First clutch, Quail eggs, Inc day 5?

Day 8 and my egg candler broke :( waiting on a new one in the post, fingers crossed it comes before day 13/14, my lockdown day!

Well I caved and candled the 3 that looked nice and dark with my phone torch and low and behold I have beautiful red veins. I even seen movement in one of the eggs what a lovely mothers day surprise haha hopefully I'm gunna be a chick mummy soon!!

Thankyouu can i ask a quick question, I've been looking at starter feeds but can't decide on a certain brand is there a particular one you would recommend for my chicks if they hatch? Thanks again :)

Well, I was told they need 32% protein, but the highest I can find is Manna Pro gamebird/showbird and its only 24%. Mine seem to be growing fine on it, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer. Maybe check the quail threads. I don't think I'm going to keep mine now, so I haven't given it much more thought or research. Sorry.

Thankyou for getting back to me so soon yeah I've heard 26-30% so I will have a check around first and maybe nip to my local pet shop for a small amount just incase they do hatch to last them a few days before investing in a higher amount of food lol

Day 10 and lots of movement and lots of veins in 3 eggs so fingers crossed for them still I'm going to do lockdown day on day 13 which is Wednesday as I recently read that Japanese quail can hatch from day 14-17 or there after my original day for lockdown was 14 but I feel id rather be early then to late will update lockdown day
1f44d.png
1f423.png

Day 12 getting tooooo excited now, definitely 3 viable eggs that look like yours when candled duck chick! :) I have also decided my lockdown day is now day 14 x forgot to mention lots and lots of movement from all 3!

Last edited:
Did an eggtopsy today on the eggs that didnt look so good 3 were fertile but looked to have died within the first few days, 2 were completely scrambled probably due to posting,3 were infertile and one formed eyes and little limbs but must have quit around the week mark as it didn't develop any vuable veins when candled poor lil chicky, so it's just my 3 lovely viable eggs left in the incubator now fingers crossed for them <3

Thankyou duckchick congrats on your pippers lol and tbh I don't feel to downhearted as it's my first hatch so would have bin alot more work involved if they all did indeed hatch, just means more care and attention for the remaining 3 :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom