First Chicks - Garage Brooder

Your temperatures in the garage are better than mine when I start chicks outdoors (lows in 40s). Brooder plates should work fine in the 50s, but double check the instructions that came with your plate for more info.

Just for reassurance, I've got 5-day-old chicks outside in my outdoor brooder with expected temperatures in the 20's tonight.

They've got their plate, a generous pile of deep shavings, and the Big Red Bulb keeping the area around the plate well above freezing.

do you think I'd be able to keep the chickens in the brooder until they're ready for the coop? I'm hoping not to have to get a bigger brooder! lol

The guidelines aren't as well-agreed-upon for chicks as they are for adults, but what's usually recommended is as follows:

1/2 square foot per chick for the first couple weeks,
1 square foot up to 4-6 weeks,
2 square feet up to 8-10 weeks,
after that the full adult 4 square feet.

I have a vastly-oversized brooder -- 4x8 -- and they use the entire thing from about 2 weeks old.

Garage brooder! Lol sorry i wasn’t clear on that!
And for how long do you think you'll keep them in there? @3KillerBs posted a good general guideline to reference - so your brooder should theoretically be good up to around 5, 6 weeks, but like her I've also noticed that chicks will use up all available space and may start getting rambunctious around 2 weeks, knocking things over and such.

And for how long do you think you'll keep them in there? @3KillerBs posted a good general guideline to reference - so your brooder should theoretically be good up to around 5, 6 weeks, but like her I've also noticed that chicks will use up all available space and may start getting rambunctious around 2 weeks, knocking things over and such.

Personally, and without any scientific backing, I think it's good for the chicks to be able to run around a large area in order to develop strong muscles and endurance -- just like with human children. :)

Greetings good people of the forum. My 10 new chicks will be coming in the first week of March, and I imagine the nights can be as cold as 10 F or less, at night. (-12.22 Centigrade)
I wanted to keep then in the garage, but sometime it gets to below freezing in there. Will a chick brooder heating plate keep them warm enough? Or will I need to put them inside the house with the brooder plate? And any suggestions on the best brooder plate? The ones with legs. I am in Idaho Falls area of Idaho.

Last edited:
I wanted to keep then in the garage, but sometime it gets to below freezing in there. Will a chick brooder heating plate keep them warm enough? Or will I need to put them inside the house with the brooder plate? And any suggestions on the best brooder plate? The ones with legs.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile it will help people give you better-targeted advice.

Most brooder plates are designed to work in moderate temperatures and say what they're rated for in the sales information.

Just for reassurance, I've got 5-day-old chicks outside in my outdoor brooder with expected temperatures in the 20's tonight.

They've got their plate, a generous pile of deep shavings, and the Big Red Bulb keeping the area around the plate well above freezing.

The guidelines aren't as well-agreed-upon for chicks as they are for adults, but what's usually recommended is as follows:

1/2 square foot per chick for the first couple weeks,
1 square foot up to 4-6 weeks,
2 square feet up to 8-10 weeks,
after that the full adult 4 square feet.

I have a vastly-oversized brooder -- 4x8 -- and they use the entire thing from about 2 weeks old.
Okay! I’m hoping by 6 weeks the weather here in Texas would be suitable for them to head out to the coop!

Thanks for the general rule of thumb!

I actually use a modified rubbermaid tub for the first 2-3 days I have chicks. I cut out one side and put plastic garden fencing over it. Did the same with the lid, cut a rectangle in the middle and covered with garden fencing. This allows air to circulate. I keep it up on a table so I can approach at their level. The mesh comes off the side so I can open it that way and change out feed & water, have a TV to look in instead of over, and can reach in to get them if needed without coming over the top. Fun to pull up a chair & just watch. A few days in, after everyone is healthy and strong, I move them to one of my larget brooders, a 3x4 dog crate or a 3x5 ish watermelon bin. The crate opens from the side, & I cut a drawbridge type door in the side of the watermelon bin as well so I have side access.

Rubbermaid tubs can get overheated with no modifications, but the side cut out helps air circulation (and provides a great view!)

Yes it's the kind that has 4 adjustable feet.

do you think I'd be able to keep the chickens in the brooder until they're ready for the coop? I'm hoping not to have to get a bigger brooder! lol
This is my setup. Garage in homemade box. I have a lamp and a plate and they’ve done just fine from day 1 to day 12 so far. It’s been about 20 degrees at night in unheated garage.

I’m new to my own flock, but have had family chickens all my life. Only posting my personal setup due to it being similar to your situation- by no means am I qualified to give advice! 😂

Attachments

• 7DCC89B6-6035-4FE3-8530-11DFEDCA2AF2.jpeg
    7DCC89B6-6035-4FE3-8530-11DFEDCA2AF2.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom