First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

we bought a new Icelandic Sheepdog puppy we will pick up Memorial Day weekend.
An Icelandic Sheepdog puppy!!
love.gif
I know you'll be posting pics of it on the Icelandic thread...right?!

Quote: ....might show up?
gig.gif
What's next on the docket for you?

You know, a couple of miles from me is a ranch. I drive past it at least two to three times per week. I always think about stopping to see if they'd be interested in Icelandic chickens (although I only have the two chicks and my luck they are probably both the same sex
gig.gif
). Anyway, they raise Icelandic horses. They could get a real theme going if they added chickens and dogs.

Speaking of chicks, Mary I need to post pictures of my two little ones, maybe you could give me an idea of the color I can expect. They are similarily marked, but one is much redder.

And me??? I have struggled to hatch shipped serama eggs. Tried it twice. Each time half made it to lockdown, but never a pip. I was going to quit but decided to give it one more try. I have a group of 8 (3.5) birds that were given to me by a local BYCer. The problem is there isn't much variety to the color and they are all very closely related. I'd back myself into a corner genetically. I do have 8 of their eggs set right now (day 3) to see if the problem is just shipping is so hard on them (not much bigger than a quail egg). So I do have a set of serama eggs coming in the next couple of weeks.

Other than that, I have a few more chicks coming. I did a reorder on a few breeds. It was totally unnatural, I ordered three breeds, eight each. Got one pullet per breed and the rest cockerels. I'm hoping for a better outcome this time around. I also have a group of turkeys coming from Porter's. I got so into this whole turkey hatch, I decided to go for some different breeds. What's one more pen, right?

Deb

I lowered the temp, raised the humidity and locked down the MiniAdvance EX incubator with six eggs in it last night. Well, yesterday afternoon. I imagined today something in that 'bator is wiggling, because the water in the reservoir is moving sometimes. However, this is an old house and walking across the floor can easily make some vibrations.
fl.gif

A friend of mine from work is coming out this morning to clean my coop. Really. His FIL wants REAL chicken manure, so he's driving all the way out here to shovel coop stuff into a trailer for him. He did the same thing last year when I was living in West Sacramento, and cleaned three smaller coops. This will be easier for him, just the one big walk-in coop. I'm jazzed about it. (It was getting time to do move some of the bedding to the compost whatsit; now I don't have to do that!)

Afterwards, I'm gonna go grocery shopping at the Holiday Market, then pick up some bags 'o soil at Ace Hardware across the street from the grocery. Most folks buy groceries LAST, but I'm not expecting to spend much time wandering around in the hardware store. Join with me in praying that is so..
lol.png

Well. My turkey hatch was a bust. Out of the 5 mw eggs only I made it it lockdown. It was rocking and not piping for a few day is I knew something was wrong so I opened it up to find a almost dead poult with a crossed beak one bubble eye like one of those goldfish and the other eye was so cloudy it was white. An obvious cull, I hate culling.

Hopefully my mothers day chick hatch goes better I have 115 good eggs. :D

We also lost a kitten this morning it had gotten under my husbands recliner and got a head injury. He felt so bad. We tried to save it for a week then she finally passed last night/morning. I guess it's a relief. We have trained the other kittens to stay away from the recliner by squirting them with a water battle hopefully we will have homes for the remaining 3 kittens by next weekend. We are keeping 1 female who will get spayed along with it's mom. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I have a few more chicks coming. I did a reorder on a few breeds. It was totally unnatural, I ordered three breeds, eight each. Got one pullet per breed and the rest cockerels. I'm hoping for a better outcome this time around. I also have a group of turkeys coming from Porter's. I got so into this whole turkey hatch, I decided to go for some different breeds. What's one more pen, right?

Deb
I have 4 9-mo toms that free range. THe grain guy is afraid of them and door to door sales ladies know that they should be afraid of them! My toms are sweet--just had to protect the sales ladies nylons.
gig.gif
I should have let the toms make a run in those perfect nylons--that would keep her from coming back.
wink.png

New Buddies..

these two were hatched the same day... since the emu chick was alone I decided to give him some company...

So cute together. THe emu clear wants company!

Quote: CONGRATS Wisher!!!

Back
Top Bottom