First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

More tomato news:

If you do get a late or early frost. If you go out before sun up and hose the frost off the plants, they will be OK. My Great Uncle used to do this. He always put in a huge garden and the only thing he ate out of it was potatoes. But he loved to grow everything! He had tons of it and gave everything away!

I did a little candling tonight. Here is my observations. 1. SHipped eggs lose moisture slower than non-shipped eggs. THis observation includes the 24 shipped eggs which are not showing any air cells at this time(set apr 27). Or they fall into the grouping below. 2. Dead or non-developing eggs lose far less moisture than developing eggs. THere is no apparent air cell in any of the eggs that look clear. ANd every developing egg had an air cell. HELP! ANyone have similar observations . . . or not.
Most of the shipped chicken eggs I get seem to lose weight faster.. could be because I have gotten a bunch of porous eggs for the emu eggs.. the very rotten ones lost very little weight.. other infertiles/scrambled eggs lost just as much weight as a good egg.. so in all I don't think there is really that much of a difference since egg shell porosity seems to also play a big role in it
#2 is out (a Standard Bronze) and 3 and 4 are not far behind. These were all set on Easter day around noon. Turkeys seem to hatch a lot quicker than chickens do. It seems like chickens take forever to go from pip to zip. These turkeys are moving right along.
Here's what I woke up to this morning...
Thanks, Arielle, I'll check into that. And when I think about it, my problems really began when I started ordering eggs. Hmmmm - I wonder if there's a connection?? I do have a question you or someone else might be able to answer. My fan quit half way through this hatch. My DH took it out to fix it, and in the process, attached a plug directly to it. Would you unplug the fan during lock down?
for now i would leave the fan plugged in.. then IF you start to have a problem with chicks getting too dry too fast (shrinkwrapping or dry sticky chicks) then I would unplug it.. but watch your temp just in case it gets wonky on you
IMO keep the fan going. THe air circulates better and the temps stay more even through out the incubator. Someone did a study, and they recommended the fain for this reason. The egg is still developing during the last days, and the air cell needs those days to reach the right size, and a think a fan improves the air quality in the incubator. I'm not an expert, this is based on my experience, and reading. We have some long time hatchers who are welcome to chime in.
the fan does improve the air quality.. but it also depends on how it is blowing across the eggs as to if it will cause any problems or not.. blowing directly on the eggs can cause issues with the chicks drying up before they get out of the shell... but if the fan is just circulating air around it should be ok.. the best thing is to just keep an eye on the hatching eggs.. then turn it off if it starts to cause issues
You know, I forget that y'all are so far away. I have had tomatoes in the ground for three weeks and have blooms and pea sized tomatoes, already. I wonder if the fruit from your areas tastes differently from mine. We all know the difference between store-bought (pink mealy mush) and homegrown (firm, tomatoey deliciousness) but is there a difference in geographical location? I would like to try some of yours and to share some of mine. Anyone willing to consider a "Tomato Swap?" Hey, we already know how to pack them to ship! ETA I planted some in August last year. The plants did well and I had a bunch of late fruit. The tomatoes never got too big (in the South, we pride ourselves on big tomatoes, one slice should cover the bread for a tomato sandwich) but that didn't bother me. What I found interesting, was that they didn't taste as good. They were closer to store bought than homegrown and I wondered if the cooler temps were the reason. We have hot weather into October, (sometimes November!) but it cools off at night starting in September. Hummmmmmm........
I planted mine back in January in the house.. moved them outside in February and finally planted them into the ground a month later.. this is the first year Ihave gotten a tomato plant to flower since we moved.. normally the deer and ducks eat them off to the ground (or the neighbor's cows).. so I'm hoping nothing eats them before they can set decent fruit!

Quote: Kari, Is that an incubator on your dining table?! Girl...you've got IT bad!!
lau.gif

I have six tutors!

Araucana - 2 BBR, 2 DW, 1 Black (BBS) and 1

SHOWGIRL!!!

It is the stinking cutest thing you ever saw. I'm in love already.
love.gif

I can't stay home and watch the rest of the fun. I have to leave in an hour and a half to go have some dental surgery and I will be sedated the rest of the day
hit.gif

Deb

Wow looks like we have hatchlings...I set mine on Monday so they look down today and sorry I've not been on much we've had plenty of family drama no end in sight either...I'll candle mine when I lock them down but my Palm hen hatched 2 stepped on one so I saved the other one it's in the brooder and I have 3 broody turkey hens all in the same house last time this happened they managed to hatch some so I'm thinking about moving the house over to the empty pen there will be some good hissing going on and I'll be looking forwards to be drive bombed by the hens when those little buggers hatch.....

I have six tutors!

Araucana - 2 BBR, 2 DW, 1 Black (BBS) and 1

SHOWGIRL!!!

It is the stinking cutest thing you ever saw. I'm in love already.
love.gif

I can't stay home and watch the rest of the fun. I have to leave in an hour and a half to go have some dental surgery and I will be sedated the rest of the day
hit.gif

Deb
woot.gif
Congrats on the showgirl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCG I hope you come home to three poults today and three chicks.
big_smile.png

Temps and humidity are looking good in the styrobator. I decided to put all the eggs in there for hatching since there is more room for them than in the Brinsea. No pips here yet. I have a busy day today so at least I won't be glued to the bator looking at eggs that look like they have just been set.
wink.png

BTW Wisher you weren't the only one who forgot to PM me their entry, I did miss yours while I was going back through the thread to find them all.
wink.png

Someone asked about not running the fan in the LG/styrobators during lockdown. I know on Rene's dry incbation hatch sheet she suggests turning it off for lockdown. I have not tried this because I have no easy way to turn it off and I don't want to mess up the styrobator. Maybe she can chime in on why she recommends it.
I have found that it will dry out slow hatchers so they get stuck and can't get finished. I think it does depend on the fan, the way it blows across the eggs, the incubator...etc. I throw a paper towel over the eggs and don't let the direct wind hit them. Tape it down, if you must. It keeps the circulation going and diminishes the wind.

The rcom hasn't a way to turn off the fan, even though the humidification fan is separate.
hu.gif

BTW...I got NOTHIN' goin' on here. I have a tutor. One. I am happy, as it's a Heritage Barred Rock, but still...I want some cluckin' action!! And gobblin' action!! C'mon, man!!

Back
Top Bottom