First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Now, that is funny! How long have you two been together? You would think a little bird poop wouldn't be such a big deal to him by now!
Wisher, we have been together for 11 years now. We have only had the chickens for two but he had two sons with his first wife so you would think he would realize that poo washes off. In fact I know he knows this since last Friday he was cleaning the horse pens for me and fell. It had been raining in the morning and the soil out here is basically dried clay so when it gets wet it gets slippery. He went down in a mess of poo and mud in one of the pens. He of course took a shower after he was done so he really should have been able to put the two thoughts together.
wink.png

Apparently your DH took it as a personal affront that the little poult poo'd in his shoes deliberately.
big_smile.png

Your story of paddock clean up reminded me of a late evening after dark many, many years ago. Our soil gets gooshy when the rains come, and the area close to the barn where the horses stand stays almost decent but still risky. I was checking on the horses, and moving horse to horse holding on to them for stability and managing quite well to stay on my feet. And then I lost my balance, falling backwards, my left foot flew up almost over my head, so it seemed, because my shoe had left my foot and went sailing far into the mucky, very mucky turnout. I pulled myself up with the aid of a horse and stood on one foot. I had been trying so hard to keep my feet clean and nowI was covered in yuck and still needed to retrieve my shoe I would purposely trod thru this manurey mud in stocking foot.
th.gif
THank goodness for showers.

Quote:
,,, And then I lost my balance, falling backwards, my left foot flew up almost over my head, so it seemed, because my shoe had left my foot and went sailing far into the mucky, very mucky turnout. I pulled myself up with the aid of a horse and stood on one foot. I had been trying so hard to keep my feet clean and nowI was covered in yuck and still needed to retrieve my shoe I would purposely trod thru this manurey mud in stocking foot.
th.gif

Sorry, but I had to laugh, as much at visualizing the mess as the perplexed looks on the horses' faces as they wonder what the heck you are doing rolling around on the ground.
gig.gif

Apparently your DH took it as a personal affront that the little poult poo'd in his shoes deliberately.
big_smile.png

Your story of paddock clean up reminded me of a late evening after dark many, many years ago. Our soil gets gooshy when the rains come, and the area close to the barn where the horses stand stays almost decent but still risky. I was checking on the horses, and moving horse to horse holding on to them for stability and managing quite well to stay on my feet. And then I lost my balance, falling backwards, my left foot flew up almost over my head, so it seemed, because my shoe had left my foot and went sailing far into the mucky, very mucky turnout. I pulled myself up with the aid of a horse and stood on one foot. I had been trying so hard to keep my feet clean and nowI was covered in yuck and still needed to retrieve my shoe I would purposely trod thru this manurey mud in stocking foot.
th.gif

lol.. I just go barefoot.. feet wash really well!

Quote: Yes, my boys are barefoot all the time !!! For me, I have too many babies that like to visit and don't understand personal space yet . ..... . my feet are at risk . . . broke a toe with my shoe on!! LOL Took 3 months to heal.

I had a horse out last night.SHoes on, shoes off. Repeat!! Heard the stallion -mare squeal very clearly. Raced out after throwing on my good shoes because they were faster than sneakers. ALL looked well. Back in the house trying to watch Jessie Stone, and again squeal. Huh?? Decided to lock up the young 3 yr old stallion (Prince)as he has a common fence with the mares. Back in the house. Screaming again. Back out to visit everyone, one stallion, Charlie ROse, is blowing, I figured he was running in his paddock( nite turnout) with the chaos. Back in the house. Screaming. Back out. THere he is, Charlie Rose, puffed up big at the gate screaming at the herd gelding aka herd stallion. THrew a rope around his neck and lead him into the empty paddock vacated by the 3 yr old stallion earlier. Went to investigate Charlie Roses' paddock and his back gate was wide open!!! He was running in the dark behind the barn between his turnout and mares' turnout. Now I could put him back in his paddock and stopping running back and forth. I always wear shoes. lol

On another note--turkeys--what is a reasonable hatch rate? Has another looked into this??? I've seen chicken rates, does this apply to turkeys??? Just curious and know this is the bunch to ask!!

On another note--turkeys--what is a reasonable hatch rate? Has another looked into this??? I've seen chicken rates, does this apply to turkeys??? Just curious and know this is the bunch to ask!!

I get 90 to 100%... but that's on home grown eggs..

last year I bought some shipped turkeys eggs..
first shipment was in really bad shape (lots of cracked eggs.. loose air cells).. out of 11 eggs received only 2 of those hatched.. most were scrambled in transit (18% hatch rate)

second shipment was 19 eggs.. 14 hatched (74% hatch rate)

you will find that some people have really low hatch rates because they incubate with too high of humidity (and too low at hatch).. so you'll have to take that into consideration since it's a very common error and will really bring down the average hatch rate

I get 90 to 100%... but that's on home grown eggs..

last year I bought some shipped turkeys eggs..
first shipment was in really bad shape (lots of cracked eggs.. loose air cells).. out of 11 eggs received only 2 of those hatched.. most were scrambled in transit (18% hatch rate)

second shipment was 19 eggs.. 14 hatched (74% hatch rate)

you will find that some people have really low hatch rates because they incubate with too high of humidity (and too low at hatch).. so you'll have to take that into consideration since it's a very common error and will really bring down the average hatch rate

what is the best humidity for incubating? and hatching? (turkeys) This is my rookie year :)

Back
Top Bottom