First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Mimddh - I will check that book out, did you like it? Are there any revelations as to how to keep the plants safe other than fencing them in?

Dsqard - Thanks for showing me up with your computer skills in front of Arielle! (JK)
gig.gif
I lost a chick too this morning. Try the broody, it's wonderful! The hen does all the work with temp and humidity, they are so sweet together, and it will make her happy, too! If she quits on you there's always the bator as a back up. Try it, you'll like it! Even I can have sucessful hatches with a broody! HA!
It's a recent purchase, so haven't read cover to cover. Lots of nice pictures, title seems misleading in that show lots of small coops with enclosed runs. Also, the DW and I laughed as we doubt the chickens were living freely in some of these gardens, more likely brought in for a quick picture.
s
SCG tell me how you got the first step done? I can do the rest of it.
wink.png

Seriously, great pics! I think I can build one from those for sure! Thank you for the help!
thumbsup.gif
lau.gif

My BIL had a huge garden and lived next to a man with a few chickens. THe chickens were brought over for bug duty now and then and in return chicken manure went on the garden in the fall. I'm sure the neighbor received a few vegies.

A poult just regurgitated in my hand when I picked it up. I didn't squeeze it. It brought back memories of when I first got geese and they were so upset that I was near them and (the horror!) touching them that they regurgitated their food on and at me. I had no idea turkeys did it too.

hu.gif

A poult just regurgitated in my hand when I picked it up. I didn't squeeze it. It brought back memories of when I first got geese and they were so upset that I was near them and (the horror!) touching them that they regurgitated their food on and at me. I had no idea turkeys did it too.

hu.gif
yup.. their crop is lower in the chest area than in a chicken.. so pressure in the wrong area can cause them to spit up their food

Had a scare with the second poult but it's perked up again, thank goodness.

The tutors are a combination of one chick incubated and hatched from eggs left behind in a nest when a broody quit sitting, two Salmon Favorelle chicks and 3 one-week younger, sexed Delaware chicks (pullets, duh) I purchased from my favorite feed store. They're all in a rectangular parakeet cage with an EcoGlow20; paper towels covering the wire bottom of the cage. A cotton bed sheet is tripled and folded over half of the cage for cover and protection from drafts.

Poult #2 managed to get in the 1.5 inch wide section of the end of the cage NOT covered by the EcoGlow, did not know how to turn around, and also pulled the paper towel "subfloor" up. Then it stepped off the paper and got its legs caught there. And it chilled. Out of view.

But I finally wanted to handle both of them and did not find it when I swept my hand all the way under the EcoGlow. Yikes!

Found it when I pulled the sheet off. Immediately rescued it, kissed its little head, checked it all over - it was very chilled - and then shoved it under the EcoGlow.

Both poults are now moving around following their tutors' examples.

Had a scare with the second poult but it's perked up again, thank goodness.

The tutors are a combination of one chick incubated and hatched from eggs left behind in a nest when a broody quit sitting, two Salmon Favorelle chicks and 3 one-week younger, sexed Delaware chicks (pullets, duh) I purchased from my favorite feed store. They're all in a rectangular parakeet cage with an EcoGlow20; paper towels covering the wire bottom of the cage. A cotton bed sheet is tripled and folded over half of the cage for cover and protection from drafts.

Poult #2 managed to get in the 1.5 inch wide section of the end of the cage NOT covered by the EcoGlow, did not know how to turn around, and also pulled the paper towel "subfloor" up. Then it stepped off the paper and got its legs caught there. And it chilled. Out of view.

But I finally wanted to handle both of them and did not find it when I swept my hand all the way under the EcoGlow. Yikes!

Found it when I pulled the sheet off. Immediately rescued it, kissed its little head, checked it all over - it was very chilled - and then shoved it under the EcoGlow.

Both poults are now moving around following their tutors' examples.
Yikes, Linda, good thing you found it when you did!!

1 poult out and a second internally pipped. The other 3 I put in lock down were quitters. The one that hatched is from a Denny X egg and the one internally pipped is a Royal Palm. I'm hoping the RP hatches and is a hen so I have a pair. The other RP eggs I swapped for were destroyed by the post office.

1 poult out and a second internally pipped. The other 3 I put in lock down were quitters. The one that hatched is from a Denny X egg and the one internally pipped is a Royal Palm. I'm hoping the RP hatches and is a hen so I have a pair. The other RP eggs I swapped for were destroyed by the post office.

Fingers crossed for a RP hen hatching.
fl.gif

I have 6 out now. 4 Are with the tutors and doing well. Number 5 was stuck, and we helped. Its not fluffed up very well, it looks like its fluff is dried together, its a little better now than when we went to bed, maybe the higher humidity when number 6 hatched helped. Can I give it a gentle warm bath, or lightly scrub with a warm damp cloth to get the dried stuff off it so it would fluff up better ?

Number 6 that hatched overnight has some of the yolk sac left, I hope he makes it.

Back
Top Bottom