First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I went out to give the broody girl some eggs. I decided to let her decide and I put the eggs in one at a time. Each egg that I put in front of her, she gently tucked underneath herself and looked at me as if to say, "more please." She took all 25 and had them all covered. I will watch closely and pull some if she has trouble keeping the whole batch covered.

I went out to give the broody girl some eggs. I decided to let her decide and I put the eggs in one at a time. Each egg that I put in front of her, she gently tucked underneath herself and looked at me as if to say, "more please." She took all 25 and had them all covered. I will watch closely and pull some if she has trouble keeping the whole batch covered.

Nice I just love Broodies!!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the new addiction and you are welcome to pop in over at Incubators Anonymous if you feel the need of a little help!! Enablers one and all!
highfive.gif

Thank you! I could probably use a support group
big_smile.png

Welcome to the insanity hatchalong HappyAcres. Have you sent a PM to Chookschick to let her know you are joining (it's not anything formal, it's just so you get your name on the first post) If it is already there, I apologize, I started typing without looking and I am feeling lazy and don't want to start my post over again.
wink.png
You alsmo must report your preferred color and size straight jacket. It's OK we're all wearing them.
gig.gif

searching.png
I am looking for the poultry yoga poses BTW. I believe SCG promised some duck shennanigans!

Thanks & I did
smile.png
I PMed her as soon I saw the thread but haven't had a chance to get back on here since, my toddler & the animals keep me busy most days but I'm looking forward to stopping by more often. I'll have to sleep on the color, I have a feeling I'll be wearing it a long time
old.gif

Okay, I need to know if I should panic... Our power went out tonight for about an hour, both incubator egg temps got down to 89-90. I got the cabinet one (Day 14 turkey eggs & day 6 chicken eggs) back up to 99 in under 10 min and it's been holding steady since. The Brinsea (Cinco de Mayo eggs) is only at 98 but steadily rising and it's been 45 minutes since the power came back on. How bad is this for the eggs?

Quote:
Okay, I need to know if I should panic... Our power went out tonight for about an hour, both incubator egg temps got down to 89-90. I got the cabinet one (Day 14 turkey eggs & day 6 chicken eggs) back up to 99 in under 10 min and it's been holding steady since. The Brinsea (Cinco de Mayo eggs) is only at 98 but steadily rising and it's been 45 minutes since the power came back on. How bad is this for the eggs?

No need to panic at all.. the eggs under a broody will lose that much in temperature when they get off to eat etc.. No problem at all..if anything, you're just a little closer to nature's way!!

Thank you! I could probably use a support group
big_smile.png

Thanks & I did
smile.png
I PMed her as soon I saw the thread but haven't had a chance to get back on here since, my toddler & the animals keep me busy most days but I'm looking forward to stopping by more often. I'll have to sleep on the color, I have a feeling I'll be wearing it a long time
old.gif

not to bad the mom will get off the eggs for a while to eat, drink, and defecate I would not worry too much one idea is to get one of these water wigglers and stick a thermometer in it it will mimic the eggs pretty well and you can judge the internal temp of the egg more accurately and not just the temp inside the bator. You can get them on eBay or at wal-mart

Hmmmm. . . I have 3 banties that tonight appeared to be going broody. How many turkey eggs do you think a banty can handle? LOL And can you mix the size of eggs you give a hen? I have turkey, LF chicken and pheasant eggs in the LG, and its totally full. Probably better to stick to one size per hen. Of course, I could just go take some more pheasant eggs out of the pheasant pen. They aren't sitting on them. At least this year they are laying most of their eggs in the nest boxes instead of dropping them wherever. Well, except for the eggs I have in the bator, which were laying out in the middle of the pen, so I decided those were mine.
wink.png
I keep hoping a couple of them will go broody one of these days. I guess it's still early, but the nest boxes are starting to get full. Maybe I should put the broody hens in the pheasant pen and let them show the stupid err . . . uneducated pheasant hens what they are supposed to do.
lau.gif
Any advice???

not to bad the mom will get off the eggs for a while to eat, drink, and defecate I would not worry too much one idea is to get one of these water wigglers and stick a thermometer in it it will mimic the eggs pretty well and you can judge the internal temp of the egg more accurately and not just the temp inside the bator. You can get them on eBay or at wal-mart

The 89 was an internal temp, I have a fake egg in there... does that make it worse? In what dept at walmart, I have been looking for them, I saw them online but the shipping was more then the wiggler which makes me crazy so I didn't buy it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom