First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Since we are graced with a number of experienced turkey owners, I would like to ask if everyone would share their knowledge of each of the turkey breeds. APA and non-APA.

Like which are meatier in the breast and thigh.
who are the good foragers
Temperaments are important with kids around, also include which lines within a breed
Actual adult sizes as I keep reading, needs improvement

and how to cook them!
we have been raising Heritage turkeys.. some are mutts and some are "purebreds" from Porters...
for size:
toms:
the Black Spanish and Chocolates are beasts.. absolutely the biggest ones in the bunch
We have a Red Penciled tom that is a close second in size
I have a Nargansett Tom that is a close third to the Spanish and Chocolates
I also have one mutt mixed between Lavender and Burbon Red that is rivaling him for size.. but not sure which is the heaviest between them
hens:
we got in one Oregon grey hen that is very petite.. though I believe she must be a fluke.. cause I have seen some good sized Oregons..
the Burbon Reds that I got from Porters and also the eggs I got from eBay seem to be close in size.. though I think Porters may have a pound on the eBay ones... they are a teeny bit smaller than the Bronze and Chocolate hens
the Bronze and Chocolate hens are the biggest.. with the Chocolates being a smidge larger than the Bronze
Lavendar and Burbon Red mutts are about the size of the Burbon Reds from Porters.. I would have to weigh them to see if there is much of a difference at all.. they came from the same place as the Burbon Red eBay ones.. so I wouldn't expect there to be too much of a difference

personality:
toms:
we have a Red Penciled from Porters that is the underdog.. everyone (even the hens) beat up on him.. he was the slowest maturing (not to be confused with growth... he just didn't show his "manly" genes til much later.. thought for the longest time he was a giant hen).. he still will not try to breed the girls.. i saw him strut once.. which earned him a beatdown from all the other toms.. he will be going to freezer camp today if it doesn't storm
the Black Spanish toms are without a doubt the most aggressive... they dethroned the Chocolate who used to be the alpha tom... and it seems they LOVE to fight among the other toms.. though in their defense none of our birds have ever shown any aggression towards me or my husband
the Nargansett tom is a favorite among the girls.. though he isn't a fighter.. he seems to be somewhere in the middle of the pecking order.. he doesn't fight and doesn't get attacked... a real sweetheart
The Chocolate Tom started out being our alpha.. he stayed on top until the Spanish joined forces and beat him silly

for hens..
the Chocolate hens seem to be in charge.. we have a few Bronze hens (I always seem to forget about them) who always remind me of Miss Prissy from the cartoons.. really busy bodies.. they HAVE to come investigate the feed bucket and always want to check out what I am wearing to see if there is anything they can peck off of my clothes... they are not aggressive.. just incredibly nosy
the little Oregon Grey is very standoffish (to people at least).. could be because she is so tiny.. however she is also our "floozy".. lol always sitting down for each and every tom.. (seems like all the time too.. sheesh!)
the Bourbon Reds are "just turkeys".. they don't seem to have the personality that the chocolates and Bronzes have... they don't shy away.. but also don't see all that concerned to come over to say hello either

as for taste.. well.. they all taste MUCH better than store bought.. most of our birds go for turkey burger.. so I really haven't noticed a difference between the "varieties" of the heritage birds.. even so with several being mutts
for the birds we have deep fried.. they all were VERY yummy

oh.. and to answer the cooking question...
we grind up a lot of turkey burger at butchering time.. so we use it just like ground beef in any recipe that calls for it
for the whole birds we usually use a Cajun rub and Cajun Butter injected into the meat and deep fry them (hey.. this is Texas... that's pretty much all we do for turkey here.. lol)!
*warning:.. if you use an injectible with GARLIC .. it WILL turn the bird black.. but it tastes fine.. we just prefer the Cajun BUTTER which doesn't turn it black at all

Sorry, off my soapbox now. I had my horse put down Wednesday, it was terrible. He got down sometime before daylight, I got there at 7:30am, he was suffering and the vet couldn't get there till 2:00pm. Then he asked me if I was ready! I told him I had been ready since 8:00am.
Sorry Wisher, I know it's a terribly hard decision. I once had a pony that foundered after a botched nail trim. She suffered so, all four feet had separated. I was a single mother and pretty poor. Twice a day (before and after work), I had to soak her feet, treat them and inject her with penicillin, all when she really didn't even want to stand up. I had to carry all her food and water to her where she was lying. After a couple of weeks with no improvement, the vet recommended we put her down. It was very sad!

hugs.gif

Deb

Okay, you guys are cracking me up!
lau.gif
Is there a wetting your pants icon?

OMG! If I didn't need it before I need one now!
gig.gif

I hate to butt in here, but if you love or have ever loved the dog, take him to the vet and have him put down. Call around and check prices, go with the cheapest, they all do it the same. It is the kindest way. He won't have to spend time in a run, without family and not understanding. He won't go through the "gas" experience or the freezer or what ever method they use. The dog can not be adopted, the vet has the same outcome as the pound, only faster, and more tranquil. I know it's hard, but you can walk out as the shot is about to be given. It is more expensive, but what price is peace of mind, knowing you did it the easiest way for him?

Sorry, off my soapbox now. I had my horse put down Wednesday, it was terrible. He got down sometime before daylight, I got there at 7:30am, he was suffering and the vet couldn't get there till 2:00pm. Then he asked me if I was ready! I told him I had been ready since 8:00am.

That's terrible. The death of a horse is always horrible. So sorry you had to go through it
hugs.gif

I know they would put him down, that is why I was bringing him there. He was struggling so much to when my husband was trying to load him into his truck he had to shoot him. You have to understand he attacked a 10 year old child and needed to be gone then.

So sorry you had to go through this. We lost one in a similar manner - after 20 stitches in the neighbor brat kid. I didn't even blame the dog - the kid was throwing rocks at him.

I'm not hatching turkeys, although I did set chicken eggs today. Just stopped in to say...
Strombergs is having an Incubator Sale!

That is just...... unspeakable cruel. ENABLER!

So sorry, Wisher.
im_sorry.gif
It is hard to make the decision, but it definitely the best in that situation. Our 31 year old horse (well he would have been 31 on May 4th) was fine this morning and at noon. My husband let the horses out in the pasture around 4:00 to clean stalls, and Peaceville Prince went out with the other three (his marem). He apparently had a heart attack, and was gone in a matter of minutes. I am sorry that he's gone, but so glad he went like that.

Oh goodness! So sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
I do think it a blessing that a horse of that age made it through winter to pass in peace in the spring of the year.

Jess, Here's the version for your larger hens........or medium hens like mine with 10 chicks!!
An old garbage can that had cracked on the top by the handle, cut the top off, cut an opening and viola`, home! Disregard the dust (I have chickens you know!) and the decorations left by the juvidees using it for a "king of the hill" game.
gig.gif

Oh good idea! I have a couple of garbage cans I hate because the lids don't come off. Now I have a good reason to replace them!

yinepu, please post pictures of the poults you are hatching. I love seeing turkey fuzzybutts!

my husband snapped a quick pic with the cell phone.. i don't normally have them on a towel.. but he grabbed one of my emu towels when I told him I had poults hatching.. so it will do for today

so far there's an assortment.. one is kind of a silver color.. didn't show up well in this picture.. I'll take some better ones later
there's still a few eggs in the bator.. so I'll check them in a few hours and see if any more have finished hatching

Jess, Here's the version for your larger hens........or medium hens like mine with 10 chicks!!
An old garbage can that had cracked on the top by the handle, cut the top off, cut an opening and viola`, home! Disregard the dust (I have chickens you know!) and the decorations left by the juvidees using it for a "king of the hill" game.
gig.gif

Very nice! It just so happens I have a can like that with a cracked top as my son after emptying the "bird stuff" while cleaning out the coop threw it and cracked it. I was going to take it to the dump. I wonder if I can use it next spring for turkeys? It is a large can......

Whoa... how'd we get to almost 700 posts??!!

..............because we love to talk?!

My family has been hatching them out using the same parameters that Porters has been using.. and from what I was told.. we've been doing it that way for well over 100 years through all the generations

since I'm using the Reptipro here's what I had:
99.5 degrees (can go up to 100 with no problems) for the temp at shelf level (some people have issues with getting the correct temp at shelf level with a Reptipro.. I think they are over thinking it.. so I use temp at shelf level and it has never failed me)

during the winter i don't add any water since the bator is in our bathroom.. so stays humid enough in there for them.. during the summer I add water to bring the humidity up a bit (it gets insanely dry here)... 40 to 45% in the bator during incubation... you could probably go a bit drier for incubation without any problems.. though at hatch i always make sure the humidity is really up there

around day 24 to day 25 I candle and check for any internal pips.. then take them out of the turner or quit turning (depending on if I was hand turning or not)

lower the temp down to 98 - 98.5 and then raise the humidity up to 80% or higher (personally I think this is the key to having poults hatch without any getting too weak or stuck..)

these poults have been pipping and zipping with no problems at all... no stuck or sticky chicks.. and no wore out chicks that couldn't hatch on their own
now we're just waiting on the late hatchers (well.. they were due TODAY.. so they aren't really late... lol)

Quote:

Thanks for the great info yinepu! Very helpful!

I have had turkey eggs hatching today... not the ones we set last week mind you.. but the ones I set a few weeks ago.. last time I checked I had 4 out and the rest of the eggs had pips.. if I get a chance tomorrow I'll post pics of my little turkey mutts

I was going to ask what temperature you were incubating at to get them to hatch that fast!
gig.gif

I decided on Royal Palms for my turkeys, I know that they are more ornamental than for eating, But I think they are so pretty! Maybe I will work on my own line of midget white/royal palms that are pretty and fill out nice for the table in the future?

Has anybody seen Royal Palm x Standard Bronze? Do they just look like lighter bronze? My RP tom is not to nice. I wish I had a RP hen for him so I could hatch some pure from him and then send him to freezer camp.
Thanks,
Jim

We ran out to the barn really quickly before church this morning and the two boys were up and wobbling..

The little girl is still extremely weak.. I stayed up till 1:30 with her, got up at 5:30 to feed her and she does seem to be getting a little stronger but still isn't standing.. Just now, she ate pretty good.. hopefully she'll keep getting stronger..

I'm heading out to the barn now and we'll get some more pictures...

Back
Top Bottom