First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Gorgeous views D!

I was in the basement planting some sprouted cuke seeds into their new homes. I turn around, walk towards the basement door, lost in my own seed starting world, when a big black rat goes scurrying by my feet and under the table. I scream at the top of my lungs, BF comes rushing down. I explain that a ginormous rat just scurried by... and that he has to kill it. He gets a flashlight and peers under the table in the basement. Starts laughing. Yeah, it's an escaped black chick.

I swear it was a rat.

He's named it Ratty.

They've now lost heat lamp privileges so I can close the top to their brooder. It's about that time, anyway.

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
Sorry, SCG, too funny!!

Gorgeous views D!

I was in the basement planting some sprouted cuke seeds into their new homes. I turn around, walk towards the basement door, lost in my own seed starting world, when a big black rat goes scurrying by my feet and under the table. I scream at the top of my lungs, BF comes rushing down. I explain that a ginormous rat just scurried by... and that he has to kill it. He gets a flashlight and peers under the table in the basement. Starts laughing. Yeah, it's an escaped black chick.

I swear it was a rat.

He's named it Ratty.

They've now lost heat lamp privileges so I can close the top to their brooder. It's about that time, anyway.

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Gorgeous views D!

I swear it was a rat.

He's named it Ratty.

gig.gif

SCG.. you'll be seeing this guy in your dreams...

Last edited:
Gorgeous views D!

I swear it was a rat.

He's named it Ratty.

Sorry SCG......but that sounds like something I would do! And now everytime you see that chick you'll be reminded of your scare.........

Last edited:
I think I need another hatcher!!

Of course my incubator is full, too. A dozen eggs will be out Friday. That makes room for another dozen!!
wee.gif
THen a week later all the chicken eggs come out, leaving turkey eggs for one more week.

Okay, I don't need another hatcher, the staggering will work.

Phewwwww . . . that was hard work figuring out the spacing!

PVC is also much easier to haul than metal and wood, but we get a lot of storms up here (both the blowing kind and the dumping heavy solid precipitation kind) so we erred on the side of "oh look at how well the hoop coop fared" versus "hey where did our hoop coop go."

I'm not sure they were 16 foot cattle panels. We got them in the back of the truck, which has a short bed. Our coop is less than 5 feet tall, too.

arrrrggg Multiquotes aren't working!

We get some pretty high winds here too. I'm using rebar to hopefully help. I worry about the PVC not holding up in 115 degree weather too, but for now this is what I have to work with and I ain't shoven those panels into the trunk of my Jag! LOL SIL came and jelped me in the front yard today. Had to replace some of the sprinkler heads he put in since my youngest daughter's BF was nice enough to mow and rake when I had surgery, but lets just say.....It cost me. LOL He had his work truck and I had him help me get more wire. I'm using stucco wire for the most part. I'll add hardware around the bottom when I can afford to get it, but for now I just want to be ab;e to walk out my back door without being greeted but a bunch of greedy birds looking for treats. I'm tall, so the PVC is good for me. I need the top to be about 6' since I'm also clostrophobic. I think when I bent them to test the first panel I can go 6' high, by 8' across using 2 10ftpipes. I'll figure it out as I go, but I love seeing your coop, because I needed to visualize and kind of glad I had to stop for so long. Would have been nice to do it without breaking a bone, but at least I slowed down enough to get more supploes and rethink.

OK I candled and
hit.gif
most are clear and 2 are darker than I thought they should be. I left them. I just can't toss them out. I want babies!

I found more pips in the eggs I had left in to hatch, but they didn't get furthure than tiny pips. I'm bummed, but I do have 11 now since I got two hatched out yesterday.

OK, this has been a bad weekend and I was trying to post and keep my mind off of things and that's not working, so I think I'll do something inside, so I can go out back and at least get my supplies lined up so I can start on a panel tomorrow or this evening.

OH BTW........Linda, I haven't watched the news, but that had to be something! They been talking about so many of those things missing up I was wondering when we were going to be hit by one. Glad everyone is alright. Wonder where it came down???

Good morning turkey hatchers! We are over the halfway mark for the people who set Easter weekend! One thing to be thinking of for the next couple of weeks. If you don't have higher protien starter for your poults, you should start planning on getting some.
Don't forget to vote in Wisher's poultry yoga contest here
This week is the turkey photo caption contest. Let's start seeing some entries! The prize is a full year Golden Feather Membership!
SCG how is Ratty doing this morning?
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom