arrived today.
wee.gif
One damaged, pushing against another egg. I thought I would wax it. How do I do that? Was is hot--will that hurt the egg?

I've only waxed once and it didn't develop. I tried dripping wax onto the egg from a distance so it would cool a bit before contact.

This time I used scotch tape over the big crack and waxed the little cracks.

Dick Hortsman sent me some of his beauteous silver laced bantam polish eggs and when I candled them on day 10 I noticed one was extremely shatter cracked at the pointed end but it had a live wiggley chick developing in it. I waxed it with candle wax using a birthday candle and it is still alive on day 16
fl.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
It was a really bad crack with multiple veins running all over the tip. I almost put it out in the compost but the chick inside was wiggling so actively I just couldn't bring myself to discard it
love.gif
hugs.gif

Well, Deer tastes really good unless you live in Montana where they taste like you are eating pine needles. anyway, I will try to do some research on the deer subject and see what I've come up with. I have also heard that mothballs will keep them away. Has anyone tried that? I know for my garden I made a 6ft fence from landscaping timbers wrapped in chicken wire. works great just not so pretty. LOL

we've tried everything.. soap, mothballs, urine, candle scent, pinwheels.. even dogs.. (the deer have been caught playing in the dog's run more than once).. our deer have 0 fear of man.. they have walked right up to me (staying about 5 feet away max) and demanding sweet feed or to have the water pans rinsed and filled.. we have even caught them looking into the living room windows on a summer evening (guess they wanted to see what was on the TV). I was assured by the fine people at the feed store that a mix of blood meal and bone meal would deter them.. nope.. tried it and they weren't impressed

Dick Hortsman sent me some of his beauteous silver laced bantam polish eggs and when I candled them on day 10 I noticed one was extremely shatter cracked at the pointed end but it had a live wiggley chick developing in it. I waxed it with candle wax using a birthday candle and it is still alive on day 16
fl.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
It was a really bad crack with multiple veins running all over the tip. I almost put it out in the compost but the chick inside was wiggling so actively I just couldn't bring myself to discard it
love.gif
hugs.gif

i've had about 75% luck with hatching out waxed eggs.. so gonna keep my fingers crossed for yours!

Anyone had anything this cracked hatch?
Ouch! I've only had three cracked eggs. All of them came out of the box that way. Two of them the whites were running out and the third was a quail egg that my thumb went through when I touched it.

I always figure, it can't hurt to try and you can just watch it and dispose at the first sign of trouble.

edited to add - I'd think the main thing would be if the membrane were compromised.

Deb

Last edited:
Anyone had anything this cracked hatch?

It kind of looks like mine I got yesterday. I obviously didn't eat it this morning, still debating. It doesn't appear to be leaking, and like Deb said, it can always be disposed of later. I'm game if you are to try waxing and hatching it.

Back
Top Bottom