First Coop/Run Build - Looking for Guidance/Comments on Design

Homer426

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2023
Central New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
Hello BYC!
Long time lurker, first time poster here. As the title suggests, I'm looking for some comments/guidance on the design of our coop/run before I start making some sawdust. My primary concern is ventilation and temperature control. In central NJ it gets hot and muggy in the summer and the winters are not too bad but there are definitely nights were the temps get into the 20s and below.

The coop itself will be 8'x8' which will easily house the 6 chicks we currently have and allows for expansion due to chicken math. The run is 20'x10' plus includes a 2'x8' slice next to the coop.

The part of the yard where the coop/run will be located is fully shaded by about 11:00 am so the run will only be covered by hardware cloth instead of a roof except for the 2' section next to the coop where the coop's roof will extend down to cover that part of the run. I also plan to have a predator apron around the entire perimeter of the coop run. We have plenty of baddies in the neighborhood (racoons, fox, skunks, hawks, turkey vultures)

Coop and Run.jpg

Everything is in pencil so I can make edits as needed!

On the ventilation question, I am thinking of using hardware cloth in the triangle portion of the sides below the roof as shown below. There will also be ventilation in the soffits on the edges of the roof so is the hardware cloth here too much and would I be better served with a solid wall and just a square vent near the peak?
SE - Nesting and Storage.jpg

The coop itself will be 2' off the ground and have hardware cloth on the 2 sides that are outside of the run (SE and NE sides). The SE side will have the external nesting boxes and 2 external storage areas running the length of the coop. The windows on the SE and NW sides open out and will have hardware cloth on the inside to keep the bad guys out. The side that opens into the run (NW) will have 2 doors that open for cleaning and will also be open below the coop.

NW - Opens to Run.jpg

The NE and SW sides will have a sliding window in the middle that will also have hardware cloth to keep out the bad guys. This also shows where the soffit ventilation would be located as well as the height of the roosting bars.

NE and SW Mirror.jpg

Finally, here is a top down view of the coop showing the positioning of the roosting bars (about 18" from the walls and 3' off the ground) with ramps to get up there. I am going with 3' off the ground because I'm leaving 8-10 inches for bedding then another foot for the height of the nesting boxes.

Coop Top Down.jpg

So that's my plan. What do you think? What would you change? What can I do better?

First, :welcome.

And good job on planning things out before you build.
As far as the 2' under the coop, just be aware you will be on you stomach in chicken poop retrieving a sick chicken or eggs that will be deposited there. Personally, I'd nix that idea, and cover more of the run. Your run will need support for snow load in the winter. HC will collect the heavy wet snow and the potential of collapsing is real.

Ventilation. Definitely do the soffit and the gables. On the gables, split the siding at the peak of the roof, and hinge those from the top. You can then open and close those from the bottom as needed to control drafts.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

You've been doing your research for sure.

On the gables, split the siding at the peak of the roof, and hinge those from the top. You can then open and close those from the bottom as needed to control drafts.

This is an excellent idea.

Top hinged windows/vent covers are an excellent way to control ventilation and protect the vents from weather.

Been designing and building my first coop and my design is better for BYC. Looking at your poop door and your nesting boxes being so low it might be difficult to do deep bedding. I raised mine up a foot, I've read some like 18 inches of bedding.

Hello BYC!
Long time lurker, first time poster here. As the title suggests, I'm looking for some comments/guidance on the design of our coop/run before I start making some sawdust. My primary concern is ventilation and temperature control. In central NJ it gets hot and muggy in the summer and the winters are not too bad but there are definitely nights were the temps get into the 20s and below.

The coop itself will be 8'x8' which will easily house the 6 chicks we currently have and allows for expansion due to chicken math. The run is 20'x10' plus includes a 2'x8' slice next to the coop.

The part of the yard where the coop/run will be located is fully shaded by about 11:00 am so the run will only be covered by hardware cloth instead of a roof except for the 2' section next to the coop where the coop's roof will extend down to cover that part of the run. I also plan to have a predator apron around the entire perimeter of the coop run. We have plenty of baddies in the neighborhood (racoons, fox, skunks, hawks, turkey vultures)

View attachment 3442232

On the ventilation question, I am thinking of using hardware cloth in the triangle portion of the sides below the roof as shown below. There will also be ventilation in the soffits on the edges of the roof so is the hardware cloth here too much and would I be better served with a solid wall and just a square vent near the peak?
View attachment 3442241

The coop itself will be 2' off the ground and have hardware cloth on the 2 sides that are outside of the run (SE and NE sides). The SE side will have the external nesting boxes and 2 external storage areas running the length of the coop. The windows on the SE and NW sides open out and will have hardware cloth on the inside to keep the bad guys out. The side that opens into the run (NW) will have 2 doors that open for cleaning and will also be open below the coop.

View attachment 3442247

The NE and SW sides will have a sliding window in the middle that will also have hardware cloth to keep out the bad guys. This also shows where the soffit ventilation would be located as well as the height of the roosting bars.

View attachment 3442252

Finally, here is a top down view of the coop showing the positioning of the roosting bars (about 18" from the walls and 3' off the ground) with ramps to get up there. I am going with 3' off the ground because I'm leaving 8-10 inches for bedding then another foot for the height of the nesting boxes.

View attachment 3442253

So that's my plan. What do you think? What would you change? What can I do better?
Looks like a winner.

Hello BYC!

View attachment 3442232

View attachment 3442241

View attachment 3442247

View attachment 3442252

View attachment 3442253

There has obviously been a lot of brain storming on these plans…That looks like an ideal setup… Keep posting as Iwould love to see when finished 🙏🏻🐔🐣

Back
Top Bottom