First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

no it doesn't, In the toy department.

thank you
celebrate.gif

Wow, its been I busy thread this evening!

First off, Welcome HappyAcresKY!

People we discussing egg sales and extra eggs. We don't sell any, we give to friends and family from the Cleveland area when we see them, otherwise they go to the food bank. I suppose that could be a tax deduction, but we really keep chickens because we like them.

MrHeinze (sp?). The swiss cows are pretty, sorry you had to cut down. My wife grew up on a dairy farm, her cousin bought it from her father in 1981, we now live on the property he saved and built on when he sold it. Her cousin (he's 60) will most likely sell it to the Amish family that raises his heiffers, so it'll stay a farm. That's important to my wife and her cousin, no housing development here.

HappyAcres - Its never the time to panic, unless you are one of the people where panicing helps.

And I'm glad the nubian doeling, Miracle, is improving. Its impossible to be in a bad mood around boinging goat kids.

I think we know what happened to your finger now. Dreaded duck gnawing. You better get a rabies, tetnus and MMR shots.
tongue2.gif

You know me and needles. For me to get a shot I'd not only need a straightjacket but I'd need BF and probably about 3 other people to hold me down AND a Xanax. And I cry, bite and run.

Okay hatchers, I need some advice. I got some more eggs from a lady with Marans and Wellsummers (I really want some dark eggs!) She had already washed, with water and a soft cloth, todays eggs. She did find a few that had not been washed and gave me some of each. I plan to put them under a broody tonight. What do you guys think about setting the washed eggs? I chose the cleanest eggs for the last hatch but none of them hatched anyway. Quick! Somebody tell me what to do! Set the washed eggs, set the un washed eggs, or set some of both. There are too many for one hen anyway......

I've hatched washed eggs, no problems.

Ha! Ha! We're talking around each other! This is not the same broody but they were hatch-mates. I don't trust my incubation skills as much as I do a new broody. How many would be a reasonable large batch??

Usually the number is no more than 12. Remember that a broody not only has to keep the eggs warm (and that's a lot of eggs to keep warm) but also the chicks, for at least 2 weeks, and they'll get pretty big, quickly. The more eggs you have under her the more uneven the temps would be in the eggs causing incubation problems.

That being said, my teeny tiny monster broody banty can hoard eggs and I've found over 12 under her, and I couldn't tell when I first looked at her how many she was smuggling. So they might be capable of covering all the eggs, and keeping them all decently warm, so it's up to you to decide.

birdguy, so glad to hear that Miracle is doing better. Trying to stand is a really good sign in my book.
zookeeper, congrats on your new kids as well!
wee.gif

Wisher, I love the pic of the "turkeys" you hatched.
wink.png
Very nice looking boys.
HappyAcres it is pretty amazing how much the eggs can survive. I wouldn't worry about the power outage at all. I had a power outage on a hatch last year for a few hours when I was at work close to hatch day. When I came home, I had a turkey poult hatched who was kinda lethargic because it was "chilly" in the incubator. I actually plugged the bator into our car and once it warmed up the poult perked up. The power came back on and we moved the bator back into the house. The hatch went fine.
Well gotta go get ready for work.

I'm charging $4 a dozen and that still doesn't cover the feed costs. THe prices keep going up, the fuel surcharge to deliver has tripled over 3 years.

I try to free range, because it's fun to watch them and they can get natural food and it entertains them as well.

wee.gif
My Golden Campine eggs from debs_flock arrived (finally) yesterday. She used her "ingenious pipe insulation packing method" and every egg was in perfect shape!! Because the package sat upright in my DH's work locker all day and Deb packed them with the large end up, I transferred them to cut-off egg cartons and put them next to the brooder and incubator to warm up a bit. I then transferred them to the incubator.........in doing so, bumped one egg and cracked it
barnie.gif
too big of a crack to repair so took it to the kitchen to put it in a bowl to scramble for the chicks. After all they've been through.........I hope at least a mate for the one I hatched in the Easter Hatchalong makes it!
fl.gif

Welcome to new hatchers!
frow.gif

Cute "turkey" boys you hatched!
thumbsup.gif

Miracle is a cutie......good news that she is standing.

I love my broodies.....I hope a couple start by the time these eggs are hatching!
fl.gif

Feed prices are crazy and I live where the grains are grown! My flock also likes to free range so that helps....for part of the year anyway....

Off to work.............Later!

People we discussing egg sales and extra eggs. We don't sell any, we give to friends and family from the Cleveland area when we see them, otherwise they go to the food bank. I suppose that could be a tax deduction, but we really keep chickens because we like them.

we give all of our extras away too... my husband took in one of the big priority mail boxes full of eggs to work the other day (there was at least 7 dozen turkey and chicken eggs in there.. I stopped counting after awhile).. he said the guys almost fought over them...

otherwise our dogs get a lot of eggs every day.. plus what we eat.
lol.. sometimes the cats get a few .. though they prefer to "help" me when I butcher!

Back
Top Bottom