First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Quote: . . . . the 11th and 12th.
lau.gif

After eggtopy of two normal looking poults with egg yolk not drawn in I have turned into a nervous-nelly. I have turkeys due to hatch over the next 3 weekends. AND a bunch waiting to go into the incubator.

I watched the tom at work the other day, totally squashing one of the 3 hens. SHe was laying there just about crushed under his weight , stock still , but otherwise not participating. So I looked at the turkey eggs tonight in the incubator, only pulled 1 clear. Seems like she must co-operate sometimes.

. . . . the 11th and 12th.
lau.gif

After eggtopy of two normal looking poults with egg yolk not drawn in I have turned into a nervous-nelly. I have turkeys due to hatch over the next 3 weekends. AND a bunch waiting to go into the incubator.

I watched the tom at work the other day, totally squashing one of the 3 hens. SHe was laying there just about crushed under his weight , stock still , but otherwise not participating. So I looked at the turkey eggs tonight in the incubator, only pulled 1 clear. Seems like she must co-operate sometimes.

lol.. have you candled yet to see if you have internal pips?

I lost one of my two poults today through misadventure. They seem to get themselves into places from which chicks can more easily extricate themselves.

Poults are a little more challenged than chicks.

In general, DH and I are amazed at the intelligence of the chickens. I do wonder if because turkeys developed in open woods and fields that they didn't need to cope with the obstacles humans now provide. LOL

Quote: LOL last week I kept looking when I had the hatch date as Sunday . . . now that they are in lock down for real, I stopped looking !!! Duh!
I just finished candling the eggs in the LG. THese are the 2 BR turkey due the 11th and 12th and a few pullet eggs that I worried were drying too much.

I can see so well thru the whitish eggs! I can see the poult curled up ! But no internal pip . . . I didn't see it move at all . . . .
hmm.png
Dead? IDK. But definitely worried.

Gosh so sorry to hear about the poor hatches and losing poults. This doesn't seem to be the year of the turkey for some of us. I have three Lurkey eggs collected and I am going to collect probably three more before trying the broodie experiment. SCG I think I am going to see if I have enough scraps laying around to build that broodie box big enough for the two of them and then put them in the box for a few days before giving them eggs like you suggested. Definitely going to get some food right next to them. The one lav AM girl is already skinny even though I make her get off the nest at least once a day (eats for a few minutes and then right back on the nest, I think she is serious) I have to get another "project" done today first though.

Does anyone mind if I ask an off topic question? I know most of us are moms and as we are a great resource for chickens . . . .I wondered if there are places for parents to connect like we do? Would love to find the support and connections like here on BYC.

For those of you losing poults, are you feeding medicated feed? I know they are very sensitive to digestive trouble and medicated starter is recommended by some. Also my hatchery friend says she can't brood her poults and chicks together without the poults dieing for no apparent reason. I have never had a problem with it but there it is. Maybe after the first couple of training days it would be better to separate the chicks from the turkeys? May depend on the organisms you have in your environment. I also don't feed the medicated starter but I do give them clumps of dirt and grass and it seems to help them get the beneficial organisms they need. Haven't lost any yet.
fl.gif

Does anyone mind if I ask an off topic question? I know most of us are moms and as we are a great resource for chickens . . . .I wondered if there are places for parents to connect like we do? Would love to find the support and connections like here on BYC.
Have you ever tried CafeMom? I use it and like it alot.

Back
Top Bottom