First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

And I agree, they do best with Salmon, it is the lowest protein of the four types (lamb, poultry, bison). The lower protein seems to make the problem
sickbyc.gif
better.

(I love my Emma, but she does lie on the couch with me
sickbyc.gif
)

Deb
I haven't looked at the ingredient list yet, are Lactobacillus and the like added to the food?

Yes.

I started taking a L. bacillius pill daily and I fell much better. I feed a supplement to my horses, too. Wonder if I can feed it to my dogs. . .

Gotta go A woman is stopping to buy one of my toms from last year. As a pet!

THe woman was really funny, my turkey boys came over to visit and started their usual parade, tap danced mud onto her feet, she brushed off the mud, and I'm thinking 'Why does this woman want a turkey?" THe boys continue to try to impress her and she definitely liked one over the other and he gets loaded into a dog crate; and then says she may be back next payday for the other one!
gig.gif
I hope she does. These BR toms are sweet!
fl.gif

On a sad note, the turkey poult passed away. I don't think I had enough time to see the effects of the Vit E/ Se powder. ANd next time I would invest in baby parrot food. THe crumbles and egg yolk was too difficult to feed. I don't think the poult was getting enough to eat. And a special tip for the eye dropper that is very narrow but soft to fit in the mouth better.

ON a good note I have more BR eggs in the hatcher!!

Arielle, I have to agree with you on the BR toms. They are very well behaved (well at least the one I still have is) Never a mean move towards me and he is pretty forgiving when the chickens mess with him although he has let them know that pulling his feathers is NOT allowed. Quick peck to the head and they got the message.
wink.png

Oh such a good boy! Only an admonishing peck!

My BR boys are missing all the tail feathers, all the tall white ones, because the muscovy male chases them and attacks the tail feathers breaking them. THe BR toms(30#) runaway with the muscovy drake(10#) waddling at top speed. A hilarious sight.
gig.gif
(Drake has clipped wings)

Oh such a good boy! Only an admonishing peck!

My BR boys are missing all the tail feathers, all the tall white ones, because the muscovy male chases them and attacks the tail feathers breaking them. THe BR toms(30#) runaway with the muscovy drake(10#) waddling at top speed. A hilarious sight.
gig.gif
(Drake has clipped wings)

That's hilarious! I can just see it
lau.gif

A couple of weeks ago, one of my (favorite) hens came up missing. I knew that she could be on a nest but after not seeing her for a while, figured she was taken by a hawk (she was the smallest in my flock.) Early this morning, I found where a stray dog had killed her. I took off work and hunted and hunted till I found the nest. It was under a building and I had to dig a huge hole to get the eggs. I have them in the incubator and have candled a couple and saw movement! Here's the problem, I have no idea what day they are on. The air cells look like they are not far along (day 9?) but some of the ones I candled looked dark and full. How long do I turn them? Do I turn them till they pip? Should I wait for internal pips (peeps?) Or do I just guess when to stop and hope for the best? I am going to try to get those air cells bigger by keeping the humidity low until I see a pip. They were being incubated by the hen on bare dirt. How do you determine day 18 and lockdown when you don't know when they started? Anyone?

A couple of weeks ago, one of my (favorite) hens came up missing. I knew that she could be on a nest but after not seeing her for a while, figured she was taken by a hawk (she was the smallest in my flock.) Early this morning, I found where a stray dog had killed her. I took off work and hunted and hunted till I found the nest. It was under a building and I had to dig a huge hole to get the eggs. I have them in the incubator and have candled a couple and saw movement! Here's the problem, I have no idea what day they are on. The air cells look like they are not far along (day 9?) but some of the ones I candled looked dark and full. How long do I turn them? Do I turn them till they pip? Should I wait for internal pips (peeps?) Or do I just guess when to stop and hope for the best? I am going to try to get those air cells bigger by keeping the humidity low until I see a pip. They were being incubated by the hen on bare dirt. How do you determine day 18 and lockdown when you don't know when they started?  Anyone?

When I had goose eggs I wasn't sure about, I wrote my guess on the egg but candled everyother day. When they got close, I candled daily until I saw moving in the air cell then quit turning.

I had duds in the nest to get them to lay there.I collected eggs. I checked the "duds" for stinking but they weren't the duds under the broody and I was giving her goslings. One of the other geese was laying and the broody took her eggs. All ended up hatching fine.

Back
Top Bottom