First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

You could try putting some vaseline on a Qtip and gently pushing that back in. then put a bandaid or some superglue on to hold it in. I don't think the chances are good but the alternative is to cull. Sorry, it is very sad.

I guess I have done it again. I have no peeps, no pips, no nothing. To top it off, I lost one of my poults today and have no idea what happened. Came home and it was dead. I am afraid the other one will die from the same thing and I don't even know what that is. I think I had better stick to buying chicks and hatching with broodies. Dang.......

Last edited:
hugs.gif
to all of you having bad hatches and losing poults or chicks. I had to cull a chick (I could have just waited until it died on it's own but it was clearly dying and peeping in distress) after the Easter Hatch and I cried for an hour and a half after doing it. I have a friend that has done it for me in the past but it was time for me to "man up" and take responsibility. I can't imagine it will ever be easy...... I don't think I ever want it to be.

For this hatch, I started with 13 Bourbon Red Turkey eggs from two sources, all picked up within 2 hours of my home. I had two that were clear at first candle and then one at lockdown that was a quitter. I hatched 9 poults and one died... I opened the pip when I discovered my fan was drying the membranes of the pippers... but overnight it died in the shell.

I have one Golden Campine still in the incubator but it didn't look too good but I left it. These were shipped from CA and took two days to get to the Chicago area and another 5 days to get to the hour and a half drive from the suburbs to me......
he.gif

I set 6 of my Icelandics for tutors...5 made it to lockdown...1 early quitter...and all 5 hatched.

Here are some pics I took....I love the EcoGlow 50 that I got because of the reviews on the Easter Hatchalong thread.....but it's hard to take pics of the new hatchlings!!

Pic 1....tutor showing poults the food.....

Poult on left figuring it out....one on right taking an interest....

Others wondering, What's going on out there!

Well things didn't go so well with the guinee eggs. I only ended up with 2. After I turned off the fan during the night the temp. dropped. I think it dried things up in there with less heat. Right after I turned the fan back on one piped and it hatched out easily on its own. The first 2 that pipped, one got stuck and 1 died. I helped the stuck one out and I hope it does okay. I seems very tired. They are very cute, I will get some pictures tommorow. I am very sad about the other eggs. I cracked one open and it had a perfectly formed baby and it was just starting to take in its yolk. I'm sure the rest all look the same. I will leave them in a little longer just in case someone hatches late. I am really getting sick of babies getting to he last few days and dying. I wish I could just figure out how to get past this point.

Update - 15 tutors out (a couple still drying/resting), one more that just has a beak out, which may seal it's fate. I've never seen such a crossed beak. It looks like a pair of bypass pruners. If it doesn't straighten out when the chick finishes hatching, it will stand very little chance of survival.

Anyway, with more messing with than I should have been doing (opening the incubator countless times and actually moving the egg from one incubator to the other), I have all three turkey eggs pipped and actively working on escaping.

I had to move the turkeys by themselves and all the rowdy chicks that still need incubator time to beat each other up by themselves. They can all join back up in the brooder later today.

fl.gif

Please everyone just finish up with no more "events". Besides, I have serama eggs due in 17 short days
ep.gif
I am determined to have a successful hatch with the little stinkers.

Deb
I just had to cull a little RIR that hatched as you described
hugs.gif
love.gif
. It's beak was horribly crossed it only had one eye and the other side of it's face was horribly deformed. It hatched all on it's own though
th.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
I will have to try to get a pic of your beauteous Golden Campines that hatched last month
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Well this hatch has not been very good for me. I wound up with only six poults out of all of those eggs I set. I candled the other seven that made it to lockdown and they were all quitters.
hmm.png
My turkey tutors have not hatched yet but I did see movement in a few of the eggs and I had one that had pipped at the bottom. I left all of those in the bator. I do have one poult that seems to have wry neck. I am giving it vitamins, some baby parrot food and I made a little "cervical collar" out of foam rubber to hopefully get it straightened out. I have it in a cup so that it will stop flipping over but I don't have a lot of hopes this is going to get better. The poult is still very strong so we will see. I might run out and get some ether just in case though. The last time I culled with kitchen shears did not go so well. I would rather use the ether this time. I am very happy with the other five poults and hope to get a few chicks out. Don't know why this hatch did not go so well.

Now on a much happier note...........................................
wee.gif

ANNOUNCING THE WINNER OF THE TURKEY CAPTION CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please PM Jessshan8 with your info for the year Golden Feather Membership!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clap.gif
wee.gif
D.gif
bun.gif
yesss.gif
highfive.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom