First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Quote: I agree that the fan can cause issues. When hatching anything that takes a while, I like to drape a paper towel over all of the eggs so the air isn't hitting them directly.
I'll have to post some more pics later when he's got his (her?) legs under him

I'm hoping it's another female.. a little too young to vent sex so in a week or so I'll send in the DNA test just to be sure

lol. we have a barn cat who THINKS he can take down any bird alive.. he caught a duck one day.. didn't bite it.. just pounced and wrapped his paws around it.. then stopped.. like he was wondering what he was supposed to do with it now that he had caught it.. then the duck beat him with a wing causing him to let go.. so he sat back and stared at the duck like "how dare he do that to me!".. washed his face and strutted away like it had all been planned to work out as it had... he's such a wussy boy.. never kills a bird but likes to chase them.. (and has only ever caught the one.. lol)
I've got a couple cats that enjoy terrorizing the chickens. The flock all know which ones they are and know to steer clear. It's harmless fun, though I do yell at them if I see it. I worry about the young chicks a bit, but I never lost one to them that I know of.
I have a 'cat' who is afraid of the chickens. He's 28# of fuzz and thinks he's a Cocker Spaniel. He does scare off other cats, and he discourages other interested 4-legged parties.

Any idea what your humidity was? No not really. the room humidity is about 50% and i filled one of the trays with water a while back.
Also.. when was the last time you really disinfected the bator? Right before this hatch
were the vents/plugs left open? one was open
Were they all shipped eggs? The 7 turkey eggs were, the chicken eggs were from my own girls

ok.. if you want to try again.. just start with your eggs or some locally from a friend.. once you get those to hatch well then try shipped eggs,.. and every time you try shipped eggs always add a few of your eggs as a control group.. that way if your eggs hatch well and the shipped ones don't.. you'll know it was a problem with the shipped eggs and not your methods

make sure your rooster is doing his job (check an egg for fertility and consider the roo to hen ratio)

make sure the vents are open next time
try dry incubation.. chances are if the room humidity was 50% you can dry incubate without any problems... so don't add any water during days 1-18 unless the air cells get too big too fast

use this as a guide (the numbers are the days of incubation)

I agree that the fan can cause issues. When hatching anything that takes a while, I like to drape a paper towel over all of the eggs so the air isn't hitting them directly.
I have a 'cat' who is afraid of the chickens. He's 28# of fuzz and thinks he's a Cocker Spaniel. He does scare off other cats, and he discourages other interested 4-legged parties.
lol.. i love big ol fat cats!

I've used the paper towel method in the Brinseas (hate those bators.. ugh) .. the problem with them is that the fan will suck the paper towel up to the top of the bator and then it messes with the air flow which messed with the temp.. I've taken to using metal clips to hold the papertowels down .. it's still a royal pain in the rear though!.. luckily my Reptipro is great.. there is plenty of air flow but I have never had a stuck chick in it..

I try to move everything to the Reptipro for hatching so I rotate eggs a lot when all the bators are filled to the limit.. most times I'm using the reptipro as an incubator while it's also hatching..

lol...I really need to get a few more Reptipros this summer..

Quote: Thanks. Gonna have to go find some local eggs. My rooster went to "camp" last week or so ago (he was crowing morning noon and night, and he wasn't being very gentle with the girls) so their eggs are no longer fertile. Thank you for the guide picture, I will use that next time and try the dry hatch method.

Thanks. Gonna have to go find some local eggs. My rooster went to "camp" last week or so ago (he was crowing morning noon and night, and he wasn't being very gentle with the girls) so their eggs are no longer fertile. Thank you for the guide picture, I will use that next time and try the dry hatch method.
If it were me, I'd just set a batch of my own eggs right away. Your eggs should still be fertile up to three weeks after your rooster "moved".

Deb

Well, I did the day 14 candling several days ago, and I only have three eggs that are developing. *sigh* at least I have good company. I did order 6 more eggs, so I'm hoping that I end up with at least 4 turkeys this year.

I was going to candle the Guinea eggs again because I am paranoid about them and one cheeped at me! 2 have already pipped and I didn't even get to start lockdown yet. I will just have to make do since the incubator is not ready. I used to do staggered hatches in the now hatcher (before I build the bigger fridge bator) and did well. I just don't really have anywhere to put them. I had to place them around my stacked trays of chicken eggs. I turned the bottom fan off and I hope the temp with stay stable. I put a bunch of jars of water in the bottom as heat sinks and I hope it helps. I will have to monitor the temp. closely. The do have an interesting pip though. It is very large and jagged, like broken glass, not like a small punch hole like chicken eggs. I guess it is because they have such hard eggs (they are REALLY hard to crack).

Back
Top Bottom